Author Topic: In your history of washing motorcycles............  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Re: In your history of washing motorcycles............
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 01:53:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
I use our cordless leaf blower, the neighbours think Iím mad!
+1 on the leaf blower. Definitely gets some head scratching looks from the neighbors. Works great though.

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 02:14:29 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
I think there was something sharp in the vicinity of  the rear brake fluid reservoir that used to catch me every time. Similar to Airsafari87, Iíve switched over to using woolies to get into all the nooks and crannies now and use a dryer. Itís quite surprising how much residual water the dryer gets off the bike.

Great them wheel woolies aren't they?

For the painted surfaces I still use a wool wash mitt, but for all other areas I use those Vikan brushes I posted up, wheel woolies on the wheels (believe it or not!l and EZ-Detail wheel brush for getting behind the shock, the inside faces of the swingarm and the hidden nooks behind the rad etc ... the soft flexible bristles are great for getting in to places which are otherwise inaccessible.
Plus some horsehair detail brushes for the gaps around the tank and frame, fuel cap, switchgear and so on.

I've also found that a brush Halfords sell as an interior detail brush I think it is? Is great for cleaning the chain too. It's a grey brush with really stuff black bristles.

I did used to do detailing professionally some years ago, so the amount of kit I have and still use to this day is ridiculous.

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ulverston
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 04:32:28 PM
*Originally Posted by psenior1 [+]
Everyone thinks you're nuts but bike/car dryers are def the way forward, been using a floor mounted one for a while but recently got a Bigboi buddy, wanted something compact and hand held.  More than powerful enough for a bike, might struggle on large areas of a car, but decent value at £99, only criticism is the lead could do with being a bit longer.

They only think you're nuts having a "Big boy" blow job  :046: :008:

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 04:46:44 PM
Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:24:14 PM by Dicky-Art

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 04:49:58 PM
The one I have does. They do do a cheaper model without the heater though.

Iirc the proper dryers also have filters to prevent particles getting sucked up and blown through. Effectively turning them in to shot blasters, i don't believe that leaf blowers have any filters?

Online psenior1

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Ash
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 04:53:59 PM
The Big Boi Blow Jobber  I have does heat the air, but more importantly filters it so you're not sand blasting your paint  :008: 

If your looking for something less spendy, good tip on www.detailingworld.co.uk was to use one of Screwfix's Titan vacuum cleaners, swap the hoses around and you've got a fairly powerful dryer with filtered air (leaving a filter bag in place).  I have one and it works perfectly on a bike, just a PITA to store if you're limited on space.
Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:02:55 PM by psenior1

Offline Chinook

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 18 sport
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 05:11:40 PM
Blowers also good for blowing out the water and foam from the rear of the radiator. Surprising how much water is left in there after washing.

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 05:28:50 PM
Get cut about 90% of the time and I try real hard and give my Attack rear sets a wide berth! However, I NEVER use a hose or any flow of water, I avoid ridding in the rain and after 7 years it still looks mint. I use a damp paper blue towel after a a car duster wipe down. No spider web marks and no rust to be seen anywhere. And every ride has me traveling over 2.2 mi of dirt road and yes I clean it after every ride. Anal for sure but she sure looks great!
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 06:06:15 PM
*Originally Posted by starpower [+]
Get cut about 90% of the time and I try real hard and give my Attack rear sets a wide berth! However, I NEVER use a hose or any flow of water, I avoid ridding in the rain and after 7 years it still looks mint. I use a damp paper blue towel after a a car duster wipe down. No spider web marks and no rust to be seen anywhere. And every ride has me traveling over 2.2 mi of dirt road and yes I clean it after every ride. Anal for sure but she sure looks great!

Nothing wrong with care! Why do the things we love hurt us? But suffer pain when the "pride and joy" are damaged.

Drying sorted  :002: Just need to sort out the contactless washing now......without power washing the bearings out!

Offline N.W.Den

• S1000R Member
Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 09:49:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
I use our cordless leaf blower, the neighbours think Iím mad!

Plus 1 for the leaf blower,been using it for the last 3-4 years.
Was running a bit late last last week after a ride out and didn't bother with the leaf blower, and ended up with cuts on fingers!