Author Topic: its all been done before... a mellow chat  (Read 773 times)

Offline Hypo

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: unison
its all been done before... a mellow chat
on: November 10, 2020, 01:16:23 AM
 :821:

over a couple of beers, sitting at around a firepit, cheeks pink and flushed with laughter and spirits, my wife and a few close friends were talking about the mods we undertake on all our bikes.  We talked about that first look at our new bike in the show room when we make that decision for the look.  We also talked about that first mod based on the first test ride.  Tail tidy's were never the first thing to happen until they started doing that footlong extension for the license plate on sport bikes.  Turn signals were always a favorite as well as the levers, either going shorties or changing colors....

but going WAAAAAAAY back (talking late 80s and 90s) it was usually performance mods, nobody made sexy turn signals or mirrors.  you were changing tooth counts on sprockets, pipe changes, and the occasional handlebar changes...  my first motorcycle was a honda nighthawk 650 with a flat seat, shaft drive, and awful mirrors, turn signals and decent enough ergonomics to get me from NC to MA for a long weekend.  the good thing was everyone had those awful turn signals, levers and handlebars for when we dropped the bike in gravel or the parking lot.  :)

my S1kr got a sargent seat, TST brakelight and tail tidy first.  the mirrors are solid, but ugly and show lots of elbow.  tight front signals are next and then I'm gonna ride the hell out of it... play with lights (go with maybe a weird color parking light, angel eye or something) and dabble with the idea of the split saddlemen seat just to see what it's like.  Then once summer rolls around again and we go on a few adventures, maybe a custom cargo plate for the rear seat since my wife rides her own and nobody will ever ride back there.  :)
A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: its all been done before... a mellow chat
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 10:41:52 PM
I have the CRG bar end mirrors and Rhinomoto bar end weights on mine. Great rear visibility and look pretty good too.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 07:04:29 PM
There’s something about the R that seems to encourage people to buy accessories for it. My previous bikes usually picked up an aftermarket double-bubble type screen for a bit more practicality. I put a race silencer on one bike, but only because I dropped it and ruined the original end can. My R... I fitted the best part of £2K of accessories to that bike to make it my own.

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 07:21:25 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
There’s something about the R that seems to encourage people to buy accessories for it. My previous bikes usually picked up an aftermarket double-bubble type screen for a bit more practicality.

I can relate to that!

This bike has ended up with.
HP levers.
HP brake lever protector.
HP rearsets
HP pillion pegs.

Carbon tank cover.
Carbon front mud guard.
Carbon rear hugger.
Carbon fly screen.
Carbon chain guard.
Carbon front sprocket cover.

Evotech tail tidy.
Evotech radiator guard.
Evotech oil cooler guard.
Evotech rear spools.

Full set of GB Racing engine covers.

It did have an Akra GP can fitted too but that has recently been ditched in the pursuit of more power, and improved fueling & throttle response. So £2000+ has been dropped on a full Arrow Competition exhaust along with a fully bespoke ECU remap with the added hilarity of audible traction control being added.

I thought i was done with the mods now but winter plans are afoot as we speak  :164:

Offline Hypo

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000r
  • City / Town: unison
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:17:28 PM
went with the motogadget blaze pin on the front, looks really nice and super bright... now this rain needs to stop and work needs to stop calling so I can put some miles on the bike!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount up to and including their life.

Offline Silverside

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Larkhall
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 01:34:13 PM
I've never changed a thing on any of my previous bike's until I got my beemer 😄 so far its had new bar end mirrors , levers , brake reservoir,  screen rad cover 😀 next would be a nice slip on that's not too loud and doesn't cost a fortune and maybe a full wrap 😀 the levers on this bike were absolutely terrible looking as well as the brake reservoir,  everything else is just personal preference imo .

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ulverston
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 07:24:29 PM
I changed stuff on all my previous bikes, from my first TL125 home made exhaust with beetle tailpipe cut down, made the seat and covered it in red vinyl  :745:
My GT500 I cut the rear mudguard down (that's a fender y'know!). To Vinyl wrapping, Full resprays, making my own decat pipe for my brand new Yoshi GSXR750.
Don't think I could live without changing things. All my cars get similar treatment! New alloys/exhaust... :001: