Author Topic: Ever had an issue with hitch carriers?  (Read 518 times)

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Dynamic Pro
  • City / Town: Sun Diego
Ever had an issue with hitch carriers?
on: January 16, 2021, 04:55:22 PM
Have you ever used a hitch carrier and had a problem?

Iím about ready for my first track day, I just have to figure out how to get the bike there. I donít have room for a trailer (even a fold up) and I canít remove my camper shell. I have this hitch carrier that is very heavy duty. I would put my s1r on the ramp closest to the truck, and use a bunch of tie downs. I used to put two dirtbikes and a quad upright on this carrier at the same time, behind an old RV.

Need to find an extremely proper way of tying the bike to the hitch, so I can camp out of my shell at the track

Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:01:42 PM by Cutter

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: Ever had an issue with hitch carriers?
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 06:31:37 PM
Not sure I understand your room for a trailer constraint, but I've rented UHaul trailers for like $25 a day that are specifically designed for 1 or 2 bikes. Work great and take no room at home since they are rented by the day.
Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:32:01 PM by windyrun

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:58 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
Not sure I understand your room for a trailer constraint, but I've rented UHaul trailers for like $25 a day that are specifically designed for 1 or 2 bikes. Work great and take no room at home since they are rented by the day.

$75 a day in my area, Southern California. Did that once, never again. I called my local dealer and they said they see guys that haul with these types of carriers all the time

Offline kerlow66

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: LOS ANGELES

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 10:49:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Cutter [+]
$75 a day in my area, Southern California. Did that once, never again. I called my local dealer and they said they see guys that haul with these types of carriers all the time

What is the issue? The motorcycle trailers have a front wheel chock

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 10:53:42 PM

How do you feel about compressing your forks when you tie down your bike, not an issue? Are there strap options that don't require me to cinch on the handle bars (and possibly bend them)?

*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
What is the issue? The motorcycle trailers have a front wheel chock

I meant to say I called my local eurobike dealer and they said the hitch carriers are g2g. $75 a day for a motorcycle trailer is a California only thing, highest prices in the nation.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 10:59:24 PM
My dealer said they secure the bike from the rear of the frame spar to the front mounts on the trailer to transport all their bikes (even cross country). They showed me how and it worked fine. On the way their I tied the bike at 2 front locations and rear locations following a youtube recommendation where you don't compress the forks too much. Forget which video.

Here is a thread on another forum where people talk about experience with haul type trailers.  I'm no expert but it worked for me.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?24183-U-Haul-Motorcycle-trailer!-Anyone-used-it-before/page2

I am definitely open to hearing of other better ways :)

Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:11:27 PM by windyrun

sociology-monitor