BMW S1000R

Main S1000R Boards => Mods and Appearance => Topic started by: valter on April 23, 2015, 06:03:20 AM

Title: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: valter on April 23, 2015, 06:03:20 AM
anyone installed this RAM Fork Stem Mount?

will it fit under the risers with the bar there?

(https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.rammount.com/images/gallery/RAM-B-176-A-UN7U/RAM-B-176-A-UN7.jpg)

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-176-A-UN7U (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-176-A-UN7U)
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: jucam on April 23, 2015, 06:08:15 AM
Or you can get that one
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U)
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: valter on April 23, 2015, 06:14:23 AM
I'm all for asymmetry...lol, but I would like this to be as centered as possible. I'm thinking it will fit under there, as the ball comes out flat, and at an angle.
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: Turks on April 23, 2015, 11:36:13 PM
I've seen this set-up on two different bikes on this forum (without the X-grip though). Only problem is that it may interfere with a tank bag. I have it waiting to be installed this weekend, I just need to set some time aside as the handlebars have to be removed.
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: FasteddiesS1KR on April 24, 2015, 08:29:14 PM
I would love to see a pic of one installed on bike.  I do have the bmw tankbag and could see it interfering as well
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: SimonUK on April 24, 2015, 09:22:00 PM
I am attaching pics of a GPS mounted on a RAM ball using both short and medium stems. I have the Wunderlich tank bag mounted.

These are probably not the perfect photos you want to see, but hopefully it may give you some idea.

These show the short stem
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: SimonUK on April 24, 2015, 09:22:51 PM
and the medium stem
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: SimonUK on April 24, 2015, 09:24:53 PM
the 2 'stems'
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: jdr on January 11, 2018, 08:49:24 AM
*Originally Posted by valter [+]
anyone installed this RAM Fork Stem Mount?
will it fit under the risers with the bar there?
(https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.rammount.com/images/gallery/RAM-B-176-A-UN7U/RAM-B-176-A-UN7.jpg)
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-176-A-UN7U (http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-176-A-UN7U)
I did this last night, but I do not recommend it. I had the part from a former bike, so I was motivated to make it work. But the problem here is that the handlebar is in the path for inserting this base into the stem hole.

My solution was to cut away part of the base as shown in these pictures, then smooth the cut edges with a file. The material seems to be Aluminum (magnet would not stick) so I see no need to paint that area as it will not rust and is somewhat concealed.
The end result is good with the mount base, arm/stem and holder perfectly centered.
Now I need to find a 9" (23 cm) windscreen (https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,7004.0.html) to protect the phone from bug hits.

I do not plan to use a tank bag, so the current clearance from the tank is good.

But if I was starting anew, I would just use the Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screw (https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U).
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: halfbr33d on April 29, 2019, 01:24:05 AM
*Originally Posted by jdr [+]
I did this last night, but I do not recommend it. I had the part from a former bike, so I was motivated to make it work. But the problem here is that the handlebar is in the path for inserting this base into the stem hole.

My solution was to cut away part of the base as shown in these pictures, then smooth the cut edges with a file. The material seems to be Aluminum (magnet would not stick) so I see no need to paint that area as it will not rust and is somewhat concealed.
The end result is good with the mount base, arm/stem and holder perfectly centered.
Now I need to find a 9" (23 cm) windscreen (https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,7004.0.html) to protect the phone from bug hits.

I do not plan to use a tank bag, so the current clearance from the tank is good.

But if I was starting anew, I would just use the Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screw (https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U).

Can you not unbolt the bars, move them slightly out of the way, fit this, and then reinstall the bars? the way the base sits, it looks like it would work?
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: jdr on April 29, 2019, 03:50:14 AM
*Originally Posted by halfbr33d [+]
Can you not unbolt the bars, move them slightly out of the way, fit this, and then reinstall the bars? the way the base sits, it looks like it would work?
Yes.
But using a handlebar clamp base (https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,5597.msg77556.html#msg77556) was even easier.
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: halfbr33d on April 29, 2019, 04:09:30 AM
*Originally Posted by jdr [+]
Yes.
But using a handlebar clamp base (https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,5597.msg77556.html#msg77556) was even easier.

Oh absolutely. However, what I'm getting at is, the cutting you had to do to the base, would that not be avoidable by moving the bars out of the way, doing the install, and putting the bars back? The reason I'm asking is that I've recently ordered the Ram Mount Motorcycle Fork Stem Base solely on the fact that it LOOKED like it would work. I have no real measurements and couldn't find any exact numbers for my 2018 S1KR. "Easier" isn't what I'm after. I would like it symmetrical and centered. Plus, the way this kit is installed by cutting the rubber base, I assume it's not returnable once an installation has been attempted. From your experience, knowing what I'm after, would you recommend returning it and trying the other way?
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: jdr on April 29, 2019, 04:29:12 AM
*Originally Posted by halfbr33d [+]
...the cutting you had to do to the base, would that not be avoidable by moving the bars out of the way, doing the install, and putting the bars back?
That is what I meant by "Yes" in my previous posting.
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: halfbr33d on April 29, 2019, 04:31:11 AM
*Originally Posted by jdr [+]
That is what I meant by "Yes" in my previous posting.

Sweet ..thanks, mister. Much appreciated.
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: Awjeeez on May 17, 2019, 05:17:04 AM
Greetings! My name is Zak Krenzer and I am the Powersports Account Manager at RAM Mounts. I just bought a S1000r and am new to the forum

FWIW My favorite Base for this bike is the RAM-B-367U . The Fork Stem works pretty well, but is better suited for bikes with clip-ons.

Other notable SKUs:

RAM-HOL-PD3-238AU - one handed operation and better for horizontal orientation than the X-Grip.
RAM-B-408-75-1U  - .75”-1”
RAM-B-408-112-15U - 1.125” - 1.5” -Better looking handlebar base, plastic shims that make it fit snug and won’t mar the bars.

Cheers
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: starpower on May 17, 2019, 04:15:32 PM
I have a RAM X-mount due to all the great reviews. However, I think it is one of the worse mounts I've used and it cost the most! Perhaps mine is defective - with my iPhone it wobbles or rocks back and forth in rotation maybe 15-20 degrees (X arms within the round base) and with a modest phone case it barely fits. Antone else? Funky design or mines defective?
Title: Re: RAM Fork Stem Mount
Post by: halfbr33d on May 18, 2019, 03:05:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Awjeeez [+]
Greetings! My name is Zak Krenzer and I am the Powersports Account Manager at RAM Mounts. I just bought a S1000r and am new to the forum

FWIW My favorite Base for this bike is the RAM-B-367U . The Fork Stem works pretty well, but is better suited for bikes with clip-ons.

Other notable SKUs:

RAM-HOL-PD3-238AU - one handed operation and better for horizontal orientation than the X-Grip.
RAM-B-408-75-1U  - .75”-1”
RAM-B-408-112-15U - 1.125” - 1.5” -Better looking handlebar base, plastic shims that make it fit snug and won’t mar the bars.

Cheers

Greetings Zak. I want that perfectly symmetrical positioning. dead center and just below the cluster. To my knowledge, no other mount you folks make is going to give me that. Thanks for chiming in.