Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: spark at battery when reconnecting  (Read 639 times)

Offline clik

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
spark at battery when reconnecting
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:47:42 PM »
spark at battery when reconnecting indicating something using power .
Would this be the cluster keeping the time correct for the clock as i had to reset the time
Thanks

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: spark at battery when reconnecting
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:37:01 PM »
Depending on which lead you connect first, you will often get a spark, it is not indicative of a load being applied.
The time/date is stored in volatile memory, which means it is cleared when you disconnect the battery.

Proper sequence for reconnecting a battery on a vehicle is positive first, negative second. (reason for this is if you inadvertently touch positive to chassis while reconnecting, you're not completing the circuit to the battery)

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:42:38 PM »
Without an alarm or other accessory installed do our bikes have a parasitic load? I was not aware of one.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Knobnose

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: '17 S1000r
  • City / Town: Kailua, Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:54:33 AM »
The clock must draw something.

Offline clik

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 06:56:37 AM »
I agree with you the clock must keep time with the power from the battery
or it would not need to be reset when you remove or replace the battery .

Thanks for the replies  :002:

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »
But a spark from a clock load? I'm surprised and suspect it is something else. I would put an ammeter on it to be rest assured.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Online beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »
There is a small load, generally around 15ma. Can be more with things like alarm systems. Keep in mind a BMW bike can kill a battery in a few weeks. Nice that you got a new battery from BMW but their batteries are not that good. Do some looking around for the next one when your out of warranty. And if you don't ride your bike every few days use a smart maintenance charger. Sulfation is your worst enemy when you let a battery drop in charge. Starts the path to lower total capacity even though the voltage looks good.

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
Again, I don't think 15mA can make a noticeable spark. I just swapped out my OEM battery 2 days ago with a Li-ion dropped 6 pounds and was cheaper then the OEM (or many aftermarket lead/acid). I was thinking of this post and checked for sparks on the OEM as I disconnected and re-touched the terminals a few times then did the same on the Li-ion - nothing I could see in the shade anyway.

I really would put a meter on it, well worth the 10 minutes it will take IMO.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »
Looks like any further advice will fall on deaf ears... clik has left the building  :027:

Offline spider

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2018 1000R-SPORT
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »
It is 10 days since my last ride my battery was nearly flat i charged up and then thought i would disconnect to see if i had this spark at the terminals and i have a small spark when connecting
 the battery back up i dont have any alarm on or any accessory i used my GS911 and had to set the clock time as it was out of sink i also dont have the knowledge to test any further the stock battery
should hold its charge more than a few weeks surly 

Recent Posts/Topics