Author Topic: Finding the perfect bluetooth & camera combination  (Read 512 times)

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Dynamic Pro
  • City / Town: Sun Diego
With my new Shark Carbon GT helmet, I want to put a nice bluetooth headset and camera on it. Before I begin, are there such intercom systems that allow you to randomly drop in on and talk to a random rider you meet on the road?

Specs I am looking for are

Bluetooth headset -
    Universal intercom
    Loud, high quality speakers for music

Camera
    4k 60fps

This eliminates the Sena 10c EVO because it is limited to 30fps at 4k. I believe you can scale down to 1080p 60fps, but I can't listen to music while recording. Slim, lowprofile mounts are a plus, which is why I was looking at the SMH10r. The SMH10r lacks universal intercom, and has to have an external battery mounted to the outside of the helmet. For these reasons, I am looking at either the SENA 30k or the Sharktooth Prime. The only sticking point I have is the sound quality comparison. I'm not sure if the 30k has universal intercom, but SENA is releasing HQ upgradeable speakers for the 30k and other models later this year, as they said in their press release here-

https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/07/article/premium-hd-speakers-coming-soon-for-sena-devices/

The Sharktooth Prime is a low profile system designed for my helmet, but I'm not sure of the performance of the speakers. I ride with foam earplugs under my fullface helmet, and have had to turn volume up to max to hear anything before I hit high speed wind noise on my previous intercoms.

On to the camera -

I plan on only using the camera on my motorcycle helmet as a chin mount. The only camera features I am looking for is high FPS at 4k, a reliable unit, and a cheaper price point. For these reasons (except the price point) I am looking at the GoPro Hero 7 Black. This camera is GoPro's cheapest with all of the camera capabilities (minus their 3D). One downside of this camera is having to mount an additional mic in the helmet. I'm sure there are better priced cameras of other makes.

What are your takes and opinions on helmet cameras and coms? Better alternatives to GoPro? All-encompassing intercom systems you have found? Opinions on camera chin mounts, velcro (thru-visor) vs adhesive?

SENA 10c EVO

SENA SMH10r

SENA 30k

Sharktooth Prime

GoPro Hero 7 Black

Velcro (thru-visor) chin mount. Interferes with weather seal?

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Re: Finding the perfect bluetooth & camera combination
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 08:22:51 PM
No.  Every bluetooth setup (of any kind, ever, anywhere) requires you to pair both ends of the connection.  There is no way to simply see another rider wearing a bluetooth headset and say hello via some automagic connection.

That said, my riding buddies and I have been running various generations of SENA headsets over the years and have been extremely happy with them.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 08:24:35 PM
We are both in San Diego.  I could loan you an older SENA I have (A 10) so you could see if you like the functionality.

PM me and we can discuss details.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 08:40:19 PM
Personally I use a Sena 10R (I think this is an upgraded version of the SMH10R). I like the fact it is pretty low profile, plus once you get the muscle memory the buttons are pretty easy to find and operate.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:04 PM
I've got an 20S, had the SMH5-FM before that... Sena works well enough. If you ride with people with a certain brand, just buy what they have.

If you're just using it for music or w/e, I think the cheapest piece of junk on Amazon would likely be good enough.

But really, just watch this...

Offline Simonr23

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 11:02:55 AM
Late to the party, but have used several Sena units. Smh5, 10s, 20s, 10c, smh10, 10r

10c is the best all-rounder, but crap battery life, due to video.

I have a 10r now and a gopro 7 for the video.
Gopro video is better than the Sena and a bit better battery vs the 10c, too.

Also have a handlebar remote for the 10r- awesome accessory!

sociology-monitor