Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Akrapovic Optional Header Clearance Issue  (Read 1148 times)

Offline FinancialMistake

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Akrapovic Optional Header Clearance Issue
« on: May 24, 2020, 05:55:31 AM »
So I was trying to throw on my exhaust headers today and ran into a clearance issue. Is this a factory error (where they threw the exhaust flange on backwards) or is this something I need to find a workaround for? In the picture they supplied with the manual, the exhaust spring attachment point is on top of the lower exhaust bolt on the inner pipe on the throttle side of the bike instead of on the bottom.

Exhaust flange has issues clearing the block.

Closeup of the exhaust flange against the block.

Picture from installation guide from Akrapovic showing the exhaust flange spring attachment point being on top instead of on the bottom on the outside lower bolt of the inner (middle) throttle side flange.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:02:43 AM by FinancialMistake »

Offline Funky

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Akrapovic Optional Header Clearance Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »
I’d say you need to flip that flange over, either that or it’s on the wrong port.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:03:42 PM by Funky »

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »
Have to agree with the above. If you look at the picture supplied(from Akra?) you will see that the left and right sets of flanges are mirror image, so the 'outboard' spring for each down pipe should be high and the 'inboard' spring should be low. Your photo is obviously one of the middle pipes, but which one?

Offline FinancialMistake

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 12:04:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Funky [+]
Id say you need to flip that flange over, either that or its on the wrong port.
Flange is welded onto the pipe. They aren't removable unless you cut into something from what I can see, but my experience is limited and this is my first time dealing with this kind of issue. I'm suspecting this pipe slipped past Akra's quality control.

*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Have to agree with the above. If you look at the picture supplied(from Akra?) you will see that the left and right sets of flanges are mirror image, so the 'outboard' spring for each down pipe should be high and the 'inboard' spring should be low. Your photo is obviously one of the middle pipes, but which one?
The inner one on the throttle side of the bike.

Sorry I didn't get a better picture of the pipes - space was limited. Here's one that shows all 4 pipes along with the clearance issue.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:10:19 PM by FinancialMistake »

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »
1) what make exhaust?
2) are you sure the flanges are welded on to the header(this would negate the need fro springs)?

check out the photos here - https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,8914.0.html (btw, the left 2 flanges are oriented incorrectly in the photo, they should be a mirror image of the right 2)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:33:20 PM by SimonUK »

Offline FinancialMistake

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:02:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
1) what make exhaust?
2) are you sure the flanges are welded on to the header(this would negate the need fro springs)?

check out the photos here - https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,8914.0.html (btw, the left 2 flanges are oriented incorrectly in the photo, they should be a mirror image of the right 2)
1) Akrapovic. It's the optional titanium header (E-B10E5)
2) Flanges are NOT welded to the header. The header terminals are welded so that the flanges cannot be removed.

I went out to the garage to snap more photos and also double check that this wasn't some simple issue that I could have resolved had I put a little more time into it. Here are some better photos of the flanges and also a schematic from Akra's website. From what it seems, the spring attachment point should be oriented upwards on the outboard side and downwards on the inboard side. It looks that way from their installation manual in the first post too.

Offline FinancialMistake

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 03:08:58 AM »
Turns out I'm a bloke. The terminals come off with elbow grease. Figured that one out after seeing your reference picture. Thanks Funky and SimonUK!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:17:03 AM by FinancialMistake »

Recent Posts/Topics