Author Topic: HID , 55w or 35w  (Read 796 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#10

Offline Enzio

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 268
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
  • Country: za
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:33:04 PM
*Originally Posted by bboytaktix [+]
awesome thanks for the reply! I was actually leaning towards the Morimoto mini - just too bad they only sell them in pairs. Were you able to use the other side in place of OEM projector and did it require lots of modification if so?  Thanks for the baking info - if it is double sided tape I think I will just take my time to slowly pull it apart with my tools (thin screwdrivers and clamps) I actually have some butane string left over from my retrofit days so I can use that in place to put them back together.

Not sure yet if I will pull the trigger on this retro or not - although our long winters are a perfect time to work on these headlights while the bike is stored.

I only fitted a bi-xenon projector in place of the reflector low beam.

The high beam is a fully sealed unit - if you take the fairings off you will see what I mean.
So it cannot be replaced with a retrofit unit as I suspect it would be impossible to seal it water tight.
It also has less space and less mounting options (unless you want to start cutting and modifying the headlight frame bits behind the fairing but I wouldn't do that).

To be fair, the only thing not reversible with my retrofit is the cut reflector bowl.
So if I wanted to make it "stock" again all I would need to do is buy an accident damaged light to get a reflector bowl.
I got nothing.....

#11

Offline bboytaktix

  • S1000R Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: 2020 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
  • Country: ca
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:44:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Enzio [+]
I only fitted a bi-xenon projector in place of the reflector low beam.

The high beam is a fully sealed unit - if you take the fairings off you will see what I mean.
So it cannot be replaced with a retrofit unit as I suspect it would be impossible to seal it water tight.
It also has less space and less mounting options (unless you want to start cutting and modifying the headlight frame bits behind the fairing but I wouldn't do that).

To be fair, the only thing not reversible with my retrofit is the cut reflector bowl.
So if I wanted to make it "stock" again all I would need to do is buy an accident damaged light to get a reflector bowl.

interesting, thanks for sharing. The high beam IMO is useless, which is why I have been looking for a nice retrofit in low beam (bi-xenon even better) to replace both and get proper lighting and output, since I dislike riding at night especially with this type of light. Two more questions for you: 1-Where did you mount your HID ballast? and 2-Did you use a high beam splitter for your bixenon in order to still supply power to OEM high beam and also provide power to the cutoff solenoid in new low-beam projector?  thanks.

#12

Offline Enzio

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 268
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
  • Country: za
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 02:49:24 PM
*Originally Posted by bboytaktix [+]
interesting, thanks for sharing. The high beam IMO is useless, which is why I have been looking for a nice retrofit in low beam (bi-xenon even better) to replace both and get proper lighting and output, since I dislike riding at night especially with this type of light. Two more questions for you: 1-Where did you mount your HID ballast? and 2-Did you use a high beam splitter for your bixenon in order to still supply power to OEM high beam and also provide power to the cutoff solenoid in new low-beam projector?  thanks.

Happy to help.

The ballast is behind my instrument cluster - I think this is a good spot as it is relatively out of the weather (I ride all seasons) yet there is some airflow over it to help cool it.

For the high-beam shutter I just tapped into the OEM high beam feed wire.
It draws very little power and I have not had issues with this setup
I got nothing.....

#13

Offline bboytaktix

  • S1000R Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: 2020 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
  • Country: ca
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 02:53:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Enzio [+]
Happy to help.

The ballast is behind my instrument cluster - I think this is a good spot as it is relatively out of the weather (I ride all seasons) yet there is some airflow over it to help cool it.

For the high-beam shutter I just tapped into the OEM high beam feed wire.
It draws very little power and I have not had issues with this setup

Excellent, and great idea on the ballast location. think I will go for this retro over the winter, I can't stand poor lighting! Maybe I should start a mod thread for my bike hahaha

#14

Offline Enzio

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 268
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
  • Country: za
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 03:04:06 PM
*Originally Posted by bboytaktix [+]
Excellent, and great idea on the ballast location. think I will go for this retro over the winter, I can't stand poor lighting! Maybe I should start a mod thread for my bike hahaha

https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,6006.msg91466.html#msg91466
I got nothing.....

#15

Offline bboytaktix

  • S1000R Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Bike: 2020 S1000R
  • City / Town: Montreal
  • Country: ca
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 03:32:02 PM

Way ahead of you - already creeped on your thread yesterday! Nice progress and love the color - didn't find much details in your thread on the retros which is why I asked all my questions here.

#16

Offline Enzio

  • S1000R Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 268
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
  • Country: za
Re: HID , 55w or 35w
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 04:17:40 PM
*Originally Posted by bboytaktix [+]
Way ahead of you - already creeped on your thread yesterday! Nice progress and love the color - didn't find much details in your thread on the retros which is why I asked all my questions here.

 :008: OK, cool

Yeah, I should have added more photos as I lost all the ones I had when my phone died in December.... :155:
I got nothing.....