Author Topic: low speed drop protection  (Read 493 times)

Offline tatanwe

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Zero.Honda.BMW
low speed drop protection
on: February 25, 2021, 10:57:46 PM
This is the first bike I've had that I'm hesitant to risk dropping. I don't push things at high speed but low speed I like to push things and sometimes drop my bikes. After looking into the crash protection it looks like everything basically sucks except a crash cage. I was thinking about getting the cage by crazy iron which you can find by googling that + s1000r. That way I can lean like a maniac in parking lots and u-turns without needing repairs or downtime when I drop it. Obviously this doesn't cover highsides looping or crashing at high speed, but I try to avoid all those. I already have other bikes, and I want to ride this one as I wish, so "just get another bike" isn't a good solution.

The cage does mount to the same bolt at the top of the engine that frame sliders usually mount to. Are there known to be issues with this mount or does it hold up pretty well?

Is there a better solution than a cage? Does anyone have experience with crashing a s1k with cage?
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 10:58:50 PM by tatanwe

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: low speed drop protection
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:01:09 PM
What did you use to protect your other bikes? 

Offline tatanwe

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Zero.Honda.BMW
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 02:51:55 AM
nothing except heavy brush guards on the bars of my supermoto

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 05:15:44 PM
I'm happy with my T-Rex frame sliders, heavy bar ends and front axle sliders. Some remove pillion pegs but they provide good fall over protection.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 05:51:12 PM
I have R&G frame sliders on my 14 as well as GB Racing engine covers (passenger footpegs removed), I had a low speed drop a few months ago on some gravel at a T, probably no more than 5mph. only things that impacted where the right R&G oval puck and the timer case cover, so no damage to the bike itself.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:15:04 PM
I like the GSG frame sliders. Not tested but look very sturdy and employ two attachment points so in theory less risk of bending the mounting point. Also they have wedge shape. And of course look good :)

Link to place in US to purchase (they are made and sold out of Germany):

http://www.whaccessories.com/BMW-S1000R-Sliders-17.htm

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 09:46:10 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
I like the GSG frame sliders. Not tested but look very sturdy and employ two attachment points so in theory less risk of bending the mounting point. Also they have wedge shape. And of course look good :)

Link to place in US to purchase (they are made and sold out of Germany):

http://www.whaccessories.com/BMW-S1000R-Sliders-17.htm

The R&G sliders also have a sturdy plat that attaches to the frame with 2 M10 engine bolts on each side(if I remember correctly) and then the Aero 'puck' bolts to the plate, so there is not a 'direct' link between slider and frame

sociology-monitor