Author Topic: Should be getting mine next week...  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Monsoon

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Calgary
Should be getting mine next week...
on: June 18, 2021, 08:44:39 PM
I should be getting mine next week but I went to test drive one yesterday for poops and giggles. Definitely some pluses and minuses compared to my 21 Street fighter.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: Should be getting mine next week...
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 08:58:26 PM
Care to elaborate??

Online Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2014 S1KR Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:01:24 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
Care to elaborate??

You beat me to it!

Offline Monsoon

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 12:07:57 AM
Sure. Well first thing i noticed was how light the BMW is. It goes where you point it and flicks into corners very nicely. The power delivery is totally different as you know. The demo was still limited to 9k so I couldnt tromp on it. But the BMW feels like a tamed animal and the SFV4 seems like a untamed beast. I will have to see what the BMW is like after I get the limiter removed. The BMW does have nice smooth throttle delivery though. At very low RPMs the SF can jerk a little and the BMW doesnt at all. I would have to give to quickshifter to the BMW. Close but if I had to decide I would give it to the S1. I didnt get too aggressive on the brakes but from what I did do they seemed very effective. I would say the two bikes are very close. I'll have to decide on that one later when I get to put it through the hoops. I like both displays on both bikes. The BMW seems like it would be easier to navigate but once you get to know the SF it isnt that bad. I would say to for displays it would be to each their own preference. Comfort, for sure goes to the SF. I found the seat on the S1 a bit hard and that wasnt even the M seat which will be even a bit more uncomfy. The SF seems a bit more refined. I dont know how to describe it. It just feels like a bit more solid of a bike. I wont get into the obvious things I like about the S1 like cruise control, heated grips, etc because the SF just doesnt have them. Well the heated grip control is on the SF but you have to buy the heated grips separately ($400). Seating position, for me anyway, would have to go to the SF. A bit more of a hunched over position on the S1 but thats the nice thing about cruise control. slap it on, sit more upright and stretch out a bit. Stock sound. easily goes to the SF. The BMW sounds like a Toyota Echo in comparison. I will definitely be deleting the cat and putting on the akro headers. Hopefully it fits on the akro silencer that comes with the S1. The demo I rode was pretty stock. I decked mine right out with just about every option you can get. I am really looking forward to the weight savings of the carbon wheels. I think I will be even more impressed with the light weight of the S1. I never got a chance to do a U turn with the S1 but with that increased steering deflection the put on it I think the turning radius would go to the S1. Well thats just a quick thought on it. If i remember the S1 has a big flat spot on the lower RPMs? Is that correct? And one of the tunes will unleash a difference of 40 HP on the lower band. I think I am getting my bikes correct. Maybe that was just the RR but I think it was both. That would probably give me a different opinion about it being a bit tamer than the SF especially on the lower band. I wish BMW put the shiftcam on it. I would easily have paid the extra grand or whatever for it. I know what BMW is trying to do but if you increase the performance of the bike as well as making it lighter than go for it. Be at the top of the pack of the nakeds.  I bet their sales would have increased at least 10% probably 20-30.
Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 12:11:22 AM by Monsoon

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 02:19:05 AM
Nice write up - thanks for posting.

I'm looking forward to at test ride on both bikes when I get a chance :)

Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:39:09 AM by windyrun

Online Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 07:54:09 AM
Personally I think BMW have gone down the right route with a lightweight naked producing 165 bhp, rather than just chasing big impressive numbers. They didnít want to ruin a winning formula of everyday easy going useablilty together with the potential to be a great track weapon, but still a bike you could easily commute and tour on.

I would love a SF, Iíve always been a Ducati fan and the SF is incredible, I sat on one recently and as you say the riding position is more focussed and the lack of heated grips and cruise would put me off as itís the convenience and comfort of the S1K which has attracted a lot of older ex sportsbike riders like myself. The S1KR has proved that I have my cake and eat it, you can still ride a sports bike at 56 years old and be comfortable!

My 2014 S1KR without a doubt is the best all round road bike Iíve ever owned, and the Ď21 version IMO just takes that formula and improves on it rather than reinvents it. Triumph have tried to revolutionise the Speed Triple and although it now has big willy waving numbers, theyíve ended up with a bike thatís actually not as good as the one itís replacing.
Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 07:55:24 AM by Hamburg

Offline Spartacus

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 20 S1000R SPORT
  • City / Town: North Wilts
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 09:22:04 AM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
Personally I think BMW have gone down the right route with a lightweight naked producing 165 bhp, rather than just chasing big impressive numbers. They didnít want to ruin a winning formula of everyday easy going useablilty together with the potential to be a great track weapon, but still a bike you could easily commute and tour on.

I would love a SF, Iíve always been a Ducati fan and the SF is incredible, I sat on one recently and as you say the riding position is more focussed and the lack of heated grips and cruise would put me off as itís the convenience and comfort of the S1K which has attracted a lot of older ex sportsbike riders like myself. The S1KR has proved that I have my cake and eat it, you can still ride a sports bike at 56 years old and be comfortable!

My 2014 S1KR without a doubt is the best all round road bike Iíve ever owned, and the Ď21 version IMO just takes that formula and improves on it rather than reinvents it. Triumph have tried to revolutionise the Speed Triple and although it now has big willy waving numbers, theyíve ended up with a bike thatís actually not as good as the one itís replacing.

Nicely paragraphed that posting Hamburg.   :047:

Offline Monsoon

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 10:07:12 AM
Yep. Get where you're coming from Hamburg but if you take a look at the dyno numbers of the S1kR and s1kRR, up to a point they are pretty on par then the S1RR takes off. So if they put the shiftcam in the s1kR you would still have the same engine really up to a certain point. It's up to you if you want to exercise the engine after that. So they wouldn't be ruining the bike with big numbers at all. You would still have the same light weight bike but have an option to twist the wrist a little bit more of you want that extra 40 HP. The same 21 S1K still is there.
Ducati didn't ruin the SFV4 at all by putting that Panigale engine in it. Just made it better.
Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 10:08:51 AM by Monsoon

Online Hamburg

• S1000R Pro
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 11:54:17 AM
Good point, however for me 160 is more than enough for the road.

Offline Monsoon

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 02:13:05 PM

Finally got it yesterday. Put a few hundred km on it. Loving it so far!

sociology-monitor