Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Small amount of up/down play in handlebars, is this normal?  (Read 260 times)

Offline molynda

• S1000R Junior
I was adjusting front preload and as part of that was lifting and pushing by the bars a few times when I noticed the handlebar itself was moving, just a little, in a sort of up and down motion. I never notice this when I ride (2017 onwards, Sport model).

Specifically, the slight up and down movement is at the base around where the rubber bushes and clip mounts meet the fork cross brace. I checked all screws and bolts (4 at the top and two bolts from underneath as didn't want to remove bars to check as they're perfect) and they are all tight.

So my question is whether this is normal and other owners of 2017 onwards have this same small up and down play, only noticeable when lifting/ compressing the forks? I don't notice any bar movement at all when I ride so hoping it's just as intended with these rubber bushes and not a developing problem...

Offline George

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Bmwr1200r
  • City / Town: Sunderland
Re: Small amount of up/down play in handlebars, is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 06:49:13 AM »
I'm no expert but I think it's normal because of the rubber pads. If i pull hard on one of the grips there is a tiny movement also. If it moved with a small amount of pressure I would have it looked at however.

Offline molynda

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 02:44:36 PM »
That's great to know. Agree and just resting on the bars or rolling the bike around there is no movement at all, I only noticed it through lifting and compressing the front when adjusting preload. I figured the rubber bushings are to reduce vibrations so it's possible that permits some movement but wanted to double check. Thanks for confirming it's not just me!

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:17:26 AM »
The idea of the rubber pads was to reduce vibration in the bars. Was a problem for some in earlier bikes. These pads do help in isolating the grips. Had a 2005. It did have some vibration but I have always been on the side of ignoring it. There were some complaints. Those folks never rode a Harley from the old days.   :164:

Recent Posts/Topics