Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork Seal Leaking - Advice please  (Read 327 times)

Offline Jetta

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015 - S1000r
  • City / Town: Kildare
Fork Seal Leaking - Advice please
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »
Hi All,
Advice please:
I done 300km Drive yesterday and notice this morning 1 of the front Forks is leaking, needs seal done,
I've planned to go out again today am I ok to do this or can I cause harm to the bike by using it?
(I will get forks done in a few days)

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
Re: Fork Seal Leaking - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:25:41 AM »
Jetta,

IMO and experience, as long as its not leaking excessively and you can still feel the rebound dampening, you can squeeze another ride in. But do get it fixed, these type maintenance issues seem to get away from us a bit more than intended sometimes. Not that I advise pushing any limits or anything.....

Mark62

Offline podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 12:01:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jetta [+]
Hi All,
Advice please:
I done 300km Drive yesterday and notice this morning 1 of the front Forks is leaking, needs seal done,
I've planned to go out again today am I ok to do this or can I cause harm to the bike by using it?
(I will get forks done in a few days)

Bit of a bodge I know but secure a decent cloth (something like a woven microfibre item) to the leaking leg with a cable tie, , should help the oil getting onto the brakes and you having to replace the brake pads along with the seal...

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mark_62 [+]
Jetta,

IMO and experience, as long as its not leaking excessively and you can still feel the rebound dampening, you can squeeze another ride in. But do get it fixed, these type maintenance issues seem to get away from us a bit more than intended sometimes. Not that I advise pushing any limits or anything.....

Mark62

I hope that was a result of a standing burnout in lieu of a tire swap shortly after.   :005:
17S1KR

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 05:13:44 PM »
Actually it was my Buddy trying to get back home when the Boys were saying "just one more road" while on a MC trip. He keeps fresh tires at home and just didn't want to stop at a dealer. The original plan was for a much shorter trip. I think sometimes our individual circumstances push us to do things we shouldn't, like get in that "one more road". He keeps the picture in his garage as a conversational piece.

I thought he could have gone further if they would have found some more right handers....

:087: :087: :087: :112: :112: :005: :005: :156: :156:

Offline Circus

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R, Red
  • City / Town: San Diego
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
You can try this: https://sealmate.net/

Only two kinds of people in the world . . . women and children.

Recent Posts/Topics