Author Topic: Fork stem mounting your iPhone  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Mitslol

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Alkmaar
Re: Fork stem mounting your iPhone
Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:34:23 PM
Yes I broke my iPhone too with this mount.

Offline miker

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: S1000r Sport 15
  • City / Town: Hanwell
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 12:12:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Rexy_In_Oz [+]
She fits.....now to road test

How has it held up?

Offline Grumpy Goat

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 01:36:32 PM
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
Find out what size the Quadlock ball is. If it is the same as Ram Mount then you have tons on choices of how to mount your phone.

word of caution. iPhones are known to have weak optical stabilization motors. I've seen many many cases online and in person that the vibrations from a motorcycle will cause the optical stabilization motor to fail and render your camera useless.

I can attest to that. I have had 2 iPhone XRs fail, where the rear facing camera gets the jitters and there is this buzzing sound as the autofocus mechanism tries to focus itself to death. NEVER had an issue with any of the Samsung phones that I had and mounted to the bars of my bikes. Now I have 2 bikes with handlebar mounts that I am scared to use because I still have the damned company iPhone.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2014 BMW S1000R

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 01:56:18 PM
I understand why you want to mount your phone, but a precautionary tale. I had a friend who hit a deer at 11 at night, he was on an Interstate, he and his bike ended up 30 ft off the road, but ways apart. He lay there for a number of hours weakly calling out. His cell phone was in the topbox(nowhere near him), so ho could not make the call to at least alert someone. Luckily for him there was a house in the vicinity and the owner was letting their dog out in the middle of the night and heard somewhat subdued cries for help.

Personally, my phone is in my jacket pocket, just in case.

Offline Grumpy Goat

• S1000R Member
Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 02:17:06 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I understand why you want to mount your phone, but a precautionary tale. I had a friend who hit a deer at 11 at night, he was on an Interstate, he and his bike ended up 30 ft off the road, but ways apart. He lay there for a number of hours weakly calling out. His cell phone was in the topbox(nowhere near him), so ho could not make the call to at least alert someone. Luckily for him there was a house in the vicinity and the owner was letting their dog out in the middle of the night and heard somewhat subdued cries for help.

Personally, my phone is in my jacket pocket, just in case.

Very good point of course although kinda hard to see it when using the GPS function. Luckily I rarely use it as a GPS since I have a Nav VI, so my “delicate” iPhone will have to go in my pocket or tank bag.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2014 BMW S1000R

Offline miles

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: A red one
  • City / Town: San Diego, CA
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 03:07:05 PM
Add me to the list of those who won't bar-mount their iPhones any more.  After I killed a second phone camera it became obvious where the source of the problem lay.

I had been using mine for navigation, but I think I'm going to buy a dedicated GPS for the bike.
Just keep your head held high
Kiss your fist and touch the sky

Offline TonyB

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Burton
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 10:30:02 AM
I have a quad lock and was getting the shakey stabilisation issue (phone seems to have fixed itself a bit now).  Clearly I'm not using the holder until the vibration addition is available.

Quad lock emailed me today to say that it should be available sometime next week - just for info for anyone with a quad lock.  Holder is actually great.

Offline psenior1

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Ash
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 05:21:27 PM
Ultimate add ons stem mount user here.  Great system but I’ve now killed two iPhone 11 cameras, so won’t be using for anything other than gopros from now on
Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:21:52 PM by psenior1

Offline TonyB

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Burton
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 07:45:45 AM
Vibration holder from quad lock arrived yesterday so they are available if you can get one from stock.  Seems like the normal high quality quad lock item though it does look a bit ‘weird’ and untidy. Still, if it does the job then all good.... time to see if I can break my iPhone!!!

Offline Grumpy Goat

• S1000R Member
Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 01:39:26 PM
*Originally Posted by TonyB [+]
Vibration holder from quad lock arrived yesterday so they are available if you can get one from stock.  Seems like the normal high quality quad lock item though it does look a bit ‘weird’ and untidy. Still, if it does the job then all good.... time to see if I can break my iPhone!!!

Thanks to your post I just ordered mine. It’s on back order but they claim will be shipped next week. I hope it works. These iPhone cameras are a Royal PITA. Never heard of any issues with Samsung phones which I used to have before switching my company phone to iPhone. 😏
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2014 BMW S1000R

sociology-monitor