Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Loss of Acceleration  (Read 645 times)

Offline BmwBertie

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: s1000r sport
Loss of Acceleration
« on: April 02, 2020, 12:09:07 AM »
I have a 2019 S1000r sport and I have encountered the following problem with my bike.

When riding at any speed, the bike suddenly loses power - feels like the brakes have come on.
If I open the throttle there's no increase in revs.
If I close the throttle, it feels like severe engine braking and the bike slows quickly.
The bike never actually cuts out.
It has happened when I change gear into 4th or 5th using the quickshifter...This problem has happened 4 times over the past 3 weeks..only had the bike 5 weeks....
I recently had a flat battery that was replaced by BMW and this problem has occurred ever since.

Any ideas?...bike was due to go back for diagnostics but the virus has put an end to that .

Offline Zig Zag

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Black Storm
  • City / Town: Virginia
Re: Loss of Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:14:58 AM »
Welcome to the Forum.
Make sure the connections to your battery are tight.
You should remember that its peace of mind youre after and not just a fixed machine.
Robert Persig

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
Just out of curiosity, did you verify you don't have a dragging brake caliper?  I had an issue with the rear caliper on my 2007 R1 and I couldn't figure out what was going on, the bike just felt sluggish in any gear above maybe 3rd?

The piston was pushing so hard the brake pad eventually wore away (I thought I had fixed it by cleaning the slides, nope!) and it bent the backing pad for the caliper.

$75 on ebay got me a good condition rear brake assembly (yours is no doubt warrantied, if it is the brakes)

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zig Zag [+]
Welcome to the Forum.
Make sure the connections to your battery are tight.

Thats a good a start as any, its quite often the simple things and if you have had the battery replaced recently, worth checking....keep us posted anyway.

Offline NHS1R

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 17-S1R, 10-K13S
  • City / Town: Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 02:47:43 AM »
Is it going into limp mode? If you stop, turn off ignition and restart, is it OK then?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 02:57:50 AM by NHS1R »

Online beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 06:01:34 PM »
Check and make sure the cable connector to the throttle is snapped in all the way. It is right at the grip and underneath a little. This can be loose and cause what you describe. (goes into limp mode due to loss of signal)

Recent Posts/Topics