Author Topic: Exposing the ECU (DME) connectors  (Read 458 times)

Offline virtualsj

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Lake Macquarie
Exposing the ECU (DME) connectors
on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:36 AM
I'm tracking a fault with my quick shifter. I need to get access to the wiring harness on the ECU, can someone tell me how you remove the plastic connectors so I can get access to the cables coming into it? I know how to remove the harness from the ECU.

Offline MachWun

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '16 s1kr premium
  • City / Town: Wading River
Re: Exposing the ECU (DME) connectors
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 08:59:34 PM
I'm interested in hearing about your quickshifter woes...I am in the same boat.

I have hooked up a labscope to the shifter.  The QS appears to work fine.  It is a variable voltage output.  3 wires.  5v, ground, and a signal that goes from .5v to 4.5v. 

I believe my issue lies with my Attack rearsets.  If I reset adaptions, the QS will work for a day or so and slowly get harder and harder to get it to activate.

Offline virtualsj

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:42:58 AM
In my case I couldn't reset the adaptions because the voltage was outside the tolerances. I ended up getting a replacement from a bike wreckers as I couldn't stomach paying for a new one which is almost AUD $900.

The Germans god love them do like to be precise and there there is no room for anything to not be as they designed :001: . So given you have changed your rearsets and most likely also changed the length of the shift rod. You also said you can reset the adaptions and it works for a day or so. These two pieces come out of the repair manual and you might want to check they match your configuration. The manual also says not to adjust the rose joint on the bottom of the shift rod.

Offline MachWun

• S1000R Member
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 02:56:19 PM
*Originally Posted by virtualsj [+]
In my case I couldn't reset the adaptions because the voltage was outside the tolerances. I ended up getting a replacement from a bike wreckers as I couldn't stomach paying for a new one which is almost AUD $900.

The Germans god love them do like to be precise and there there is no room for anything to not be as they designed :001: . So given you have changed your rearsets and most likely also changed the length of the shift rod. You also said you can reset the adaptions and it works for a day or so. These two pieces come out of the repair manual and you might want to check they match your configuration. The manual also says not to adjust the rose joint on the bottom of the shift rod.

Did you pull those screens from Ista?  I have Ista+ and it's so difficult to navigate.

I have not gotten into the s1000r ECM yet, but as an auto tech, most bmw ecm connectors consist of usualy 4 seperate connectors, slid into the side of a connector holder thing, then that holder gets locked onto the ECM.  Check the sides of the connector after removing it from the ECM.  You may find that they all slide out of the side, making for backprobing much easier. 

I am fairly sure my QS has everything that you posted done to it, and still it fails.  Last night I rotated the shift arm on the trans 1 tooth, and shortened the rod a bit.  I'll test it tonight. 

This is getting tiring.  The QS and trans on my Daytona was butter smooth.  This is just a total POS if you ask me (QS on S1kr)

Offline virtualsj

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:44:29 AM
I have the same diagnostics as you, once you have done it a few times you get to understand where they bury things. The pictures are out of the upgradeable DVD workshop manual which is very handy but a pain in the arse to search through.

Have you done a software update on the bike? If you have what is your current I-Level?

Offline MachWun

• S1000R Member
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:21:20 PM
My current I Level is K001-15-07-522

Do you have the ability to see if this is the latest software for the bike?

Last night I believe I finally got my QS working seemlessly...Only problem is it leaves the shifter arm in the most uncomfortable spot for shifting.  I will have to rig something up to lower that arm about an inch. 

I ended up changing to GP shift, and rotating the transmission shift arm 1 tooth towards the front of the bike.  I'm not sure if one, or both got it working. 

What I hypothosize is the ECM looks for a certain voltage (read pressure) from the QS and correlates it to the changing gear position sensor.  If one shows more change than anticipated, it fails to shift. 

The attack rearsets have  way overcomplicated lever system behind them...I suspect that is my fault.

Good news, the S1000R ecm connector is very easy to expose.  Pull the ECM out.  Each of the 2 connectors have a very simple cover over the wires.  Snip the zip tire, and use a very small flat head to pry the cover off.  Again it's a very simple cover.  Nothing like the connector on BMW automobile ECMs.

Offline virtualsj

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:11:31 AM
This screen shot has the release version of the I-Level that my bike came with and the current level. I have upgraded it several times. I also did an upgrade today to the March 2020 release. There may be also be a newer release.

This is the version I went to. The only update in the version was for the DME (ECU) and the QS is part of the DME although I don't know what parts of the DME got updated.

For the QS you need to be within 3% of the voltages or it will not work. Have you also tested the microswitches for the clutch. It may not be the case for you however if the plastic cam on the bottom of the clutch lever does not activate the switches correctly the QS will either not work or randomly work. I have also had the QS stop working whilst riding and required a ignition off/on to reset it, easy to do whilst riding. 

Offline MachWun

• S1000R Member
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 09:16:19 AM
I called my local dealer 2 days ago and they told me there are zero updates for my bike since 2016.  Guess I'm going to have to give them a call back and double check.  Mine is a
'16, so it may be different than yours.

I assume you have a bootleg Ista.  Mind sharing what hardware you are using to interface it with the bike?  I only have the software.  I use a GS911 for diagnostics.

This would've been much easier to diagnose if I would've been able to find that screen talking about the QS voltages being within 3 percent of each other.

The 17 has QS up and down correct?  My 16 only has 1 variable voltage channel on the QS.  Your screen indicates there are 2.
Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:17:15 AM by MachWun

sociology-monitor