Author Topic: One helmet vs two helmets  (Read 2533 times)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: One helmet vs two helmets
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 06:17:29 PM
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
Preload is adjusted using socket on s1000r. No C spanner needed

Youíre absolutely right of course. How soon you forget when you donít own the bike any more!  :192:

Online podders

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 08:26:49 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
The two helmet setting increases the compression damping, if I recall previous discussions directly.

It'll also fire you out of the seat constantly at speed on a bumpy road!  Defo 2 up use only.

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 09:45:43 PM
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
It'll also fire you out of the seat constantly at speed on a bumpy road!  Defo 2 up use only.

Just to counter that.

Before I had my bike professionally set up I used to pretty much ride solely in Dynamic Plus, with dynamic suspension setting and only 1 helmet.

My riding is fast road and track and while I'm not claiming to be a riding god, i am usually up there with the quicker guys in the pack.

I then took the bike along to someone who was recommended to me for bike set up and he had just retired from racing at the TT on S1000RR's so was well versed in BMW's electronic suspension and set up.

During the set up we had a good bit craic and he did say that 5 S1000R's could come in to him for example each with the same person riding them and the 5 bikes would / could all leave with 5 different set ups. Apparently there are slight nuances between each bike and how the DDC can be set up best.

I'll be honest, even to me, as an engineer, I couldn't figure out why that should he the case but I'm a firm believer in listening to those more qualified and knowledgeable than i am on a particular subject.

I didn't really expect to come away with the bike feeling much different to how it went in as it felt mega in the first place.
I was shocked at how good it felt after only half a mile down the road. I wont submit was night and day different, but it was markedly improved. So much more compliant and smooth and it held a line far better than it did previously.

For reference the after having everything set up the settings the bike could be set up the best in was. Road engine mode, Road suspension mode and 2 helmets with tyre pressures on Michellin Power RS+ being 36psi rear and 32 front for road use.

I know other people on here have been to the same guy since, it would be interesting to hear what settings they ended up with.

To summarise ...
2 helmets doesn't always = bucking bronco.

Online podders

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 09:07:18 PM
Sounds promising mate.  :028:

Im sure this ex TT racer would appreciate the publicity if he has a business?

I do find the suspension a strange one, it occasionally can feel to soft on fast transitions, other times too harsh, once lockdown is over, ill have another play with it.

Online Airsafari87

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 03:12:12 AM
*Originally Posted by podders [+]
Sounds promising mate.  :028:

Im sure this ex TT racer would appreciate the publicity if he has a business?

His place is in the middle of buttf**k nowhere up here in County Durham. And as long as it's not against forum rules I am more than happy to post the business name on here though.