Author Topic: Silver can chain tensioner installed, but ticking noise is louder! Hel  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Qferreira

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 bmw s1000r
  • City / Town: Ajax
Re: Silver can chain tensioner installed, but ticking noise is louder!
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 10:26:01 PM
No yours is clear of the tick, yours sounds good compared to mine. Listen when I rev the bike.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 11:46:42 PM
 :0461:  zombie's sounds normal (cam chain noise on an R). OP's has a loud clicking noise that gets louder as revs go up.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 04:56:15 AM
Sure sounds like valve train noise. I'd be in there opening the rocker cover and doing a detailed cam lobe, cam finger, proper clearance inspection. Pronto. Not an easy job and requires tools. Especially if you want to check the cam timing too.

Offline Qferreira

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Alittle update for those who might still be wondering. Brought the bike back in since it was under warranty still, and they said the issue is a worn cam lobe. So theyíre replacing the cams, valves, rockers and I canít remember what else.

For those with some experience with this, a there anything I can ask for from bmw to help me out in terms of added warranty? My warranty is up in December, and I wonít be riding now till next year April ish.

Thanks everyone

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Very happy to hear BMW is taking care of the problem for you. Very reassuring. I notice your bike is a 2017. When does your warranty expire?  I'm considering getting a BMW extended warranty if there is such a thing here in the US. The warranty on my 2018 expires early next year (had it 3 years by then).
Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:15:24 PM by windyrun

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
I got an extended warranty from my  U.S. dealer, something around $600 for an extra 5 years.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
StarPower is on to it. I would purchase and extended warranty. A good one is Zurich. Be sure to read what it covers if you do. BMW has had a continuing problem with cam shaft heat treatment of their cams. R bikes have gone through several years of problems, and the others too as you have found out. If the dealer did not, change the oil and filter now before winter sets in for good.

Offline Qferreira

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
I only had the 3 year warranty, so it ends this December. Iím hoping I can contact bmw customer service and ask for the possibility of an extended warranty of a year or two due to the worn cams and with worn metal comes metal particles left floating around everything. So Iíll keep you guys updated with how the warranty goes and what else bmw can cover for this issue

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
Be careful, if your factory warranty expires it may be difficult to purchase aftermarket extension.