Author Topic: Extended Warranty in US - Extended ride vs Mechanic's Choice?  (Read 626 times)

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Looking at getting an extended warranty here in the US. It seems BMW does not offer an extended warranty in the US even if its purchased before end of original 3 year warranty; is this correct?

My local dealer offers two 3rd party warranties: 1) Extended Ride and 2) Mechanics Choice. They are sending me info on what is covered.

My question is has anyone used one of these and their opinion on them. Also, does anyone have a good/strong experience with another extended warranty plan?

Thx.

Online Hypo

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: unison
Re: Extended Warranty in US - Extended ride vs Mechanic's Choice?
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 08:45:15 PM
I got a maintenance agreement on my '19 GS that covered the first 6 scheduled maintenance appointments for scheduled work.  I used 2? before I traded in the bike for my S1000r and they milked that down so much that I walked away very unhappy with how little was left over....  this was the third bike I have bought brand new and the first one I got any extended warranty on.

the bikes come with a warranty for factory issues, but I have found over the last 30 years or so that you just need to find a good mechanic with decent rates that you TRUST implicitly with your bike and your sanity.

I say skip it.  2 cents.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:26:34 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. I agree...where I live the only group of qualified mechanics/technicians for these bikes that I know of is at Morton's BMW and they seem like a quality business all around.

I guess my biggest worry going forward is the cost of parts which is why I am considering an extended warranty.
Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 09:28:27 PM by windyrun

Online Hypo

• S1000R Member
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:07:41 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. I agree...where I live the only group of qualified mechanics/technicians for these bikes that I know of is at Morton's BMW and they seem like a quality business all around.

I guess my biggest worry going forward is the cost of parts which is why I am considering an extended warranty.

Are you here in DC/VA/MD?  I'm up near Dulles and moving west past Leesburg here shortly....
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 02:28:22 AM
Yes in DMV area
Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 02:52:15 AM by windyrun

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 07:16:58 AM
Either of you ever make it to the bikes and breakfast in Virginia or Maryland?
Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:19:03 AM by Zig Zag
You should remember that it’s peace of mind you’re after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 01:50:19 PM
I ride out through great falls most weekends when its not cold and have seen cool cars coming and going (there is a cars and coffee there) but never stopped. Not gone to any Bikes and breakfasts.

Online Hypo

• S1000R Member
Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 03:37:52 PM
I've done Bikes n Breakfast twice, it's close to our route to make the Griffin Run i think.  LOTS of great bikes down there!

sociology-monitor