Author Topic: Wanting to soften up DDC suspension & sag settings  (Read 2370 times)

Offline shoens1000r

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 s1000r
  • City / Town: Henrietta
Re: Wanting to soften up DDC suspension & sag settings
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 03:24:35 PM
It amazed me how little two BMW dealers I spoke with did not know or were unwilling to tell me in regards to DDC.
Its a bit scary really. It sounds like they follow the cook book and if anything does not go according to plan they call next level tech support.

So.... wanted to let people know that resetting the rear travel sensor made a big difference on my bike.
GS-911 site for the semi-active suspension controller shows more than one special service program for s1000r's suspension.
But the only one I could find on the PC/USB gen 2 version GS-911 I bought was for "Calibrate travel sensor".

It did the trick. Big immediate difference.

As a recap - ---

The bike was new and came with both front and rear preload adjusters backed all the way off to full soft and the suspension was very harsh.
I set the sag and it was still brutal over anything other than smooth pavement.
Purchased GS-911 and reset the "Calibrate travel sensor" which made a big improvement.

I had attended an Aprilia sponsored track day where you rode their bikes for the day.
I fell in love with the Tuono factory with active suspension.
The Tuono does not fit me on the street with my less than 29" inseam.
So I found and purchased the BMW equivalent of the Aprilia.
While I have not used the s1000r on the track yet,  I believe the Aprilia active suspension worked better and the bike was not as twitchy as my Beemer. Maybe upgrading the steering dampener would help.

I reran same favorite routes with my well setup track bike and my s1000r.
I think I still feel that I may have ultimately been better off with conventional/not semi-automatic suspension - time will tell.
But I can say I am much happier and enjoying the bike and no longer plan to sell the bike as soon as possible.
Although my first oil change and all the metal crap on the magnetic oil drain plug did/does give me pause....

Regards.

Offline psenior1

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Ash
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 06:16:24 PM
*Originally Posted by shoens1000r [+]
It amazed me how little two BMW dealers I spoke with did not know or were unwilling to tell me in regards to DDC.
Its a bit scary really. It sounds like they follow the cook book and if anything does not go according to plan they call next level tech support.

So.... wanted to let people know that resetting the rear travel sensor made a big difference on my bike.
GS-911 site for the semi-active suspension controller shows more than one special service program for s1000r's suspension.
But the only one I could find on the PC/USB gen 2 version GS-911 I bought was for "Calibrate travel sensor".

It did the trick. Big immediate difference.

As a recap - ---

The bike was new and came with both front and rear preload adjusters backed all the way off to full soft and the suspension was very harsh.
I set the sag and it was still brutal over anything other than smooth pavement.
Purchased GS-911 and reset the "Calibrate travel sensor" which made a big improvement.

I had attended an Aprilia sponsored track day where you rode their bikes for the day.
I fell in love with the Tuono factory with active suspension.
The Tuono does not fit me on the street with my less than 29" inseam.
So I found and purchased the BMW equivalent of the Aprilia.
While I have not used the s1000r on the track yet,  I believe the Aprilia active suspension worked better and the bike was not as twitchy as my Beemer. Maybe upgrading the steering dampener would help.

I reran same favorite routes with my well setup track bike and my s1000r.
I think I still feel that I may have ultimately been better off with conventional/not semi-automatic suspension - time will tell.
But I can say I am much happier and enjoying the bike and no longer plan to sell the bike as soon as possible.
Although my first oil change and all the metal crap on the magnetic oil drain plug did/does give me pause....

Regards.

very interesting, thanks for the update.  Upgrading the steering damper made a massive difference for me, as did the switch to a harder carcass tyre (Pirelli Rosso Corsa to Pilot Power RS+).

For info, I'm 120kg with gear and run front a back preload 1/2 turn from max, I've got the bike setup how I like it, just don't have the benefit of being able to switch modes, I leave it in dynamic norm, two helmets for road and track days.
Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 06:21:13 PM by psenior1

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Pro
  • City / Town: Paisley
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 07:43:44 PM
New to all this, how do I get to the suspension settings, one helmet/two helmet?

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 10:55:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Scubaregs [+]
New to all this, how do I get to the suspension settings, one helmet/two helmet?

Itís done through the button on the LH handlebar that looks like a suspension spring. The ownerís manual will take you through it  :028:

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Pro
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 11:04:00 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
Itís done through the button on the LH handlebar that looks like a suspension spring. The ownerís manual will take you through it  :028:

Tried that, also read the manual and saw no mention of it at all.
Does the dongle for dynamic pro need to be plugged in for this?

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 11:18:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Scubaregs [+]
Tried that, also read the manual and saw no mention of it at all.
Does the dongle for dynamic pro need to be plugged in for this?

It was on page 75 in the manual for my old 2015, probably similar in yours. If you go to the index at the back of your manual and look for Damping, Adjusting you should find the right page reference.

You donít need to install the dongle for this.

Online Scubaregs

• S1000R Pro
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 11:26:30 PM
Thanks Simon, was looking at wrong part of the manual, will have a proper read now.