Author Topic: any 2014 gremlins?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline d_block

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Austin
any 2014 gremlins?
on: September 21, 2020, 12:15:15 AM
I'm seriously considering a 2014 s1r but I'll need to have it shipped and wont be able to ride it in person first (terrifying) so I'm really trying to cover all my bases.

As stated, its a 2014 with about 4,000 miles.  Garage kept and adult owned.  Only mods are a slip on pipe, a wind screen and some sliders.  The posted pictures are sharp and I cant find any road rash. The mileage is unbeatable and it looks well cared for but should I be concerned about a 2014?  With the low miles I worry about any early model issues that haven't reared their head.  Should I opt for a '15 or '16 with more miles? Is there anything else I should be cautious of?

I'm sure you guys get a million posts like this but the circumstances of the purchase make me want to ask all the right questions...  more than usual.

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Re: any 2014 gremlins?
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 12:32:23 AM
Realistically, although the 2014 was the first year of production for the R it's just a lightly modified RR, which had been made since 2010.

Almost all of the bugs have been worked out of the platform by the time the R appeared.

That said, there were a couple of issues with first-run 2014s.  Nothing to scare you off from buying, but items to look for.

The first is fairing panels coming loose at speed.  In the initial run of bikes, BMW didn't fasten the very front corner of the colored main side panel to the black backing piece.  This was fixed with a recall.  You can easily check to see if it has been done, and if not, get the local BMW shop to do it.  It should be no cost.

The second is the radiator overflow tank running dry.  In practice, this isn't an issue but it did spook a fair number of owners and BMW did make some changes for the '15 model year.

My bike was the first R sold in Southern California, and it did have the loose panel problem.  I got it sorted with no difficulty.  My overflow tank also runs dry, but this has never meant my radiator loses coolant.  It has always been perfect.

Also, my bike just had its 48,000 mile service and was flawless internally.  No valves have ever needed to be adjusted.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline d_block

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 12:50:38 AM
Thanks for the quick response.  I was actually just reading your post about 48,000 miles, congrats!  The issues you mentioned seem super manageable, so that's good.
The two issues that still spook me a bit are:

1.) I've read about a recall due to an inlet valve failure. I know these are only on select bikes and this should come up through service records yes?
2.) I saw a post on this forum about some exhaust valve failures.  Again, I understand this is a very limited chance, but I want to make sure I fully understand it before pulling the trigger. 

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 12:55:20 AM
Valve failures have happened, but are rare.  I wouldn't worry much.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 07:20:41 AM
I also have an early 2014 bike - I have never had any issue with it.
On 21k km now (still a long way to go to catch Miles)

I still have the old overflow tank and I do not have issues with it running dry.
My coolant level evens out after a coolant flush and stays there.

Never had fairing issues, but I changed it all for carbon so wouldn't have noticed it in any case.
I got nothing.....

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:40 PM
Purchased my '14 in '15 with 960 mi. on it. Like you, sight unseen, but with lots of pics and from a dealer in Florida (I'm in California!) that specialized in muscle cars mostly, but a few bikes like this. I've had no real concerns so far and all were fixed under warranty. The low miles and not a private seller along with a killer price including the $960 delivery fee made me comfortable enough. It arrived in mint condition. I used Federal Trans. as my AMA membership got a good discount, more than the cost of a membership!

Good luck!
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline d_block

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 05:16:48 PM
Thanks to all for easing my anxiety.  I finally pulled the trigger and am working out shipping now.  Now I just hope it gets here before winter fully sets in!  Very exited!