Poll

Lets take a poll and see what our resident SKR forum members prefer on their bikes

Metzeler Sportec M7RR tires
6 (40%)
Dunlop Sportmax Q3 tires
4 (26.7%)
Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tires
3 (20%)
Continental Sport Attack 3 tires
0 (0%)
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 23, 2019, 06:33:15 AM

Author Topic: Tire choice poll for your SKR's  (Read 2528 times)

Offline RHB Motorsports

• Approved Vendor
  • S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
Tire choice poll for your SKR's
on: December 16, 2019, 06:33:15 AM
Guys lets take a 7 day poll to see what the tire of choice is for our SKR's.  After taking the poll leave a little feed back as to why you chose that particular tire.  If the tires you use arent listed in the poll then reply letting us know what tires you are running.  And also leave a little feed back on your tire choice.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R sold
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Re: Tire choice poll for your SKR's
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 11:48:32 AM
None of the above. 

I've always run sport touring tires (Michelin PR3, PR4 and now Bridgestone T31's) on all of my bikes (R1, VFR1200, S1KR and soon on my Multi once these OEM fitment Scorpion Trail II's wear out) never once felt I was trading off too much grip for being able to run a set for more than a season.

Online windyrun

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 12:21:38 PM
I chose the Q3+ since it was recommended by my dealer for good road tire if I was planning on also doing track days. It was also the tire being used at a track school I went to (super bike with RRs) so thought that would make sense.

Not ridden in rain. It is very sure footed for my riding and was great on the track day on an s1000rr I rented. Took some getting used to when I first put them on since they tip over much quicker than the original s20 (?) tires the bike came with.

I think I will go with M7RR or M9RR next. Had those an a daytona and loved the smooth transition when leaning over and they were very good on wet roads.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 12:28:56 PM
 :0461: with Zombie

I thought the Roadtec 01s were pretty decent, but have been even more impressed with the PR5s.

Tbh (puts on flame suit) Iíve thought for a while that full on sports tyres are probably a waste of money for a lot of riders. For sure there will be some riders who can really use their bikes to the extent that the extra grip of a sports tyre is necessary but itís unlikely to be the majority. I reckon more than a few could benefit from the longevity of sports-touring tyres if they gave them a go. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but thatís all it is!

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 12:59:25 PM
This past fall, I swapped out for Bridgestone S22's. Came down to those or the Dunlop Q3's. Coin toss choice. I use the bike for mostly spirited riding, some commuting, I wanted a tire that offered the best of both worlds. So far, the S22's seem to do the job. Don't find myself riding in the rain so I can't comment on that aspect. 

Offline SwiftTone

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: Ducati SFs
  • City / Town: Bosstown, MA
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 02:32:37 PM
Q3+ for me. My last set me last me 7500 miles including 3 trackdays in advance group, and hundreds of wheelies. It tours pretty okay too for a sport tire.

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R sold
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 02:33:50 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
:0461: with Zombie

I thought the Roadtec 01s were pretty decent, but have been even more impressed with the PR5s.

Tbh (puts on flame suit) Iíve thought for a while that full on sports tyres are probably a waste of money for a lot of riders. For sure there will be some riders who can really use their bikes to the extent that the extra grip of a sports tyre is necessary but itís unlikely to be the majority. I reckon more than a few could benefit from the longevity of sports-touring tyres if they gave them a go. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but thatís all it is!

Unless you're doing track days or riding way beyond legal speeds on the street (I mean pushing at 9 or 10/10ths) it's unlikely you'll ever need more grip than a good ST tyre, IMO.

Offline DRoss

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: s1000r, fz1
  • City / Town: Mariposa, Ca
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 05:40:46 PM
I can't vote in the poll or comment I run S21s or S22s and always will as they are a perfect match for the S1000R. Also when bought with the rebate cost $200 or less for the set which is a great value.  :305: 

Offline Chinook

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R 18 sport
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 05:48:01 PM
Michelin Power RS. Sporty, grippy road tyre that give a progressive, rolling nature that complements the S1R and allows loads of feel. Performs well enough in the wet and in the cooler autumnal conditions. Wear appears good and yet to found the limits of the tyre. If you want front end confidence on your naked the Power RS is perfect 👌.

Offline SwooshieX

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2017 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Gatineau
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 07:16:21 PM
In all honesty, when I'll be back on the track I'll be using Q3 again unless something new comes along. But for sheer convenience and because I use my s1kr to tour and have fun I use Michelin Road 5. These things last forever and you have to push them very hard to find their limits.