Author Topic: Possible noob, probably the usual questions.  (Read 556 times)

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Paisley
Possible noob, probably the usual questions.
on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:37 PM
Hi to all, noob considering an S1000R Sport as my next bike.

Currently on a Z1000SX which I love, fancy a change, never had a BMW and local dealer is doing a very good promo at the moment and has piqued my interest.
Had initial look and chat, have done my homework on the financials, plan is a test ride when work permits.

Been riding 40 years, mainly sports or sports tourers. Doubly derided by the biking Gods, not only a short arse but also a 27 inch inside leg. B'stards. :003:
My Zed has the seat sculpted but I'm fairly comfortable on the S1000r due to the 814mm seat height and the fact that seat is narrow.

Not dumb enough to ask owners if it's a good bike :008: but would appreciate general thoughts on it.
I'm not a knee down hooligan, but happy to make good progress as they say.
One thing I did notice is the span of the clutch lever, I would need to change that asap and would appreciate any suggestions for adjustable levers.

Clutch is not as light as the Zed, but I'm being told the quickshifter is so good it is rarely used, is it as good as the dealer says?

Anything to look out for even though the bike will be new?

Appreciate any answers and thanks for reading.

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Possible noob, probably the usual questions.
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:58:17 PM
I'm on to my 2nd S1000R now and have covered roughly 20k miles across both bikes.

Only issue I have ever had was a faulty L/H control unit which affected the cruise control. This was replaced under warranty though, and without quibble.

Other than that I have had zero mechanical or electrical issues with either bike.

There have been cases with faulty water pumps, but again I believe they are easily replaced under warranty as well

As for levers. I had the Evotech levers on my last bike and I rate them very highly, plenty of adjustment, a nice feel in use and nice and subtle looking.

My new bike came with BMW HP levers fitted, and again they are excellent with loads of adjustment, they are a bit more pricey though

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 08:35:22 PM
Many thanks for the reply.

Think the HP levers are around 300. Gilles are 170 the pair and look quality.

Would be great to know if anyone had owned a Z1000SX before and can compare.

Offline NivMiz

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:27:51 AM
*Originally Posted by Scubaregs [+]
Clutch is not as light as the Zed, but I'm being told the quickshifter is so good it is rarely used, is it as good as the dealer says?

Yes, I reckon when you've experienced the quickshifter - you can't go back to a bike without one. The feeling is exhilarating.
Bike is pretty comfy and has decent pull even in high gears.

Let me know if you have any general questions - I'm a pretty recent owner (got mine last year). I was deciding between the s1000r or mt-10 and s1000r won by a long shot.
Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:37:35 AM by NivMiz

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:43:42 AM
*Originally Posted by NivMiz [+]
Let me know if you have any general questions - I'm a pretty recent owner (got mine last year). I was deciding between the s1000r or mt-10 and s1000r won by a long shot.

Many thanks. I'd actually looked at the R1250RS a while back as a more like for like replacement for the zed, but found it heavy, long and ungainly for me, albeit it was on the standard seat and not the lower one.

i've never really had a "naked" bike before and that's why I hadn't looked at the S1000R, but it is as good a fit as I will get out of the box so to speak. How is it at speed for windblast, is the screen any good? I typically do 200 mile days when out for fun. I don't tour, but will do the odd overnight trip.

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 11:23:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Scubaregs [+]
Many thanks. I'd actually looked at the R1250RS a while back as a more like for like replacement for the zed, but found it heavy, long and ungainly for me, albeit it was on the standard seat and not the lower one.

i've never really had a "naked" bike before and that's why I hadn't looked at the S1000R, but it is as good a fit as I will get out of the box so to speak. How is it at speed for windblast, is the screen any good? I typically do 200 mile days when out for fun. I don't tour, but will do the odd overnight trip.

I'm 6'-2" and can happily do 300+ miles per day on the bike.

The wind is directed across my upper torso and across the shoulders which is perfect, I get no turbulence across my helmet either. I was loaned a bike which had a larger screen once and it was bloody awful, not only do they look terrible, but it directed the wind straight at my head and I was buffeted about all over the place.

Cruising wise. I can sit at 90 / 100mph all day long, and can tolerate 120 / 130mph for about 20 minutes at a time before having to knock it back for a while.

I have HP rear sets fitted, but even with them set fairly high I don't get any knee pain, so the standard rear sets would be even comfier on longer rides.

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 12:47:59 PM
Thanks. I suspect at 5'5 I may get some turbulence on the lid, test ride will tell.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 02:48:56 PM
One thing to be aware of if considering changing levers is the "tangs?" on the bars for the quick shifter. Some replacement levers cause problems and one needs to be careful when installing to be sure not to bend the tangs. They also control cruise control.

If a touring screen is desired you can look into the Wunderlich Marathon screen. It is proper big and has many positive reviews for function if not looks.

Lighting is not the best for riding at night. If this is something you do you may start looking for upgraded lighting or additional lighting options.

I recommend getting an evotech radiator guard installed as soon as you get the bike. The radiator works great for cooling the engine but probably due to is massive size.
Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:49:26 PM by windyrun

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 03:11:10 PM
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
One thing to be aware of if considering changing levers is the "tangs?" on the bars for the quick shifter. Some replacement levers cause problems and one needs to be careful when installing to be sure not to bend the tangs. They also control cruise control.

Cheers, I will talk to dealer about that.

If a touring screen is desired you can look into the Wunderlich Marathon screen. It is proper big and has many positive reviews for function if not looks.

Will see how test ride goes.

Lighting is not the best for riding at night. If this is something you do you may start looking for upgraded lighting or additional lighting options.

Rare for me to ride at night, but appreciate the heads up.

I recommend getting an evotech radiator guard installed as soon as you get the bike. The radiator works great for cooling the engine but probably due to is massive size.

Noted, thanks.

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 04:56:45 PM
Cheers Windy. Like any new bike, start off easy and learn it's character. If I do go for it, and it is very tempting, there won't be many days riding between now and spring so plan would be to get it run in and get used to it.

sociology-monitor