Author Topic: Best saddle option...  (Read 387 times)

Offline Grasshopper

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: BSE
Best saddle option...
on: April 19, 2021, 10:04:37 AM
Looking at a more comfortable seat for my ‘19 S1R.
What’s your recommendations for best one?...
Corbin, Sargent, BMW, or a custom option?

Corbin is prohibitively expensive! Sargent looks good... 🤷🏼‍♂️😂

Offline SteveS1000R

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2018 S1KR Sport
  • City / Town: Newbury
Re: Best saddle option...
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:24:25 AM
I have the BMW comfort seat, really good and so much better than the OEM one, not tried the others though. It also raises the seat height about 1” as well.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:04:45 PM
Use the search feature and see what's being said as there are many comments on the topic of best seat. My recollection is many people are very happy with the comfort of the sergeant if that is what you want.

I'm pretty happy with the Sport since its taller but only marginally better than stock for comfort. I can ride for 2+ hours on my sport but I wouldn't want to go more than that without a break.

I bought and own a new Sergeant but never installed it as its not as high as the sport (stock either?). Planning to install it when I go on a long trip. It looks nice though :)

Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:06:55 PM by windyrun

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 12:21:01 PM
My bike had a dealer fitted BMW comfort seat fitted but I had them remove it before delivery.
The seat seemed a lot flatter and didn't give that slight leant forward position that I prefer from the standard seat.

If you're the type of rider that just sits static in the seat and rarely moves around on the bike, and like a more sit up and beg position then it would be great for that I imagine.

If, like me you prefer that pushed forward position when getting a lick on, you might be better off with the standard seat?

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 12:29:02 PM
That's odd as my comfort still has the lean forward bias which is why I wouldn't want it for longer rides. Not sure what happened with yours.

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 12:38:12 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
That's odd as my comfort still has the lean forward bias which is why I wouldn't want it for longer rides. Not sure what happened with yours.

No idea? I just know that I hopped straight off the bike I was trading in (a 2017 model) on to this new one which had the comfort seat fitted at the time and it felt awful with a totally different seating position to the one I had just got off.
As soon as they swapped it for a new standard seat I felt right at home again and I can spend 8 hour days riding it without any discomfort at all.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A baby blue one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 03:16:59 PM
Well, that's the thing- bums are different and prefer different seats. What works for one rider may be a torture rack for the next.

I've had the stock seat, the comfort seat and now the Sargent on mine, and I've done long (1000+ mile) days on all three.

But then, I've done plenty of 100 miles and 24 hour mountain bike races on skinny little racing bike saddles, too, so I may not be the best judge of comfort!
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:09:09 PM
 :0461:

Online Hamburg

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2014 S1KR Sport
  • City / Town: Oxford
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 05:39:46 PM
I swapped saddles on my Fireblade for a Corbin and it was horrible, it completely ruined the riding position.

I only took delivery of my S1K this weekend but have done 100 miles over two days on the stock saddle with bar risers and I would say that for me the riding position is close to spot on, but the saddle could be a bit more comfortable. However as the riding position is so good, I’ll just keep it.

Offline Grasshopper

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: BSE
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 05:47:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamburg [+]
I swapped saddles on my Fireblade for a Corbin and it was horrible, it completely ruined the riding position.

I only took delivery of my S1K this weekend but have done 100 miles over two days on the stock saddle with bar risers and I would say that for me the riding position is close to spot on, but the saddle could be a bit more comfortable. However as the riding position is so good, I’ll just keep it.

I’ve done a few 2 hour rides, but wouldn’t fancy going much further.

sociology-monitor