BMW S1000R

Main S1000R Boards => S1000R - General Chat => Topic started by: SimonS1KR on October 24, 2019, 09:27:24 PM

Title: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on October 24, 2019, 09:27:24 PM
So, after just over 4 years of ownership, I've decided to move on from my much-loved 2015 S1000R.  It has, quite simply, given me the most smiles per mile of any bike I've owned so far.  It has given me much fun on the mountain roads of the Austrian Alps, the Pyrenees and the Dolomites and never missed a beat.  There were only a couple of notable issues in 15,000 miles - faulty LH switchgear and disappearing coolant - both fixed under warranty.

However, I've had a hankering to ride something different for a while for a few reasons.  Aside from the CG125 that I learned to ride on, it's been IL4s all the way. SWMBO would like to start riding pillion again. I find myself riding with a range of different people who aren't so focussed on speed and performance.  My left elbow has been giving me grief.

I tried a Super Duke GT a few weeks ago and was generally impressed with the bike.  The low end lumpiness wasn't great but the poor experience I had with two different dealers really put me off.  Then, an ex-S1000R owning friend at work mentioned that he was currently riding a GS and told me I might be surprised if I tried one. Now, the GS has never been on my radar, but I figured a boxer twin is very different from an IL4, the pillion perch would be much more comfortable for her indoors and it wouldn't feel like such a caged beast when I'm out with other riding friends... so what the hell?

So, last weekend, I took a 1250 GS out for a test ride.  I'm a bit of a shorty, but the dealer was quite happy to pop the low seat on the demo bike which let me flat-foot it. It felt massively alien at first, but I gave it a good 100 miles of Welsh A and B roads and a stint on the M5 motorway.  For sure it isn't a sports bike, but it has a huge amount of torque and can still get a wriggle on.  It's also undeniably a heavy bike, but this is much less apparent on the move.  I didn't expect 3rd gear overtakes in Dynamic mode to have the front wheel skipping off the road. And that, as they say, was that.  Part ex agreed, deposit put down and hopefully a brand new 1250 GS will be delivered on my birthday in December.

I've really enjoyed being a member of this forum, it's been great to be part of the s1000r.co.uk community. I'll most likely continue to lurk here to keep in touch with all things R-related. In the meantime, I'll be posting a few goodies for sale as I de-mod my bike ready for the trade in.  Happy riding to you all!

Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: zombie on October 24, 2019, 09:32:15 PM
While the GS is way too heavy for my liking, it's by all accounts one of the most capable all-rounders there is. 

Enjoy the ride!
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: nrthrnbkr on October 24, 2019, 09:50:25 PM
Youíve provided some really invaluable experience and advice here - good luck with the bike - a riding pal had the 1200 RS and has just bought a GS1250 for exactly the same touring and passenger reasons  - enjoy !
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: windyrun on October 24, 2019, 10:29:47 PM
Congratulations on the purchase! Hoping you will be enjoying many new experiences and fun on your new GS :)
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: VARRAKK on October 25, 2019, 11:19:00 AM
It is certainly not a downgrade, just a different style.

I have long been wanting an Adventure bike for myself.
Got my eyes on the Africa Twin, but it will be an addition to my stable, not a replacement.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Hooligan on October 25, 2019, 12:30:42 PM
Too many great bikes, not enough money or space to cater to all my riding whims! Enjoy the transition to the GS. I'm sure it won't disappoint. Ride safe.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: MarketSquareHero on October 25, 2019, 05:17:26 PM
Hope it's good for you mate.
I did the same about 5 years back,CB1000R to a GS Adv.Big mistake,only had it 5 months and traded it for the S1000R.
Not knocking the bike, it just wasn't for me
Most people love them.

Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: beech on October 26, 2019, 05:54:35 PM
All the best with the new bike. Nice to have the pillion used. Among the group of friends I ride with a GS1250 and two R1250RS bikes have been purchased in the past few months. The RS only weighs 530 lbs. and with the low seat fits almost anyone in that zone. But... I've had a couple of GS bikes, but the new one with the self leveling suspension and other goodies will be a treat.
Go here and start to make the change. some of the posts are a little snarky.
https://advrider.com/f/forums/gs-boxers.3/
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: subs_p on October 26, 2019, 07:41:55 PM
Iíve only been riding a few years and itís always been either a 125cc two stroke or an IL4...recently bought an XSR900 on behalf of a friend and was blown away by the three stroke engine, very nice mixture of the torque of a two cylinder and the stability of an IL4..not too bad on fuel either! Seriously considering trading my Honda in for an MT09 at some point in the future once Iíve clocked up 100k on it. I used to have a GSXR which I got rid of because sitting on it gave me terrible shoulder, back, and neck pain. Tried a Vulcan at one point, which gave me terrible lower back pain! Test rode an XR once...couldnít get my short legs on the ground at any point without pretty much hanging off the bike, it was hilariously dangerous..but they all did teach me to stick to nakeds! Whatever bike is comfy and serves your needs at any time is the perfect bike.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonUK on October 26, 2019, 09:05:17 PM
*Originally Posted by subs_p [+]
Iíve only been riding a few years and itís always been either a 125cc two stroke or an IL4...recently bought an XSR900 on behalf of a friend and was blown away by the three stroke engine, very nice mixture of the torque of a two cylinder and the stability of an IL4..not too bad on fuel either! Seriously considering trading my Honda in for an MT09 at some point in the future once Iíve clocked up 100k on it. I used to have a GSXR which I got rid of because sitting on it gave me terrible shoulder, back, and neck pain. Tried a Vulcan at one point, which gave me terrible lower back pain! Test rode an XR once...couldnít get my short legs on the ground at any point without pretty much hanging off the bike, it was hilariously dangerous..but they all did teach me to stick to nakeds! Whatever bike is comfy and serves your needs at any time is the perfect bike.

not to be pedantic, but huge difference between 2-stroke and 2 cylinders.  :164:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on October 28, 2019, 01:49:12 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. The camaraderie on here is what has made this forum great compared to so many others Iíve seen.

If I had a bigger budget, I would absolutely have kept the R alongside the GS because itís been such a great bike. The much-rumoured new R is going to have to work hard to better the existing package.

Although it will make no difference to performance, the TFT screen would be a good step forwards if the one on the GS is anything to go by. So clear and so much functionality in an easy-to-use system. Just another 7-ish weeks to wait until I get to play with mine!
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: CrazyBiker on December 13, 2019, 08:15:20 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
So, after just over 4 years of ownership, I've decided to move on from my much-loved 2015 S1000R.  It has, quite simply, given me the most smiles per mile of any bike I've owned so far.  It has given me much fun on the mountain roads of the Austrian Alps, the Pyrenees and the Dolomites and never missed a beat.  There were only a couple of notable issues in 15,000 miles - faulty LH switchgear and disappearing coolant - both fixed under warranty.

However, I've had a hankering to ride something different for a while for a few reasons.  Aside from the CG125 that I learned to ride on, it's been IL4s all the way. SWMBO would like to start riding pillion again. I find myself riding with a range of different people who aren't so focussed on speed and performance.  My left elbow has been giving me grief.

I tried a Super Duke GT a few weeks ago and was generally impressed with the bike.  The low end lumpiness wasn't great but the poor experience I had with two different dealers really put me off.  Then, an ex-S1000R owning friend at work mentioned that he was currently riding a GS and told me I might be surprised if I tried one. Now, the GS has never been on my radar, but I figured a boxer twin is very different from an IL4, the pillion perch would be much more comfortable for her indoors and it wouldn't feel like such a caged beast when I'm out with other riding friends... so what the hell?

So, last weekend, I took a 1250 GS out for a test ride.  I'm a bit of a shorty, but the dealer was quite happy to pop the low seat on the demo bike which let me flat-foot it. It felt massively alien at first, but I gave it a good 100 miles of Welsh A and B roads and a stint on the M5 motorway.  For sure it isn't a sports bike, but it has a huge amount of torque and can still get a wriggle on.  It's also undeniably a heavy bike, but this is much less apparent on the move.  I didn't expect 3rd gear overtakes in Dynamic mode to have the front wheel skipping off the road. And that, as they say, was that.  Part ex agreed, deposit put down and hopefully a brand new 1250 GS will be delivered on my birthday in December.

I've really enjoyed being a member of this forum, it's been great to be part of the s1000r.co.uk community. I'll most likely continue to lurk here to keep in touch with all things R-related. In the meantime, I'll be posting a few goodies for sale as I de-mod my bike ready for the trade in.  Happy riding to you all!



I was also a I4 guy until I got a V4, a triple and now a Panigale 1299S. S1000R is probably the best bang for buck moto out there but that I4 just doesn't stir your soul like a V motor does.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on December 16, 2019, 12:33:21 PM
Well, Iíll start to find out soon if a switch to the boxer twin was the right choice. The big GS has departed Berlin and Iíll be picking it up on Monday 23rd...
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Hooligan on December 16, 2019, 12:43:40 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
Well, Iíll start to find out soon if a switch to the boxer twin was the right choice. The big GS has departed Berlin and Iíll be picking it up on Monday 23rd...
Happy (early) xmas ! By all accounts, from the reviews I've read it's a great machine. Enjoy getting to know it.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonUK on December 16, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
My wife has a R1250GS(factory lowered) and they are great bikes. When I ride I just feel that it runs out of 'go' too quickly, maybe this is just a case of riding it more and getting used to a different character, but I find I run into the rev limiter all the time. My other gripe is that teh SQ is nowhere near as refined as that on my R and XR, probably the big boxer affecting that.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on December 16, 2019, 01:32:25 PM
The lack of a screaming top end is probably the biggest uncertainty for me as thatís what Iím so familiar with from all the IL4s Iíve owned. I think my dealer summed it up perfectly when she said the GS is more like a performance diesel in that itís all about the low and mid range grunt rather than high rev horsepower. On four wheels, thatís exactly what I like, so I drive a performance diesel. Iíll need to get some mileage under my belt on the GS to see how well it works for me on two wheels.

I totally agree about the QS, the demo bike was fine on downshifts but pretty clunky on upshifts. No worse than the SDGT I tried a few months ago though. In reality, I hardly ever use the QS on my R as I just enjoy manual shifting, so itís not a deal maker or breaker for me.

The first order of business is going to be spending the Christmas holiday fitting all the accessories Iíve already bought for the GS... I have a whole pile of toys and just need a bike to put them on  :008:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: zombie on December 16, 2019, 01:50:29 PM
Only thing I miss from the S1KR is the shift assist pro, I will likely go with a rapid bike w/ up down QS for my Multi.  The multi seems to be the best of both worlds to me, it has a ton of low-down power but still seems to pull quite hard higher in the revs.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Wiffa on December 16, 2019, 10:48:05 PM
 :152:

The best of both worlds.
Stay upright/Stay Safe

Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on December 23, 2019, 10:05:39 PM
The day has finally arrived for my R to head off to a new owner and for the big GS to take its place in my garage.

(https://images.s1000r.co.uk/S1000Rb6d54efac6723a12.jpg)(https://images.s1000r.co.uk/R1250GS.jpg)

It was interesting to ride my R for one last time without all the aftermarket add-ons to remind myself what it was like when I first got it. The brake and clutch actions felt quite different without the adjustable Rizoma levers. Most noticeable was how poor the stock mirrors are (so blurry) and how much worse the handlebar vibes are without the Rizoma mirrors. Definitely two mods I'd do again if another R ever beckons.

For now, it's 600 miles of neutered fun (5K rev limit, partial throttle openings) until the GS is run in and can be used in anger.

Best wishes to you all for a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Wiffa on December 23, 2019, 10:14:51 PM
Great Xmas present  :305:

The Gold rims are a perfect fit.

Enjoy
You and yours have a great Xmas & NY
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Hooligan on December 24, 2019, 01:30:29 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
The day has finally arrived for my R to head off to a new owner and for the big GS to take its place in my garage.

It was interesting to ride my R for one last time without all the aftermarket add-ons to remind myself what it was like when I first got it. The brake and clutch actions felt quite different without the adjustable Rizoma levers. Most noticeable was how poor the stock mirrors are (so blurry) and how much worse the handlebar vibes are without the Rizoma mirrors. Definitely two mods I'd do again if another R ever beckons.

For now, it's 600 miles of neutered fun (5K rev limit, partial throttle openings) until the GS is run in and can be used in anger.

Best wishes to you all for a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
The break in miles will go quickly and soon enough you'll be riding the pants off the the shaft driven boxer beast. Looks sweet all blacked out. Enjoy the holidays modding your new ride! Would be nice to see some pics when you've got her all dressed.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: windyrun on December 24, 2019, 01:31:59 PM
Congratulation on your new GS!! She looks fantastic in black with those gold wheels  :062:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: zombie on December 24, 2019, 01:35:22 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
It was interesting to ride my R for one last time without all the aftermarket add-ons to remind myself what it was like when I first got it. The brake and clutch actions felt quite different without the adjustable Rizoma levers. Most noticeable was how poor the stock mirrors are (so blurry) and how much worse the handlebar vibes are without the Rizoma mirrors. Definitely two mods I'd do again if another R ever beckons.

I had a similar experience, I didn't remember how big of a difference adding a $17 amazon windscreen made until I took it off.  Personally I never had any issues with the functionality of the OEM mirrors, just that they looked hideous.
To make the 150km highway ride to my dealer just that little bit worse, when I put the OEM levers back on I guess the little tab on the clutch lever wasn't aligned properly so my cruise control didn't work :P
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Art:543 on January 23, 2020, 03:20:57 AM
Well done Simon,
I am in a similar boat , but not ready to sell yet I think ?
All my riding mates have various machines sports tourers / adventure bikes. We trip away and the S1KR is awesome however pathetic luggage capacity
**( any suggestions l am considering a Ventura rack for some additional space to supplement a little tail bag because cheapish and easily removable)**
Or the interesting occasion of turning on to 50km rutted dirt roads (accidentally) has given me thoughts to change.
Along with the constabulary managing my licence like a play thing. It seems that some isolated back country roads in Victoria / Australia should be ridden at 80 km/h Really ?
Ironically on buying my S1000r the fellow at the dealership told me , I would return in a few years and buy a GS at the time I thought nonsense, and he was referring to me being over 50 but ???
Good luck
Well done
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on January 23, 2020, 01:53:55 PM
Art, I would absolutely recommend Ventura luggage for the R. Great capacity, very quick to install / remove and rock steady when itís on the bike (tested to 140+mph on a number of occasions). Iíve used the same bag on my last 3 bikes and it is still going strong. Good for carrying about a weekís worth of gear in my experience.

My brother-in-law is now switching to a GS from his GSX-S1000. One of my riding friends is also looking at making the switch from his 929 Fireblade. Looks like I started a trend amongst my riding group!  :008:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: windyrun on January 23, 2020, 05:09:24 PM
I have the sw moto soft side bags (bmw branded ones). They aren't that big but there are two, they are expandable, seem high quality, have good mounting brackets (beware of wear on paint though), and hold on/are stable at 100 mph on private road test.

Add a top box and tank bag and there is a fair amount of space.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Art:543 on January 24, 2020, 06:55:54 AM
Thanks lads
Sage advice indeed, I am looking at Ventura for all the pre stated pros, I think also with the rack I can attach my Ogio with straps.
Also a bunch of mates with full capacity GS's , boasting enough room for th kitchen sink they can spare an inch for my Y-fronts
Hooray
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Art:543 on February 02, 2020, 07:22:33 AM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
Art, I would absolutely recommend Ventura luggage for the R. Great capacity, very quick to install / remove and rock steady when itís on the bike (tested to 140+mph on a number of occasions). Iíve used the same bag on my last 3 bikes and it is still going strong. Good for carrying about a weekís worth of gear in my experience.

Hi Simon ,
I am sold on the Ventura rack, I was hoping to pair it with my Oggio Tail bag approx 30 x 38 cm base what model rack do you have to fit the bike. I have a 2016 model.
BTW have you got the GS yet and if so, are you very very satisfied
Cheers Art :062:

My brother-in-law is now switching to a GS from his GSX-S1000. One of my riding friends is also looking at making the switch from his 929 Fireblade. Looks like I started a trend amongst my riding group!  :008:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on February 02, 2020, 08:05:25 AM
Hi Art, I had the following rack components for my R:
L-brackets B035.1/B
Pack rack PF12/B*
Grab handle GH12/18/B (replaces the pack rack)

* The UK Ventura website now lists a different version of the Pack Rack as PF30/B, so I guess mine has become obsolete.

My bag is really old and is no longer a current model. I would say itís probably closest to the current Aero Spada VII bag.

Iíve had the GS for just over a month now and am enjoying it. Only 300 miles so far due to the wintery weather. Not too cold but a lot of rain which, in combination with all the mud and cows**t that the farmers deposit on our rural Somerset roads at this time of year, doesnít make for great riding conditions...
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonUK on February 02, 2020, 12:20:53 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
Iíve had the GS for just over a month now and am enjoying it. Only 300 miles so far due to the wintery weather. Not too cold but a lot of rain which, in combination with all the mud and cows**t that the farmers deposit on our rural Somerset roads at this time of year, doesnít make for great riding conditions...

But, it's a GS...... :164:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Art:543 on February 02, 2020, 12:28:42 PM
A GS indeed,
Thanks for the advice Simon
We are restricted in riding roads here in Victoria, for other reasons
Bushfires bloody awful
Cheers mate
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: SimonS1KR on February 02, 2020, 01:06:00 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
But, it's a GS...... :164:

I knew Iíd get some stick for that!  :008:

In truth, only 300 miles in, my off-roading foo is too weak to risk my investment when itís so slippery out there. I donít even have any cylinder protection onboard yet, though will remedy that this afternoon.

Ironically, it dried up a bit yesterday and I would have been happy to go out... but instead I spent the day buying riding gear for SWMBO so she can start coming out with me as a pillion and maybe get her own bike.

*Originally Posted by Art:543 [+]
A GS indeed,
Thanks for the advice Simon
We are restricted in riding roads here in Victoria, for other reasons
Bushfires bloody awful
Cheers mate

Art, those bushfires are an absolute tragedy. I hope all our members in Aus are safe.
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Art:543 on February 02, 2020, 01:29:05 PM
Good man
Hope the weather stays good for two touring
I am off for a short trip in 2 days forest roads to the Great Ocean road about 200 kms of bends before the mandatory beer steaks and drivel that my mates and I have become fond of...
Cheers Simon
If I can I will try to get a rack on in the next day or so  :027:
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: DutchieS1000R on February 02, 2020, 01:49:33 PM
I constructed my own Ďframeí [stainless steel] and use the back rack from Ventura. Works a charm for me, quickly on and off and when traveling not needing the back rack I remove it.

(https://images.s1000r.co.uk/DC049D68-0E1F-475F-95DF-8A78830CE0BF.jpg)
(https://images.s1000r.co.uk/4C0D9AC9-E246-4904-94F5-D3EFBB9F20B5.jpg)
Title: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Post by: Art:543 on February 02, 2020, 02:00:58 PM
Nice work Duchie