Author Topic: MisFire-Hesitation - Cure  (Read 4059 times)

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
MisFire-Hesitation - Cure
on: September 18, 2020, 08:50:59 PM
Just sharing some knowledge of an experience I had with my bike recently, may be of use to someone in the future.

Last weekend I was out on the bike and it misfired and then ever so briefly cut out twice on the journey home.

When I got home I decided to check the battery was secure, noticed my comfort seat was loose and thinking possibly this was allowing movement in the battery and the hesitation, I tightened it up and checked the (already tight) battery leads, took it out for a 30 min spin and all seemed to be fine.

By good fortune(?) the bike was due to be picked up by BMW a few days later for another waterpump replaced(was only replaced in June...now on the third in 2 years).

The pump was replaced but my dealer (BMW Wollaston) rung and said the technician had noticed the "Engine" light was flickering on just briefly as the revs came down..They had the bike another day and a half and diagnosed a the side stand switch to be at fault for the light and hesitation/cutting out.

Seems logical as id had a similar issue with my old KMX200 back in the 90s.

Bike has now been returned and despite it being (just out) of warranty, no charge for  parts or labour, which you kind of expect but its good to have your expectations met !

Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:51:17 PM by podders

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Re: MisFire-Hesitation - Cure
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 10:14:43 PM
Thanks for the tip and nice to hear another good dealer experience :)

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 10:57:25 PM
Great dealership service and experience I would say.   I could only hope Id be so lucky.
17S1KR

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 01:17:03 PM
Sorry to hear of yet another water pump replacement Podders. I've done one to date on my 2018. I prodded the service guy at the time to try to get a sense of how common the problem was for them and what was the defect in the part. He said 'they've seen a few over the years' but didn't elaborate much regarding the part other than saying 'it's a seal'

Guessing it must be cheaper for BMW to continue to replace the part with existing(possibly defected) stock rather than re engineer/repair to new. Other than the inconvenience of being without the bike for a short stint, no skin off my nose. Service in my case was great both with roadside assistance and the dealership and I've long since moved on.

So far. I can't fault BMW warranty and the service I've received.

Thanks for the insight on the stand switch. With it being close to the ground, primarily out of sight, exposed to weather and road debris, its worth a hands on check from time to time at the least.     

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:38:07 PM
Looks like my Dad's failed today!  Its a 310R, we went out for a run on it to a cafe some 30 odd miles away and noticed coolant on the spoiler section, coming from this wee pump, which leads to the waterpump..?  Anyroad, its never done it before, bike has done just 165miles

My friend was there on his new BMW 1250 Roadster thing as well....his engine management light had come on during the journey over!

Oh...and K1600s are being recalled for a major gearbox rebuild apparently, sub standard finishing on components so my tech friend says...

Do love my "R" but BMW engineering and QC certainly isnt what it was in the 80s and 90s thats for sure...Good job the dealer is so good or I would certainly never buy another.

sociology-monitor