Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rubbish horn  (Read 540 times)

Offline Perbunan

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000r Sport.
  • City / Town: West Mids.
Rubbish horn
« on: February 09, 2020, 08:13:18 PM »
So discovered the stock horn is pathetic, had a search on here and had my thoughts confirmed that there isn't much room for an upgrade...
Anybody had any success replacing the OEM, I was hoping a Denali would fit somewhere.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: Rubbish horn
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:25:42 PM »
I think a couple of people have squeezed a Denali Sound Bomb Mini in there (best to check by doing a search for details). Anything bigger than that would definitely need to be located elsewhere.

Ive just ordered one from Nippy Normans for my GS (plug and play). Although the stock horn sounded pretty decent in my garage, it sounded more like the roadrunner going meep, meep when I had to use it on the road yesterday. I doubt the SB Mini will be much louder than stock, but Im hoping for a slightly more manly tone from it...

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 04:35:41 PM »
I managed to get the sound bomb mini in mine. Man, it is real tight! There is only one position that works but it works!
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Perbunan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:25:07 AM »
Ok, thanks I will get one ordered and go to battle, does it fit onto original bracket and did you use the Denali adapter harness with the BMW plug making it a simple plug n play?

Offline starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »
I don't go plug-n-play if it costs extra, prefer solder and heat shrink. I can't recall if I used the OEM bracket or made one, I seem to recall using the OEM however, I do recall I had to mess with it.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:05 AM »
I added a second horn (similar to the OEM one) under the right side cover.  You can see the whole sorry saga here.... I decide on fitting the horn under the right side cover at about the seven minute mark:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:19:44 AM by Headf0x »

Offline Perbunan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »
Great, thanks for video, dual horns seems to be the answer then!

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Headf0x [+]
I added a second horn (similar to the OEM one) under the right side cover.  You can see the whole sorry saga here.... I decide on fitting the horn under the right side cover at about the seven minute mark:

Great placement for the dual horns.   Definitely a better upgrade over the stocker.   Im going this route but need to find that link where the dual horns sound like a Cadillac from the 70s.  Saw a guy with a Ninja who had them and people noticed quick before they attempted to cut him off.
17S1KR

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
Just to give a little follow up...

The Denali Sound Bomb Mini was a disappointment for me. The tone is much better than stock (deeper, more car-like). However it is definitely not as loud as my stock horn, let alone two times as loud as claimed on the box. I havent got a dB meter to back that up with hard numbers, but the difference was sufficiently clear by ear to me. It also would not fit in the OE location (unless I started cutting my plastics, which Im not going to do). The plug and play Canbus adapter made the electrical connection a cinch.

All comments relevant to my GS, so your experience with the R may be different.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
Well I guess the Denali is scratched off my list then. Some YouTube clips of it didnt impress me either.  Now Im looking at the Screamin Banshee mini which might be a good fit for the bike with a bit of dB gain over stock.
17S1KR

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor