Author Topic: New helmet from Shark  (Read 404 times)

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Dynamic Pro
  • City / Town: Sun Diego
New helmet from Shark
on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:14 PM
Today I purchased the GT Carbon Shestter from Shark. Made in France, I've seen these guys sponsor WBSK riders all the time. I'm in the US, and this model is currently only available in Europe, so I ordered it from the Netherlands. I needed my next helmet to have a reduction in weight so I'm glad I found a carbon fiber model. My old helmet was too heavy with a SENA and gopro mount on it.

Pros:
Lightweight carbon fiber
Drop-down sun visor
Bluetooth headset compatible
Interchangeable cheek pads/liner to go between sizes XS, S, and M
Color matches bike

https://www.chromeburner.com/shark-spartan-gt-carbon-shestter-carbon-red-anthracite-full-face-helmet

Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 04:23:05 PM by Cutter

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: MalmŲ
Re: New helmet from Shark
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 10:42:51 PM
I have a Shark Spartan Carbon.
Found the helmet to be very noisy, hope they have made the next generation better. Seal on the visor isn't tight on the sides.
Overall very good helmet, little drag for us on naked bikes.

Sun visors are a really nice touch, and on Shark's they go down enough to block out all the bright light.
(I went with Shark because their Bluetooth system is called SharkTooth and that is just badass)
Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 10:44:20 PM by VARRAKK

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 03:51:39 PM
*Originally Posted by VARRAKK [+]
I have a Shark Spartan Carbon.
Found the helmet to be very noisy, hope they have made the next generation better. Seal on the visor isn't tight on the sides.
Overall very good helmet, little drag for us on naked bikes.

Sun visors are a really nice touch, and on Shark's they go down enough to block out all the bright light.
(I went with Shark because their Bluetooth system is called SharkTooth and that is just badass)

Hopes of noise and weight reduction are the two reasons I went to this helmet. I've been using an $80 Bilt Force for the past two years and its loud even with earplugs. I ride with Mac's 32db Foam Earplugs religiously, and the wind noise still kills me in that full face helmet. I tried a Shark modular and the fit was very snug, much better than my current helmet. Really hoping I notice some improvement.

Does your SharkTooth pair with all makes of headsets? I have a SENA SMH5 in my Bilt Force I'd rather leave in for passengers.

Offline TheRat

• S1000R Member
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 04:32:31 PM
For the record, Shark are a French company, but most of their helmets are not made in France, but in Thailand especially the carbon ones.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17íS1KR
  • City / Town: New England
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 04:42:41 PM
Nice looking lid and graphics.  I bought a Sql 2 as a second helmet.   Mine says made in Portugal inside. Venting is minimal but I really like the LEDís for added visibility and love the drop down shade.  Very comfortable padding inside but the cheek pads do snug up in comparison to my  Shoei RF1200.  So, Iíll use it on cold days and those shorter days of light in early fall/spring. :028:
17íS1KR

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 06:23:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Cutter [+]
Hopes of noise and weight reduction are the two reasons I went to this helmet. I've been using an $80 Bilt Force for the past two years and its loud even with earplugs.
(snip)
I have a SENA SMH5 in my Bilt Force I'd rather leave in for passengers.

I wouldn't let my worst enemy wear an $80 helmet, let alone a friend (passenger).

Offline Cutter

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 08:55:19 PM
Found a 3D printable/CNC Machine file for a GoPro mount made specifically for the Shark Spartan helmet

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4325301

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 09:04:46 AM
I've used various Shark helmets over the years - S800, RSF3, Skwal
Most of them were fine, but they do have a lot of wind noise.

After the atrocious visor design they chose for the Skwal that is now used on their other helmets I have moved to an AGV K3 SV.
I have not had any issues with it and the ventilation is very good (this is vital in our hot climate) without any more wind noise than I had on any of the sharks I've owned before.
I got nothing.....

sociology-monitor