Author Topic: Chain tensioners  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Hilift

• S1000R Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000r msport
  • City / Town: The east coast
Chain tensioners
on: January 19, 2020, 12:01:59 PM
Anybody converted there chain tensioners from the standard set up to the , "lightech " type .?
I like the idea of the click adjustment on the more pricey setups , any body looked into how the £40 Chinese knock offs compare to the more expensive brands .?????

They look to be a price of cake to fit , and a damn site more accurate to adjust .

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Chain tensioners
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 12:43:48 PM
I have Lightecs on my R and they are great, easily adjusted and accurate, plus they do not fall off when you remove the wheel. I also have a set of chinese knockoffs on my XR, whilst they look the part, I will be replacing them soon. they work OK and are better than stock, but there is too much play in the mechanism(for me) which makes then a little harder to adjust accurately(you need to keep making sure the wheel is up against the stoppers like OEM).

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 02:47:46 PM
+1 for the lightech's. Pricey for sure but worth it IMO.

Offline clik

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:40:06 AM
Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:44:23 AM by clik

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:59:23 AM
*Originally Posted by Hilift [+]
Anybody converted there chain tensioners from the standard set up to the , "lightech " type .?
I like the idea of the click adjustment on the more pricey setups , any body looked into how the £40 Chinese knock offs compare to the more expensive brands .?????

They look to be a price of cake to fit , and a damn site more accurate to adjust .

This is just my advice and itís up to you but I bought what I thought were genuine Lightech adjusters off EBay - the idiot is still selling them - they were cheaper but only about 20% off so still a reasonable sum.

They arrived in a brown box (not Lightech packaging) with no instructions.

I had serious reservations about them - the adjuster didnít click cleanly, there were swarf fragments  in the threads, and the machining for the screw insert was untidy.

I got my money back via EBay / PayPal.

Would I trust them on my bike ? No way - someone has previously posted either here or on the FB page with an adjuster collapse from an unbranded cheap set.

For me I need to be 100% confident in the bike - the forces going through the rear wheel, swing arm are incredible and I didnít want any potential weak links in that.

For mods, if itís a certified brand from a reputable or trusted source then it generally covers most bases.

Iíd just say buyer beware really. The amount of fake, unsafe bike gear is incredible, from clothing, helmets, brake parts, bolt-ons to even engine oil and oil filters !

Online windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:09:59 PM
Not to mention the hardworking people that take the risk to invest in the design and development of parts / products that you want and need.

Buying knockoffs only risks being able to benefit from new products in the future (if new products even are invented) and your neighbor (and maybe you) having a job.
Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:11:26 PM by windyrun

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:11:05 PM
*Originally Posted by nrthrnbkr [+]
Sensible stuff said by nrthrnbkr

I've seen failures on track before of rearsets and brake levers where people have fitted cheap chinese knockoffs to their bikes and it is effing scary!!

It is true that not every knock off part is going to fail, but the likelihood of it failing over its genuine counterpart, or alternative genuine but cheaper part is very much increased.

Only an idiot, would even consider fitting them to their bikes.

Offline RobLaw

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Gold Coast
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 05:32:21 AM
*Originally Posted by clik [+]

what's to stop your axle moving forward?

Offline clik

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 08:21:45 AM
Hello Rob
Its the same set up as light tec there is a block at the rear that sits behind the adjuster screw
to compare both sets they are 99% identical so other than a problem with the alloy and production used to make each item you could have the same problem with the light tec, my view is providing the axle bolt is correctly torked up and marked for checking it has not slackened off
There should be no problem

Offline clik

• Ex Member
  • S1000R Member
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 10:13:10 AM
This is a company that does some quality work for our bikes its in  german but you can see the difference in quality and costs less than most vendors if i change i will go for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9BPaaR_kig

sociology-monitor