Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I had a proper little wobble... not the hard-acceleration kind!  (Read 1291 times)

Headf0x and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: I had a proper little wobble... not the hard-acceleration kind!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by zombie [+]
Completely untrue.  Road has DDC/ESA adjustment, read your manual.

I've read the manual and I misunderstood what DDC Road meant.  Happy to be corrected  :002: Maybe I just happened to "catch out" the DDC somehow in that case.

Offline clik

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 1000R-SPORT
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »

Airsafari87
I can only assume that it was the Millenium Falcon that appears to have landed on the front of your bike that caused that small wobble?

i just spat my mince a tatties all over my keyboard   :745:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:05:43 PM by clik »

Offline clik

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 1000R-SPORT
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 06:16:26 PM »
Looking at the video on youtube that road has all the trucks and busses and all kinds of sh#t parking
right up to that bend it could have been diesel petrol or just a damp patch hope you sort it out . 

Online Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 05:18:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by clik [+]
Looking at the video on youtube that road has all the trucks and busses and all kinds of sh#t parking
right up to that bend it could have been diesel petrol or just a damp patch hope you sort it out .

Good point there and although I didn't notice a slide at the time, that would be a possible explanation! I am still confused as to how the bike would go into a small wobble like that in a relatively tame riding situation.

I'll be getting the suspension sag checked at some point in the near future too.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
Getting the sag set to you as the rider is important. Also at the 600 mile check up the front fork steering head bearing torque will be re set.

Online Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
Cheers beech, I hope to get the sag set this weekend and the first service is due so I'll be sure to mention the wobble and ask them to check that everything is as it should be.

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • I change tires, you buy them on the web. $50
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
Talking it over with the shop is a good plan. There really are many things that contribute to a wobble. I'd also look at the rear swing arm etc. The shop will check. Offer to let them use the bike for a while to experience what is going on. I have in the past let a bike remain at the shop so a service tech could ride it home for a week. Most wobbles of course deal with older bikes with more miles, things get out of spec. Your situation is unique for the S1000R. I do know of other bikes that have come from the factory with wobble problems in the past, Honda ST1300, Honda hurricanes others I'm sure.

Online Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 05:59:01 PM »
Yeah I'll certainly get the bike checked over thoroughly and I'll even show them the video!

Anyway I have an update... and a question for anyone reading!  I checked the sag today with the bike still on stock settings (DDC on Road, engine running and I also had 3/4 tank of fuel) and both the front and rear ends were at the lower end of the recommended values.  I got 6mm sag at the front (spec range in the manual is 6 - 10mm) and I got 20mm at the back (range is 20 - 24mm).  However... I weighed myself with the same clothes/kit I did the testing with and I weighed 78Kg.  The recommended sag values in the manual are for an 85Kg rider.

I'm a bit confused at this point.   Does the fact that the sag values I got mean that the preload is too low and needs increasing?  Seems pretty obvious when I think about it but I want to be sure I've got my thinking straight.  I guess for my weight I'd need to aim for something like 5mm sag front/19mm rear?

EDIT - sorry for several edits to rear sag value, bit confused about my notes from earlier.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:25:00 PM by Headf0x »

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:53:24 PM »
Here's my take on it(I am by no means anywhere near an expert, so please correct any misguided thoughts).
1) no matter what your weight the suspension travel for a given bike is the same.
2) wisdom(other people) tell us mere mortals that we should aim for the suspension to 'sag' about 30%, when we sit on the bike, this gives us 70% travel for compression and 30% for extension.
3) we should all aim for the same SAG numbers on the same bike(this is hard given the limited  preload adjustment available)

I am on the heftier side, probably 120kg with gear. I could get nowhere near the 6-10mm front(actually closest I got was 16) and got closeish at the rear, but both of those were with full pre-load adjustment, the only soultion for me is to get her re-sprung!!

with your numbers, my guess is that you have too much spring preload dialled in (or you need to go down to softer springs), I would remove all your spring preload(front and rear) and take measurements. If your SAg is now out of range (but on the high side)  slowly add in  pre-load and take measurements , repeat, etc.

Online Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 09:32:32 PM »
I am on the heftier side, probably 120kg with gear. I could get nowhere near the 6-10mm front(actually closest I got was 16) and got closeish at the rear, but both of those were with full pre-load adjustment, the only soultion for me is to get her re-sprung!!

Thanks for your reply Simon!  Here's the thing (at least the way I see it).  At 120kg, you shouldn't be aiming for the sort of numbers in the manual because they are based on a 85Kg rider.  In my mind your sag settings should be correspondingly higher values than in the book!  And that's why I think my figures suggest that my preload actually needs increasing, because hitting the numbers stated for a heavier rider says to me that the preload is too soft.  :087:

But maybe the manual is wrong (wouldn't be the first time...) and those sag figures should be what every rider, regardless of weight should be aiming for, which perhaps chimes in with your second and third points.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:33:24 PM by Headf0x »

Recent Posts/Topics