Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best Option for Front DDC that money can buy.  (Read 1830 times)

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Best Option for Front DDC that money can buy.
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 07:10:28 PM »
Right fork is 'static' in the sense that there are no electronics or changeable damping characteristics inside. There is however pre-load adjustment, via the black 'nut' on top, pre-load can also be affected by changing the spring 'stiffness' in either right/left/both forks, but once forks are on the bike, the only external adjustment (to pre-load) is via the 'nut' on top of the right fork leg.
The left fork leg has an internal(i believe sealed) damper that is controlled electronically based mainly on the DDC mode(14-16 soft/normal/hard, 17 + Road/Dynamic) and a little by the riding mode you are in(rain/road/dynamic/dynamicpro) which adjusts the damping characteristics(not sure if it does both rebound and compression or just rebound).

Offline Norkaw

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R blue
  • City / Town: Stavanger
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »
Well Simon S1KR, it is ok, I am not an expert, I just tell you what I feel, so as long as I and this forum learn anything from this, I dont mind beeing the clown.
I am starting to think that when I ride hard, it is really Harley Davidson hard  :008:
I wish that I could brag of my investement rather then tell you what I feel, but I am 100%honest in this case, you guys tell me why I feel this way about my bike now.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 08:20:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Norkaw [+]
Well Simon S1KR, it is ok, I am not an expert, I just tell you what I feel, so as long as I and this forum learn anything from this, I dont mind beeing the clown.
I am starting to think that when I ride hard, it is really Harley Davidson hard  :008:
I wish that I could brag of my investement rather then tell you what I feel, but I am 100%honest in this case, you guys tell me why I feel this way about my bike now.

Youre not a clown for asking for advice and Im not an expert either. Youve honestly described how your bike feels to you and how it feels to you is what matters. Hopefully someone here knows more about suspension behaviour / set up than either of us and can give you some good suggestions to work with.

Although I dont have my R any more, I remember that it didnt feel very agile in soft mode, but for me this was more because the soft damping allowed the bike to wallow more during braking, accelerating and cornering.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 10:38:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Right fork is 'static' in the sense that there are no electronics or changeable damping characteristics inside. There is however pre-load adjustment, via the black 'nut' on top, pre-load can also be affected by changing the spring 'stiffness' in either right/left/both forks, but once forks are on the bike, the only external adjustment (to pre-load) is via the 'nut' on top of the right fork leg.
The left fork leg has an internal(i believe sealed) damper that is controlled electronically based mainly on the DDC mode(14-16 soft/normal/hard, 17 + Road/Dynamic) and a little by the riding mode you are in(rain/road/dynamic/dynamicpro) which adjusts the damping characteristics(not sure if it does both rebound and compression or just rebound).

Great explanation SimonUK. Thanks for clarifying and providing.  I did notice while riding today that the right fork has no wire connected on top (the way the left fork does), but does have the black nut on top as you describe.

Where I have been puzzled in the past is when I sit on the bike with front brake engaged and I press forward on the front to see how stiff the compression is that the compression "seems" the same in both road and dynamic (I have an '18 MY bike).  I will try and see if I can tell if the rebound is different.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:45:28 PM by windyrun »

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 11:24:49 PM »

I did forgot to add that rear pre-load is also affected by the 'helmet' adjustment, but this only affects the rear shock.

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 04:11:28 AM »
I did forgot to add that rear pre-load is also affected by the 'helmet' adjustment, but this only affects the rear shock.

Preload is manually adjusted on the forks and shock for DDC .

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
read into this what you will.

Offline molynda

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:33 PM »
Anyone have a rough idea what it costs to change the front springs? I'm at 120kg (including lock down weight  :008: ) and have the bike two turns out from max on front and rear.

I'm quite embarrassed to say I never considered suspension before because I came late to riding and so for the past 6 years only owned BMWs with DDC/ESA and stupidly assumed it was sorting it out for itself  :138:. I've had the s1000r for 18 months but had a problem with understeer. After adjusting to near max preload it already feels a million times better in the corners. There is no static sag now in the rear and front will still bottom under very hard braking but otherwise it's good.

Want to start planning/saving now for correct springs front and rear and research best place to do the work (I'm in East Yorkshire).

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 03:47:19 PM »
Im having my mechanic replacing my (Wilbers 9.5kg) front springs & oil this Friday for $150 service. Wilbers springs were $167 & bottle of oil $24.  My DDC rear Wilbers ran me $1300.  Hope that helps.
17S1KR

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 04:59:28 PM »
read into this what you will.

Its talking about load and dampening. Nothing about preloaf

Recent Posts/Topics