Author Topic: Under Tank Panels  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Slovan

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney Australia
Under Tank Panels
on: November 27, 2019, 09:54:43 AM
Ok so I own a 2015 Black Beast.
The grey panels under the tank have always bugged me - so finally got around to taking them off and getting them painted. Simple right. Well in theory.
So old mate from the panel shop did a great job. Couldnt wait to get them home and put them on.
So the panels are secured with 3 x external screws and 1 x threaded bolt that is embedded within the panel itself (this is the bolt that connects the panels directly to the tank/body).
Now when I got the panels back there was a bright gold nut on the bolt - and because they were so different to everything i have seen on the bike assumed that the panel guy put them on to protect while spraying - so i removed them.
OK put the first panel in place, secured the bolt with the nut and then the 3 x external screws. Wow totally different looking bike! Then i hear a little tinkle - and out from under the bike pops a nut with half a bolt in it.
FARRRRK. Spewn.
Ok took it off and did the other side - same damn thing - obviously over tightened. Rookie error.
Ok of to BMW to get some replacement bolts.
This in itself is a whole other fucken story. Anyway. Today i got the bolts and have some questions re the install;
* does any one know if the gold nuts actually go on the bolt? So it would be black nut (that is secured to the bolt) then gold nut, then the black nut tightened.
* anyone by anychance have a photo of the threded bolt as it should be (nuts and all)
Cheers

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Re: Under Tank Panels
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:51:05 AM
I have stripped the panels off my 14 too many times to mention, and I have to say I do not recognize what you are describing.

Can you post photos of the panels you are talking about?

Offline Enzio

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Pretoria
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:51:10 PM
I'm also at a loss here.

From memory there are 2 fairings screws that hold the fuel tank cover and side panels that need to be removed.
Then you have the 1 fairing screw below the seat that secures only the side panel.

There are 2 speed clips on the fuel tank cover and a threaded insert on the rear sub frame that these thread into.

I can only assume you are referring to the speed clips?
I got nothing.....

Offline Wullie

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: LIVINGSTON
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:03:26 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I broke one. It is a metal (gold coloured) nut onto a plastic thread. I didn't realise the thread was plastic and broke the right hand side. I never bothered replacing it. The external bolts hold the panel in place securely enough and I'm not having any issues. I was much gentler with the other side!!!

Offline Slovan

• S1000R Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000R
  • City / Town: Sydney Australia
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 09:19:58 AM

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 02:13:24 PM
Ah, now I've got you!

Yep, mine broke the 1st I removed the panels. Never replaced them and that was 4 years and 30k miles ago. During that time had no issues with the panels being lose at all.

Offline sweatmark

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Oregon
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:23:44 PM
I'm a bit slow, but after 5 years of ownership those silver-ish side trim pieces started bugging me. Wanted them painted, wanted them to provide some grip. Checked with a truck bed spray liner shop, received large quote for small job so I did it myself:

1. Broke one of the plastic threaded stems, of course. Removed the sketchy plastic fasteners and stubborn rubber inserts, solved the reattachment problem with Obvious Orange zip ties.
2. Prepped surface - 120 grit to roughen up surface, 2 cleanings with degreaser, 2 coats of primer/adhesion promoter, 2 coats truck bed liner.
3. Result looks similar to the bike's frame finish. Will see how the paint holds up over time, especially where legs squeeze bike.

Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:46:34 PM by sweatmark
Mark
Oregon
K1300S, R1150R, S1000R

Offline bayank

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000r
  • City / Town: NJ
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 04:29:53 PM
Damn that looks good

Offline wdb2021

• S1000R Junior
  • City / Town: Bangkok
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 05:53:36 AM
Spray paint to fit the motorcycle, very cool. I like that shimmery color.

Offline Dicky-Art

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Ulverston
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:31:41 PM
Excellent job looks good. How would it look against a black tank?

sociology-monitor