Author Topic: Fork stem mounting your iPhone  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Rexy_In_Oz

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s1000r
  • City / Town: Sydney
Fork stem mounting your iPhone
on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:34 AM
Evening iso sufferers
I wish I had reviewed this forum before installing a quad lock on my handlebars and killing my iPhone. Expensive mistake.
Anybody installed the quad lock fork stem mount?
I like the solid feel of the quad lock but trying to find a different place to mount it.
The state government in Oz are easing travel restrictions so I can travel state-wide & need my phone as a navigator to explore the country roads.
Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:32:41 AM by Rexy_In_Oz
Riding on the edge (but not over it)

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport '19
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: Fork stem mounting your iPhone
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:05:22 PM
Sorry I can't help you on that accessory but your post has got me thinking about a similar mount for an action camera now.  As someone who makes YT videos, the vibrations through the bars make it next to impossible to mount a camera to them and there aren't many other places to bolt or attach one!

For my phone, I have a suction-cup mount on the inside of my BMW Sport screen and I attach my Ultimate Addons case to that (for my Galaxy S9+).  Its a bit floppy I admit but at least the phone doesn't get vibrated to death!

I hope you get some feedback but we might just have to be the trail blazers on this one lol
Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:06:07 PM by Headf0x

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 08:45:04 PM
Find out what size the Quadlock ball is. If it is the same as Ram Mount then you have tons on choices of how to mount your phone.

word of caution. iPhones are known to have weak optical stabilization motors. I've seen many many cases online and in person that the vibrations from a motorcycle will cause the optical stabilization motor to fail and render your camera useless.

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 09:09:42 PM
Had two iPhones on my Sport now , mounted to the bars, in my Ultimateaddons case, the thick rubber insert must make a difference as no issues with either.  I prefer the speedo on the iPhone so its always on the bike.

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 04:01:33 PM
As is usually the case with me, when I see an accessory I'd like to try out, I first see if I can make something similar with the bits and bobs I have lying around in the shed... Et voilà!

A bolt, two Nyloc nuts, two washers and a piece of rubber pipe that happened to be close to the size of the I.D. of the steering stem.  Gripping onto the thread of the bolt with a pair of pliers (being careful not to ruin the thread) before fitting the main camera mount, I was able to wind down the top Nyloc nut in order to squash the rubber piece and create a decently tight fit in the stem.

Now, in the 20 miles or so I've done so far, there are still vibes that make it through to the mount and the camera and they can affect the picture at certain revs, however they do certainly seem to be less severe than what I get with the handlebar mounts that I've tried.  Now that I've proven (to myself) that this could be an improvement on using a handlebar mount, I'll go and order a proper one from Ultimateaddons and keep my fingers crossed!

I hope that this post and my description of the vibes will help Rexy_In_Oz come to a decision about the phone mount.

Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:10:27 PM by Headf0x

Offline Rexy_In_Oz

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:06:24 PM
Haha
Maybe not the aesthetically pleasing look I am going for but on the back of your alpha product I have gone ahead and ordered one.
Report to follow.

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 11:27:22 AM
Lol my home made attempts are rarely pretty :005:

One thing that might catch you out though - I have bar risers on my bike, without them your phone mount might not fit between the steering stem and the handlebars.  I could still have that problem with the UA mount I've ordered... I'll just have to wait and see!
Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:28:48 AM by Headf0x

Offline Rexy_In_Oz

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:43:00 AM
I have a plan B. If it doesn’t fit under the bars then I can use it on my CBR600 F4i

Offline Rexy_In_Oz

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 09:49:59 AM
She fits.....now to road test

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member