Author Topic: Bad regulator  (Read 530 times)

Offline DRoss

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
Bad regulator
on: August 07, 2020, 12:49:09 AM
My R/R seems to be bad. When hot the voltage is bouncing around and getting well above 15 volts. When cold acts normal. Its almost impossible to get to it, any tips or tricks to removing it. The service manual just says to disengage brake res and height sensor but these things hardly make it more accessible. I did manage to get a bit in one of the screws a couple of times but slipped out felt like may have started to strip it a little bit. Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Bad regulator
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:58:20 AM
my 2c worth, if you have to work in that area for it is worth taking the extra time and remove the tank, remove the lower 2 rear subframe bolts, loosen the top 2 and swing the subframe up. Yes, a bit of extra work, but I did this to take the servo out and then to take the rear shock out. Gives lots of room and no skinned knuckles. Now all I have to remember is that I have AP rearsets on and not to walk into them(they are lethal!!)

Offline DRoss

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:52:05 PM
Thanks I'll give it a try. Yeah took me a while to get used to my Vortex rearsets those suckers are sharp and seem to jump out and bite.  :008:

Offline DRoss

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:44:42 PM
Update on my trials and tribulations with the electrics. Removing tank and moving the subframe out of the way helped but still could not get the dam bolts out despite buying and trying a few tools may have started striping them in fact. So figured I'd relocate the R/R, didn't want to cut the plug as there is not a lot of room to work on them. The male plug is hard to get either China or the UK so I ordered from the UK took a month to get here. Finally get a new R/R hooked up and off I test 50 miles later voltage goes random dash starts doing strange things again. I think can't be the stator as it get hot after just a few min of running and they usually just drop voltage and not deliver random output. I put in the battery from my VFR its a little tall and the seat rests on it but I figure it would be ok for a 90 mile ride. I get to the half way point where the day before started showing problems (and point it would reliably fail) and all was good and all the way home no problems. So the Battery Tender lithium  batterie went bad at 1.5 years :( Nobody even suggested check the battery as they usually don't fail like that. New Yuasa old style on the way from Amazon.

sociology-monitor