Author Topic: 6th gear is stuck  (Read 1495 times)

Offline FriendlyR

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R
Re: 6th gear is stuck
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 12:07:12 PM
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Well the drum is pretty tough so more likely the fork. You will be on the road soon I hope. But then again it is winter and lock downs. What a b...ch. Sorry for your down time. Life is short.

Sorry for the delay!
My bike is almost ready. The problem was transmission dogs and a fork that worn down, Also, some piece that got bent. He told me that he need to replace most of the transmission and it will cost a lot.

However, He managed to find an S1000R with less then 10,000KM for the parts that I needed, And still the cost is expected to be high.
https://ibb.co/hsjVnr5

Offline rogracer

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Orlando, Florida
Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 01:35:00 PM
With all that, I am having a hard time understanding why you can shift with the quickshifter.  :084:

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 02:23:05 PM
I'm not a mechanic, but it does seem like if it shifts fine with the quick shifter then the issue would be limited to the clutch lever or cable mechanism somehow. But hey -- I don't really know precisely how the quick shifter works / over-rides the manual clutch operation.

Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:23:31 PM by windyrun

Offline rogracer

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Orlando, Florida
Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 09:58:31 PM
So when you pull in the clutch lever, you are essentially taking any engine torque off the transmission...it becomes unloaded which then allows you to shift gears.  But there is another way to unload the transmission without using the clutch.  You simply adjust the engine throttle so the bike is neither accelerating nor decelerating which means, effectively, that the transmission is not transferring engine torque.  This allows you to shift gears without the clutch.  That is all a quickshifter does...it just momentarily adjusts the throttle so there is no load on the transmission and...bingo...you can shift gears.  With practice you can learn this technique and shift bikes without using the clutch and that have no quickshifter.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 10:15:16 PM
Interesting and makes sense.Thanks for posting.

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ulverston
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 06:17:34 PM
*Originally Posted by rogracer [+]
So when you pull in the clutch lever, you are essentially taking any engine torque off the transmission...it becomes unloaded which then allows you to shift gears.  But there is another way to unload the transmission without using the clutch.  You simply adjust the engine throttle so the bike is neither accelerating nor decelerating which means, effectively, that the transmission is not transferring engine torque.  This allows you to shift gears without the clutch.  That is all a quickshifter does...it just momentarily adjusts the throttle so there is no load on the transmission and...bingo...you can shift gears.  With practice you can learn this technique and shift bikes without using the clutch and that have no quickshifter.

Wouldn't fancy that, downshifting from 6th tho eh?!

The mechanical failure will be there with clutch shift or Quickshift, if it were the gearbox parts. The only thing I could think is the blipper disengages the load and matches revs so the worn/bent dogs don't quite need to push as hard??!! Might just have worn to the limit now.