Author Topic: Fuel filler cap colour  (Read 379 times)

Offline Timbo

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Bedfordshire
Fuel filler cap colour
on: August 12, 2020, 04:33:18 PM
I know it's a long shot but has anyone found out the colour of the fuel filler cap?

I bought an SW-Motech EVO tank ring (reluctantly, I really want to keep the look of the bike as neat as possible), but the outer ring that replaces the one on the bike is grey and not silver. If I keep the tank ring I will need to respray it to get a better match.

You can see the colour difference on someone's youtube video here:
I know I'm probably being daft but the colour mismatch really offends me. I'd rather wear a backpack.  :001:

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Fuel filler cap colour
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:29:30 PM
I can’t help you with the colour but I’d think carefully about painting the ‘horseshoe’. You could affect the fit / engagement of the bag locking mechanism. And the ‘horseshoe’ could end up looking like a dog’s dinner if the paint starts to wear off after you fit and remove the bag a few times.

Offline Timbo

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Bedfordshire
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:21:47 PM
Hi Simon,

It's not actually the black 'horseshoe' I want to repaint, it's the grey ring underneath it. Because the S1000R and RR tank rings are screwless, the SW-Motech adapter replaces the whole ring itself that the 'horseshoe' mounts to. So there's not actually any physical contact during use.

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 08:59:41 PM
Take the 2 parts yo a decent bodyshop and they should be able to match the colour for you.

For reference, I took bought a pillion seat cover that was red and needed painting to match my storm black metallic bike. It actually got painted using a Suzuki colour as that was the best match, and the match is perfect.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 09:15:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Timbo [+]
Hi Simon,

It's not actually the black 'horseshoe' I want to repaint, it's the grey ring underneath it.

I see what you mean now, and it would be annoying to have the ring a different colour. I forgot the R was screwless, unlike my GS.

If you don’t want to pay someone else to paint your ring, any decent car paint supplier will be able to colour match the OE ring and provide the paint to diy if you take it in to them.

Worth the effort to sort it out, I really like the Motech tank bags - so much neater than tank bags of old with their magnets or straps.