Author Topic: Is re-springing an S1000R is a bad idea?  (Read 686 times)

Offline bneh

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Maidenhead
Is re-springing an S1000R is a bad idea?
on: May 10, 2021, 12:49:23 PM
After doing loads of research into my options for stiffening up the bike, I'm still confused so hoping you guys might be able to give some guidance. Has the consensus changed or is a re-spring ok?

For reference, I'm 187cm (6'2"), 108kg (17st / 240lbs) and use the bike for road and 2-3 track-days per year.

I've maxed out the preload F/R and still manage to get my fork leg zip-tie about 12mm from the lower casting - on the road. This terrifies me.

I've read all of the threads I can find from Lawrance, Noggie, Purplehayz, Onesaintsfan, etc. going back to 2014.

All of these threads have someone mentioning re-springing one end and not having good results (ie - hard front/soft rear confuses the DDC), rather than addressing both ends together?

I've also seen a quote from BMW Motorrad that says:

"Heavier riders need to change springs both front and rear to achieve correct static sag. Aftermarket suppliers like Ohlins, Wilbers and KTech can provide such springs. BMW does not supply springs with different spring rates.

Changing fork oil weight will never compensate for rider weight, only spring rate can make changes related to static and dynamic sag because the damping leg is a closed system cartridge. The oil you replace is just lubricant - the damping oil is sealed.

The DDC valving should compensate well for rider weight and springs with a harder rate.“

I've also spoken to suspension experts (KRG in Consett, Steve Jordan in Woking, PDQ in Slough, JHS in Bristol and MH in Chippenham) All have suggested that I "can spend what I want but a re-spring with K-Tech/Wilbers kit will be more than adequate."

No re-valving needed (because the DDC will cope fine), just a re-spring and fork service.

To be clear, I'm not able to spend £1-1.5k on the optimal solution (a Wilbers W-ESA or Tractive shock) after only just squeaking the purchase of the bike past the wife. £6-700 ish will pass.

I don't want to waste money but is it still considered advisable to go the re-springing route, given my budget?
Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:50:50 PM by bneh

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Is re-springing an S1000R is a bad idea?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 12:58:26 PM
Give Mick Shanley at MS Race Developments (Based in Stillington, Stockton on Tees) he has just fitted K-Tech springs front and rear on my bike for the exact same reasons as you describe.

Offline bneh

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 01:34:21 PM
Good to hear, thanks AS - I trust it's been ok for you?

I'll call Mick now.  :002:
Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 01:35:05 PM by bneh

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 01:46:52 PM
*Originally Posted by bneh [+]
Good to hear, thanks AS - I trust it's been ok for you?

I'll call Mick now.  :002:

Yeah spot on.

I was very similar to you, 6'-2" and 110kg in full riding gear.
Preload to the max and 2 helmets on the dash and I was fully bottoming out the forks on road and track.

I have lost over 10kg in body weight since then though so I'm more like 97kg in full riding gear now.

With the uprated K-Tech springs in the preload has been wound down a fair amount and I am about 10mm from fully bottoming out the forks under very heavy road riding, and I imagine the same will go for the track.

Tyre wear is looking nice and even though so I'm happy that I'm in the right range, but I just want to make some final small tweaks to it to get it perfect. One thing I did forget about was that it's still in pillion setting, so I want to go back to single rider setting again and get it set up for that mode.

You will be 100% safe in Micks hands though, he's someone who's reputation proceeds him and his credentials can't really be called in to question.

Offline bneh

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 02:03:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Airsafari87 [+]
You will be 100% safe in Micks hands though, he's someone who's reputation proceeds him and his credentials can't really be called in to question.

Brilliant! I can't thank you enough for bringing Mick to my attention.

Just spoken to him and he's a thoroughly nice chap - dramatically different from some of the other outfits I've spoken to recently - really down-to-earth.

Booked in for early next month  :028:

Now I just need to find the time to get it all off the bike!  :114:

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 02:13:40 PM
Brilliant! I can't thank you enough for bringing Mick to my attention.

Just spoken to him and he's a thoroughly nice chap - dramatically different from some of the other outfits I've spoken to recently - really down-to-earth.

Booked in for early next month  :028:

Now I just need to find the time to get it all off the bike!  :114:

Spot on, I knew you'd get sorted with him.

He really is a genuinely nice guy isnt him? He went out of his way to help me out and spent a while at my home just having a bit craic.

Incase you're interested, there is a cracking interview with him on the Chasin the Racin podcast. You will be able to find it on Spotify. Episode #60

Offline bneh

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 02:26:47 PM
I'll check it out!  :002: :028:

Edit: It's on Youtube
Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:27:27 PM by bneh

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 02:31:06 PM
I'll check it out!  :002: :028:

Edit: It's on Youtube

Ahhh yeah I keep forgetting about them being on YouTube aswell. I always listen to them on Patreon.

Offline bneh

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 03:08:20 PM
To add for future reference:

I was also very impressed with how attentive Kyle @ KRG has been (krg-motorcycles.co.uk).

Incredibly knowledgeable, gives the impression that he would be very conscientious with his work and keenly priced, when compared with his peers.

sociology-monitor