Author Topic: Berik leather jackets  (Read 1467 times)

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R sold
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: Berik leather jackets
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 02:55:03 PM
*Originally Posted by j_newman1990 [+]
I really love the return and replacement policy of the Viking Jackets.
https://www.vikingcycle.com/collections/mens-motorcycle-jackets

No offense, but I'll stick with a motorcycle jacket that is for more than keeping the flies off of me.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 03:59:33 PM
 :0461:

I hate to say it, but those Viking jackets are closer to fashion wear than they are to motorcycle protective wear. Do yourself a favour and buy better gear that has some genuine safety credentials.

Offline j_newman1990

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: brea, california
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 02:32:47 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
:0461:

I hate to say it, but those Viking jackets are closer to fashion wear than they are to motorcycle protective wear. Do yourself a favour and buy better gear that has some genuine safety credentials.

Ohh I see, which one did you buy?
What brand will you suggest in this respect?

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R sold
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 03:53:26 PM

AGV Sport
Alpinestars
Dainese
Fieldsheer
Helite
Icon (kind of a trope among riders for making "look at me" gear, similar to S&S below, but I've got one of their jackets and it's not bad, armor in shoulders, elbows and back)
Joe Rocket
Klim
Olympia
Oxford (mostly fashion oriented, but usually has minimal armor)
Revit
Scorpion
Speed and Strength (more about bling that protection, but still better than those Viking jackets)
Tourmaster

etc,etc,etc

You could buy a heavy leather jacket at your salvation army that would provide more protection that the stuff on Viking's page.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 04:03:39 PM

It might not be helpful for me to talk about buying a particular brand as I donít know what you can get on your side of the pond or what the relevant US safety standards are. However, if youíre interested in buying European gear (or gear that has been certified for use in Europe) then there are a couple of safety standards that you should look out for.

First, EN 17092 is the new standard for motorcycle protective wear. It comes with a three level rating system - A, AA and AAA from the lowest to the highest level of protection. As a guide, I believe the UK police require a garment to achieve at least level AA for their riders to use it professionally. Note that Iím not a police rider, so Iím happy to be put right on that if anyone knows better. In any case, I personally would only consider wearing level AA or AAA garments.

Second, EN 1621 is the standard for armour that is fitted to motorcycle garments. It has two levels, 1 and 2 (where 2 is the more protective). I personally use only level 2 armour for my shoulders, elbows, back, hips and knees.

Iím by no means an expert on the subject of safety wear, so am happy to use the pretty simple rating system offered by the EN standards to help me choose what gear to buy.
Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:05:58 PM by SimonS1KR

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 10:11:45 PM
I've gone for the Rukka gear as well. Their gloves and waterproof riding jackets fit me well and seem of high quality. I'm also fond of Daytona boots for classic looks and good protection as well as TCX boots

I also recommend Forcefield Sport Tubes for knee armor. The armor you insert (from existing riding pants) stays in place much better and the tubes are not too annoying to wear. Don't notice while riding at all.

I also have a pair of Bowtex kevlar leggings. They come with armor inserts and you wear them under any of your other "street" pants. They provide the slide and impact and heat protection like other kevlar riding gear. Haven't used them but will soon.
Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:18:05 PM by windyrun

Offline j_newman1990

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: brea, california
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:24 PM
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
AGV Sport
Alpinestars
Dainese
Fieldsheer
Helite
Icon (kind of a trope among riders for making "look at me" gear, similar to S&S below, but I've got one of their jackets and it's not bad, armor in shoulders, elbows and back)
Joe Rocket
Klim
Olympia
Oxford (mostly fashion oriented, but usually has minimal armor)
Revit
Scorpion
Speed and Strength (more about bling that protection, but still better than those Viking jackets)
Tourmaster

etc,etc,etc

You could buy a heavy leather jacket at your salvation army that would provide more protection that the stuff on Viking's page.

I always owe you. I have explored and found Olympia and Oxford more lucrative than rest of them.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • S1000R Pro
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 09:40:16 AM
I really love the return and replacement policy of the Viking Jackets.
https://www.vikingcycle.com/collections/mens-motorcycle-jackets

Hmmm...... looks like spam to me  :084:

...especially as you've posted the same thing on other forums.

Have we actually seen your S1R yet ?

sociology-monitor