Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2015 S1000RR exhaust mount (another option)  (Read 38581 times)

Online Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
Re: 2015 S1000RR exhaust mount (another option)
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Noggie [+]
Well, I finally decided on the slip-on, and ordered a Cobra Ultrashort for a -15 RR.

Plan was to replace the system today........ until I found out that BMW put nuts with 12-sides on the exhaust manifold, and my standard 6-sided socket set is useless.
This means I will have to buy tools, and most places don't have 12-sided socket sets, so I might have to outsource the job to my regular mechanic.

Anyways, I'm getting closer to completing this project, and here is the Cobra can.

I quite like the look of that slip-on, perhaps because I was looking at building a custom shotgun style exhaust for mine at some stage using 2 Termignoni carbon silencers....
I hope the dB killer works well, otherwise it will end up being loud as hell.

Interesting comment on the tools - here in SA the 12 sided sockets are the norm, and you typically have to special order 6 sided ones as hardware shops don't carry them (unless they are impact sockets, of course)
My trusty little 3/8" drive Mastercraft set did the job easily, you will just need a universal joint as well as 2 of the inner nuts sit at a weird angle relative to the exhaust piping.
I got nothing.....

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Stavanger
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Enzio [+]
I quite like the look of that slip-on, perhaps because I was looking at building a custom shotgun style exhaust for mine at some stage using 2 Termignoni carbon silencers....
I hope the dB killer works well, otherwise it will end up being loud as hell.

Interesting comment on the tools - here in SA the 12 sided sockets are the norm, and you typically have to special order 6 sided ones as hardware shops don't carry them (unless they are impact sockets, of course)
My trusty little 3/8" drive Mastercraft set did the job easily, you will just need a universal joint as well as 2 of the inner nuts sit at a weird angle relative to the exhaust piping.

Since the RR exhaust still has cat's I think it will be OK, not too loud, but louder than stock.

I have a 1/4" metric set with 6 sided sockets, also have a 1/4" inch set that is 12 sided, but those will "almost fit" and I'd hate to mess up the nuts. 6 sided is the norm here nowadays, I can probably get 12 sided but I expect it will be expensive and have to be ordered with lead time.
Sucks to have a trolley full of tools, and then you end up needing something "special" to do a simple job.

Online lospsi

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
I didn't find any problem buying 12 side socket for cheap in a random hardware store here too. Doesn't some tools have in one side the 6 side socket and in the other side the 12 side one?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:57:44 PM by lospsi »

Online ogi22

• S1000R Member
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
Soo.. it is worth that i upgrade my akrapovic short slip on with 15" RR headers?
maybe with akrapovic update SW will be delete low rpm lag or i need to buy PCV?

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Found a set at a more "advanced" tool store, for 85 euros, but its a Teng Tools so proper quality.
Guess I'll have to go by tomorrow and pick up a set.
My regular mechanic was taking bookings from May 7th and onwards.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by ogi22 [+]
Soo.. it is worth that i upgrade my akrapovic short slip on with 15" RR headers?
maybe with akrapovic update SW will be delete low rpm lag or i need to buy PCV?

If you have an Akrapovic slip-on on your -R, it won't fit the -RR pipe without a link pipe.
If you do this mod, you need to buy an -RR slip-on.

Sound wise I guess you can just youtube for -15/-16 RR with just a slip-on for an impression.

I will post a video when I do my mod.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
Well guys, "all done".

I did bring the Go-pro and got some footage that will become a video eventually.
No major issues, took me about 3 hours to do.
Had to go and buy new bolts for the rear exhaust mounts, and I need to fabricate a bracket for the slip-on, its just a bit off the mount, so temporary used a zip tie.

At first the bike was crazy loud, then I figured out I had pinched the cables to the valve and it was constantly open, Idle was very loud, and on my little test ride I had a loud bike that droned a lot under 4000rpm, then sounded great.
Once I got the cables worked out and got the valve operating it was louder than stock, but ok, haven't test ridden since I fixed the valve. The sound has changed quite a bit, could be the slip on...... which in my mind looks fantastic.

Offline Noggie

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2018, 07:08:41 PM »
So I finally got around to getting my install video put together.

Might give some people who are considering this mod some answers.

There are minor issues, all can be overcome fairly easy.

Online ogi22

• S1000R Member
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Noggie [+]
So I finally got around to getting my install video put together.

Might give some people who are considering this mod some answers.

There are minor issues, all can be overcome fairly easy.

Fantastic video! Tnx u help me alot ;-)

Offline leon

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1kr '18, gs450e
  • City / Town: Breda
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »
Great idea to use the system of a DoubleR instead of going full blown titanium aftermarket!
I live in the Netherlands and I'm sure that I'll get pulled over soon. The bike itself (with the Akrapovic slip-on) is quite loud on it's own already. Going for an open system will get me pulled over. We've got quite some drivers driving too loud quads in the city center using open exhaust systems and only drive first gear/high RPM's. The only question remains, will it also work with the latest models of the DoubleR and the SingleR?

But to be honest, I'd like to have a more compact system. Pretty much like Hutchbilt did on his BMW R80. Or for a more modern example, like the Triumph Street TripleRS.

BMW R80, Hutchbilt Custom:

Triumph Street TripleRS:

But first, let's break mine in before starting to go full out on the bike :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:11:31 AM by leon »
Daily: BMW s1000r. Custom: Suzuki GS450e CafRacer

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor