Author Topic: GS-911WIFI to calibrate suspension  (Read 728 times)

Offline onesaintsfan

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: McComb Mississip
GS-911WIFI to calibrate suspension
on: July 13, 2020, 12:40:15 AM
Has anybody here used the GS-911WIFI to calibrate the suspension after adjusting preload?  I know on the RR it can be done in the menu system of the bike but there is no provision for that in the menu of the R.   There is also no mention of calibration in the owners manual under suspension adjustment.   It is a service function under the S1000R tab on the GS-911WIFI software tho.
Damn a Motorcycle, if someone would buy this thing I'd take the bus home!
                                      Big Daddy

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: GS-911WIFI to calibrate suspension
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:34 AM
I have used the GS 911 to re-calibrate the suspension on my 14 R, but I don't think it was after setting the pre-load! I used it after removing and re-installing the shock and forks for service. I do think it is necessary after doing pre-load, but it probably would not hurt.

Offline onesaintsfan

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 01:13:46 PM
Thanks.   They say you must do it on the RR but no mention on the R so your probably right.   But like you said , canít hurt.
                                      Big Daddy

Offline onesaintsfan

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 05:38:44 PM
If you watch videos and read about people using the GS-911WIFI on their RR bikes with DDC, then it would make sense we should do that procedure on our R models.   If the sensor does not know that travel which is affected by preload settings , then it wouldnít function properly
                                      Big Daddy

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 05:46:22 PM
I guess I agree with you, but that would mean that the majority of owners(who don't have GS911 or equivalent) would need to go to the dealer every time they adjusted preload.

Offline onesaintsfan

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 07:49:58 PM
That and the fact there is no mention of that in the manual makes me agree with you as well.  RR is much more track focused than our bikes but just canít hello but wonder.  I started down this whole rabbit hole because of my weight I had the preload cranked way up.  As long as the road was pool table smooth no issues.  But and bumps or hard edged ripples in the pavement was painful.   I stumbled on this idea while watching a video on calibration of the DDC on a RR.   Then I saw that one of the service functions of the 911 on the R is recalibration of the DDC and travel sensor.  So got me to thinking.     I have put the front and rear preload back to their midway setting and did the recalibration.   I took a short non-aggressive ride and that harshness is gone.    So was it the recalibration, backing off of the preload or both?
Who knows but Iím going to play around with it and see.  Canít hurt right?    It makes sense to me that if you change preload, you change suspension travel.  So therefore that travel sensor has to know a change has been made to work right.  Maybe thatís why you adjust preload with engine running and no weight on the bike.   But bottom line if there is no mention in the ownerís manual and no option in the bikes menu them PROBABLY that does not need to be done after each adjustment.    But on the flip side , why is it in the GS-911WIFI software for the R?
                                      Big Daddy

Online DRoss

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 08:52:35 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I guess I agree with you, but that would mean that the majority of owners(who don't have GS911 or equivalent) would need to go to the dealer every time they adjusted preload.

Don't be giving BMW any ideas.

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 09:32:16 PM
If it's not in the manual, I'd say it's a fair bet it's not needed.  If the calibration is only done in software, what difference would adjusting preload make?

Offline onesaintsfan

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 09:37:03 PM
The more I research it the more I agree. Spring Travel is affected by Preload, so you would think the spring travel sensor would need to be calibrated. All i can figure is this is done when adjusting preload since the ignition is on.
                                      Big Daddy

Offline onesaintsfan

• S1000R Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 09:44:13 PM
Found this on another site........ Food for thought.   Difference between GS911 calibration and the bikes menu calibration. 

Have experimented with ddc Calib and rear travel sensor movement and found that if the rear travel sensor has changed more than a small amount (change in preload)it will not calibrate. I also found that if the rear travel sensor has changed more than a small amount, the ddc CAN be recalibrated with a 911. It appears the calibrate function on the motorcycle only checks for a position change and fails if there is a change from the prior 911 or Dealer recalibrate.
Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:45:19 PM by onesaintsfan
                                      Big Daddy