Author Topic: Bren tuning - any up-dates??  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 R
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
Bren tuning - any up-dates??
on: January 16, 2020, 12:56:58 AM
    This is not an entirely new subject, but one that never fully came to a conclusion from several months back. Has anyone tried the Bren tune on a 2018 or 2019 S1000R recently? At this time they offer a ECU exchange, or the handheld device. And equally important, did you have before and after dyno runs? If anyone has tried this and you don't mind sharing, please include any and all modifications prior to, or included with the flash process.

I am currently installing an Akro front section only on my 2019 along with the Sprint air filter and AIT sensor relocation kit from Bren. I have already dynoed the bike totally stock and will be glad to share my follow up dyno results after adding just these two items mentioned above. I do plan to get my hands on the fuel side of things, but want to do a bit more research before my decision on what route to go. With the cost of mods on this bike, I just want to see if anyone else has gone with Bren tuning, your experience with them, and the the results.

Thanks in advance

Mark62
"Life is fast, never look back and never let off"

Online starpower

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: '14 S1KR, ZeroS
  • City / Town: Potter Valley
Re: Bren tuning - any up-dates??
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:58:51 PM
I've been putting this question out for about 4 years now and have yet to see anyone (Bren included) post a before and after dyno run. Unfortunately, I did not do a before run and after the Bren ECU flash it was 151 h.p. with Sprint P08. Seat-of-pants said not much difference in power but shifting was notably smoother esp. 1-2. and a very nice flat power curve. I've seen stock numbers published between 143 - 156 h.p. At the time I did mine Bren  stated that I could pick up about 20 of the 30 h.p. lost to the RR, I really don't think I got that and suspect with the different cams it is not possible to extract that much just from a tune.

Still waiting.......

It really amazes me that these numbers are not out there in the 5ish years this has been available.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Online SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 06:23:32 PM
Here's my take on it. I think the 2-30 extra ponies advertised were for the RR, going from stock to full exhaust/filter and race fuel.

Unfortunately, like you, I have not had mine on a dyno. Again, like you, shifting is smoother and more precise. At a guess I would say she picked up 3-4hp, but she runs way better throughout the rev range(again just my seat of pants feel) and pulls much stronger from 3k revs up.

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:28 AM
starpower / SimonUK,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the 3 or 4 HP peak. The low/midrange is where I see potential based on my dyno runs at this time. And the gains reside in the lower gears. We dynoed my bike in 2nd, 3rd & 4th. The loss was the greatest in 2nd gear. Here is where the Bren tune could simply removes the OEM restrictions, which is significant in it's self. In fact on my bike (totally stock) once it got to 9K, the A/F was pretty much spot on to 11K where it flattened out. From about 3K up to there, we found some potential torque and HP to be gained from A/F corrections.

Adding the pipe, filter and AIT re-locator will produce some additional power and I will have those results, prior to adding the ECU flash. At this point, I believe the Bren option is a good one based on the fact they free up some existing midrange power already available with or without the items mentioned. I will post the results as the project progresses. Attached is a copy of my first dyno run.

Also if there are any other comments or concerns about Bren, I am interested in those as well.

Thanks Mark62

Online starpower

• S1000R Pro
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 05:21:53 PM
Well, BrenTune for sure stated that the "tuned out 30 h.p." of the RR engine can see "up to" 25 h.p. recovered in the single R. I think we can all agree that it is more like 10% of this claim. My attached AFTER Bren ECU flash run looks very similar to your pre-flash/tune. It is notable that the mid has a nice bump instead of your dip.
"The most beautiful things in the world are those from which all excess weight has been eliminated" - Henry Ford I, 1893

Offline nrthrnbkr

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R sport
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:23:11 PM
We have to be realistic in that it is pretty much impossible to get 10% power increases in bikes just with electronic re-tuning. The biggest gains are by removing emission systems, fitting free flow exhausts and Dyno mapping the AFR - itís fair that this may in an optimum scenario give you anything between 5 and 10 bhp on the same Dyno. Iíve not seen one certified Bren Dyno result that proves any meaningful gains . I donít believe that mailing off your ECU on any planet, will give you Ď20 bhpí - I think itís horsesh*t really.

Thereís a wealth of racing evidence out there and power is released by careful and skilled electronic fuel and ignition tuning and Dyno use, alongside actual physical engine tuning. Whether thatís as simple as exhaust porting and cam revisions before you even get into serious modifications. A gas flowed head and livelier cans along with all the other stage 1 stuff above,  Ďmightí get you 20 real world ponies if done absolutely right - and it wonít be cheap.
Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:25:43 PM by nrthrnbkr

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:43:01 PM
starpower

I agree on the smooth torque and HP curves. I also notice that your motor pushes past the 11K mark to it's peak HP, and looks like the power drops off much more gradual. IME this usually allows you to wind the bike an extra 2 or 3 hundred RPM in each gear. The result is your motor starts at a slightly higher HP throughout all the gears. While it is not much, it ultimately makes the bike accelerate faster. As far as the 30 or 25 HP claim, that is disappointing.

It is hard to see exact details on a graph, that is why I always ask for a excel type report with my dyno runs. I then take that information and make my own sheet for direct comparisons. Since there was a noticeable difference in my bike from 2nd gear to 4th, I looked at those numbers. At some RPM's there was as much as a 8 or 9 HP difference (highlighted in green). The Bren tune should correct that by removing the factory restrictions. But remember, it only would remove the restriction in any of the gears that have it. In this example, it would be 2nd gear. This is one reason why your bike feels much faster after a tune, although it does not necessarily make much more peak power in the un-restricted gears. If the tune also corrects the A/F defeincies (where and if they exist?) that also adds to the extra power, as seen in your smooth power curve. It is the same with the RR but I am told the difference is much greater. But they should be clear that they are simply removing the restriction and allowing the bike to deliver HP & torque that the motor already produces. I think this is where some of the confusion is for folks about the tuning process in general. I will try to attach my spreadsheet but am not sure if it will be readable?? That might help explain my point. In any case, when I retest my bike again, before any tune ups Bren or otherwise, I will have an idea what kind of additional HP & torque I could expect. Just so you know, I don't expect a big change.

In closing, for what's it's worth... You likely got some good work done with Bren. Some folks get caught up in peak numbers that don't always tell the full story. Making more power all the way through a given power band in every gear will make a bike accelerate much faster. My bet would be that your bike would run off and leave mine convincingly in a roll on acceleration test. Even though the peak HP numbers are close.

Sorry for being so long winded and thanks for your feedback and sharing your dyno sheet!

Mark62

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 12:02:10 AM
nrthrnbkr,

Agreed on both the 10% and 20 HP statements. And I am glad you mentioned same dyno. There are sometimes a big swing in operators and machines for sure. On my Honda I was given a dyno sheet that showed almost 109 RWHP. When I tested it here, we only got 99 and some change. I really don't know, or care, which one is correct? I just wanted to use the same machine and operator before starting my project, and finishing project back then. Very glad I did. My curiosity in reopening the subject was to see if anyone out there had made changes or mods using the same machine and operator with before and after data. There still may be someone?? But if all goes well, I will be able to provide that information in a few weeks, and with details to go along with it. I have not decided yet if I will go with Bren or not?? But regardless of what I do, as seen on my spread sheet, there is about 5 HP average to be gained just from removing the factory restrictions in the lower gears. Still doing my homework and it's winter here.

Thanks for your input!

Mark62

Online starpower

• S1000R Pro
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 05:16:06 PM
Mark62, Thanks for the info and good luck with your mods! I look forward to the evolution.

Online starpower

• S1000R Pro
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 05:32:49 PM
It should also be noted that my '14 is listed at 160 h.p. your '19 BMW claims is 165. My dyno run was on 91 octane.

sociology-monitor