Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 542 times)

Offline bneh

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Maidenhead
Hello!
on: February 23, 2021, 01:34:45 PM
Hi All,

I'm SE UK based and have just sold my K4 GSX-R750 and put a deposit on a very nice 2014 S1000R Sport in (satin?) Blue. Looking forward to picking it up in the coming weeks (lockdown permitting!).

Thanks for having me along and see you 'round.

Cheers B
Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:34:56 PM by bneh

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
Re: Hello!
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 02:36:21 PM
 :400:
Excellent choice! That blue is an awesome color. Enjoy!
You should remember that itís peace of mind youíre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 05:51:32 PM
 :401:

Offline bneh

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 06:39:03 PM
Thanks lads! Any idea where to start with preventative maintenance, checks for problems or must-do mods? (aside from riding it  :002:)

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:50 PM
The one must do mod, that it may already have, is radiator guards. I like Evotech.  The radiator on these bikes is a whopper.
Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:50:11 PM by windyrun

Offline bneh

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:57:22 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
The one must do mod, that it may already have, is radiator guards. I like Evotech.  The radiator on these bikes is a whopper.

Fortunately, I think it has them!  :002:

Offline DaveM13

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000R 2019
  • City / Town: Blyth
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 04:41:45 PM
 :401:

Yes second the guards, i got both from Evotech for my 19 plater, like you cannot wait for the lockdown to end so I can get out on it

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 05:16:28 PM
*Originally Posted by bneh [+]
Thanks lads! Any idea where to start with preventative maintenance, checks for problems or must-do mods? (aside from riding it  :002:)

To be honest, the list of 'Must Do's' on these bikes is fairly short.

Tail tidy is a must for me. The evotech ones are superb quality and a doddle to fit.
Rad and oil cooler guards are good idea. Again, its really difficult to look past Evotech.

The standard Akra end can is hideous and is another of my must do mods. There's loads of options out there but the Akra GP can suits the bike well and gives it a lovely tone and just a nice volume increase. Its far from obnoxious.

The rest is all things which are 'nice' to have, bit not really essential.

Things to check.

Check for evidence of the water pump failing. Its a known weak point on these bikes. Ive never had any issues with the 2 bikes I've had, but I know others on here who have had multiple pumps replaced.
Likewise, check the coolant level just incase it is leaking or had leaked in the past and the level hasn't been topped up.

Chain tension is a biggie on these as it affects the quickshifter. If you are having baulked shifts or jerky shifts then it's likely due to the chain being a bit slack.

I know a lot of people complain about the steering damper, but as long as you have the suspension set correctly it is absolutely fine.

Take a look at the front and rear brake pads as well. Depending on how it's been ridden these can be worn through fairly quickly, my OEM pads were changed at 5k and only had a little bit of meat left on them, maybe 500 / 700 miles at the absolute most?

One thing to note about the suspension too. Common sense would dictate that Rain mode would = Softest setting and Dynamic Pro the hardest right?
Its a weird quirk of these bikes, but each bike will have its own mode that it prefers to be set up in, having someone take a look at it and set it up who understands the DDC suspension on these bikes is very worth while. For reference on the 2 bikes I have had each one has been happiest in different modes.

Bike 1 =
Dynamic Pro engine mode.
Road suspension mode.
2 helmets on the dash for pillion preload.

Bike 2 =
Dynamic engine mode.
Road Suspension mode.
2 helmets on the dash.

I know of other riders on here who have ended up with different modes to that too.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 05:21:24 PM
I have heard that starting with the 2017 bikes the Dynamic Pro mode is more oriented to allowing user to adjust each factor to their liking. I think it is called User Mode on the screen. Could be one reason why your second bike was different (assuming it was '>=17 and the 1st was <=16)
Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:21:59 PM by windyrun

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 06:09:29 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
I have heard that starting with the 2017 bikes the Dynamic Pro mode is more oriented to allowing user to adjust each factor to their liking. I think it is called User Mode on the screen. Could be one reason why your second bike was different (assuming it was '>=17 and the 1st was <=16)

Nope.
17 and 19 bikes.

The modes don't allow for any user set up.
Just a choice of 4 riding modes and 2 suspension modes or 4 suspension modes of you include the pillion settings too.

sociology-monitor