Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: s1000r cruise control switch  (Read 665 times)

Offline mfrodrigues

• S1000R Junior
s1000r cruise control switch
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
Hi all

Tks for this great forum, and I have learn a lot here. I have a cruise control problem on my 2015 s1000r. It's the most common problem that I've seen here related with the sensors deactivating the cruise.

My problem is that the cruise control only remains engaged if i keep pressing the switch. As soon as i release the switch, it will move the the left, (see image below)and will disable cruise control. The switch has no strength to remain on the right.

Any idea/workaround to fix this without replacing the entire left piece that will cost around 500?

Tks!!

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
Re: s1000r cruise control switch
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:42:05 PM »
I leave the on/off switch permanently in the " on " position.
If I had your problem I'd use a dab of contact adhesive to hold the switch in the " on " position.

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »
Is the micro switch engaged?

Some 3rd party clutch levers aren't precise enough.
When you pull in the clutch you should hear the click, one for CC and second for Quick shifter.
Same when you release it.

Offline JaseG

• S1000R Pro
  • Its not about going fast, but about having fun.
  • Bike: S1000RR M / S1KR
  • City / Town: Hedon
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »
Sounds like a broken switch, if its moving back unassisted.

Offline S1rdek

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1r
  • City / Town: Northeast
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 11:09:07 PM »
Of course it's a broken switch. To be precise it's not latching. He has said as much. He needs a cheap solution as he doesn't want to layout 500 notes & it's why I suggested a cheap fix.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 03:00:02 AM »
shove a toothpick in the gap to stop it dis-engaging.

Offline mfrodrigues

• S1000R Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by S1rdek [+]
Of course it's a broken switch. To be precise it's not latching. He has said as much. He needs a cheap solution as he doesn't want to layout 500 notes & it's why I suggested a cheap fix.

Tks for the feedback! As an experiment, a couple of days ago I've inserted a piece of paper to stick the button and it worked perfectly.. for a few miles :)

After your feedback I was also thinking that I don't need the button to disable the cruise control, because I have several ways to do it (brake, clutch), so I was afraid of doing something more permanent as inserting glue, but you are totally right. This is the best option to avoid a 500 repair.

Yesterday, after Simon feedback I've inserted a small toothpick and the button seems to be stable, and I think that this may do the trick, however I will only know by doing a real test with a few miles.
If this does not work, I will go with the glue option, that indeed is the best and more permanent. If I insert it behind the button no one will notice.

Tks again for the quick feedback!

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
I'm not sure if you will get lucky with this or not but it's worth a try?

Speak to your dealer as there is a known issue with left hand control unit, inparticular with the cruise control.

I had what sounds like a very similar problem with my last bike and it was replaced without question under warranty.
It also got obliterated by a pheasant at ***mph 3 weeks later so I also know the eye watering cost of replacement unit.

So go in there, speak politely to them about the problem and you may either come away with a new unit being fitted, or at least some advice on how to rectify the problem yourself.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »
I will add that I just leave mu switch in the 'On' position permanently!

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 04:40:06 PM »
Mine has been on since I purchased it. All other methods to disengagement are easier. I typically fully close the throttle and back up to where I want to be manually. Convenient as you need a hand on the throttle anyway if turning off cruise.  It's like a shift blip. Yep - glue!
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Recent Posts/Topics