Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I had a proper little wobble... not the hard-acceleration kind!  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport '19
  • City / Town: Gloucester
I had a proper little wobble... not the hard-acceleration kind!
« on: December 08, 2019, 09:09:09 PM »

There's a bit more description on the YouTube page itself.
I threw the bike into a bend with the suspension set in Road mode and turns out that the bike didn't like it.  I guess the default Road damping is a bit too soft for that kind of thing.  I'm pretty much bang on the 85Kg weight that is mentioned in the manual when dressed in all my kit (if not a bit less) so I'll just have to make sure I'm in Dynamic mode next time before I start having fun!

Offline zoldar

• Non Active
  • S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
Re: I had a proper little wobble... not the hard-acceleration kind!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 09:29:24 PM »
Does a ride mode change suspension settings?  I thought that was handled by DDC settings...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 09:30:02 PM by zoldar »

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 09:55:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by zoldar [+]
Does a ride mode change suspension settings?  I thought that was handled by DDC settings...

On 2017+ bikes, the suspension modes are road and dynamic, I assume he's talking about DDC "Road" setting.

Offline Airsafari87

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2019 S1000R
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:06:56 PM »
I've watched that a few times now and given how gently you were riding and how the corner you were going around was barely a corner, there is no way a bike should wobble going around that, no matter what suspension mode you had it set in.

I can only assume that it was the Millenium Falcon that appears to have landed on the front of your bike that caused that small wobble?

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »
Zoldar and Zombie;

Yes I was talking abut the Road mode of DDC - not the rider modes.  In DDC, Road mode basically means "off" so there is no electronic adjustment happening in that mode.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:12:51 PM by Headf0x »

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:12:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Airsafari87 [+]
I've watched that a few times now and given how gently you were riding and how the corner you were going around was barely a corner, there is no way a bike should wobble going around that, no matter what suspension mode you had it set in.

I can only assume that it was the Millenium Falcon that appears to have landed on the front of your bike that caused that small wobble?

Well I can't really explain why it happened - only speculate that the damping in DDC Road was too soft for that sort of behaviour... I know what you mean though, I certainly would not have expected the bike to behave like that.

I would be interested if anyone else has ever had this happen to them?  The bike only has 400 Miles on and so the bouncy bits should be in tip top condition and I'm probably just about 85Kg fully kitted up.

EDIT - I haven't checked the tyre pressures since getting the bike so I'll check that out when I can find the damn tyre pressure gauge - its never around when you need it!

FURTHER EDIT - found it! it says 40 psi rear (2.75 bar) and 34 psi front (2.34 bar).  The manual says the cold pressures should be 2.9 bar  rear and 2.5 front.  So, I am down a little bit on the recommended pressures but not by a lot - there's only about three PSI in it.  I will correct the pressures before the next ride and I might have to try the same bit of road again with the same DDC settings... that will be fun!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:53:32 PM by Headf0x »

Online zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 11:25:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Headf0x [+]
Zoldar and Zombie;

Yes I was talking abut the Road mode of DDC - not the rider modes.  In DDC, Road mode basically means "off" so there is no electronic adjustment happening in that mode.

Completely untrue.  Road has DDC/ESA adjustment, read your manual.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 01:13:28 AM »
I don't really see a wobble. Maybe the pavement was very bumpy??

Offline zoldar

• Non Active
  • S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 03:02:55 AM »
I usually run 36 psi front and rear on the street.  2.9 bar 42psi seem a bit high to me - (I know its recommended).  My only handling issue is keeping the front end down  :001:

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 07:24:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by windyrun [+]
I don't really see a wobble. Maybe the pavement was very bumpy??

I'm very familiar with that section of road and I've been over it on many bikes - it's not especially bumpy.  The wobble admittedly isn't that clear from these two cameras (and impossible to see on the third camera because it wasn't fixed very rigidly to the bike and was moving around too much) but all I can say is if you were riding it and you had previous experience of badly handling bikes, you would have called it a wobble  :002:

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor