Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Showing some love  (Read 325 times)

Offline Slovan

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney Australia
Showing some love
« on: December 02, 2019, 04:43:56 AM »
So after owning her for a few years I have decided to show her the love she deserves.
Total strip down and clean.
As part of this am planning on removing the front sprocket cover as there seems to be a whole heap of muck in there.
Looks like there are 3 bolts holding this in - think there is something else connected in there tho?
Is it a speedo drive? any tips or anything to be careful of when doing this?

Expect to have a few more questions as I progress hence the thread....
Have also invested in a proper manual - looking forward that bad boy arriving.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Showing some love
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
I believe there are 4 bolts securing the front sprocket cover, and the wiring for the side stand switch is zip-tied to the front edge. Other than that there is nothing special about it.

Offline Mark_62

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Shepherdsville
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »
Slovan,

Your bike already looks 10 times cleaner than my bike which is only a few months old. It seems the weather in KY has been considerably more rainy than normal, and I have been considerably more busy than normal. I really believe these bikes get more dirt on them than an all day event on my XR 500 dirt bike back in the day. It all comes down to; do I want to ride or clean? However, I will be stripping it down to the bone after Christmas to do what you are doing, plus a few other things. Your bike looks great!! Good luck!!

Mark62

Online Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »
When cleaning the front sprocket cover, remember to do the same with the chain guard's rear leading edge - it doesn't accumulate nearly as much crap as the front cover but it can still get rather filthy there.
Also, don't loose the little spacer plate behind the front sprocket cover.

I would also suggest you look at cleaning the exhaust with Harpic since all of the fairings are off.
Makes that exhaust shine like brand new again  :017:

I got nothing.....

Offline Slovan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 12:04:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mark_62 [+]
Slovan,

Your bike already looks 10 times cleaner than my bike which is only a few months old. It seems the weather in KY has been considerably more rainy than normal, and I have been considerably more busy than normal. I really believe these bikes get more dirt on them than an all day event on my XR 500 dirt bike back in the day. It all comes down to; do I want to ride or clean? However, I will be stripping it down to the bone after Christmas to do what you are doing, plus a few other things. Your bike looks great!! Good luck!!

Mark62

Cheers Mate - have developed a bit of OCD of late....

Offline Slovan

• S1000R Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:06:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Enzio [+]
When cleaning the front sprocket cover, remember to do the same with the chain guard's rear leading edge - it doesn't accumulate nearly as much crap as the front cover but it can still get rather filthy there.
Also, don't loose the little spacer plate behind the front sprocket cover.

I would also suggest you look at cleaning the exhaust with Harpic since all of the fairings are off.
Makes that exhaust shine like brand new again  :017:

Yep that is the plan - cept imma use Autosol - that stuff is majic!!!

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor