Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Camchain noise  (Read 1712 times)

Teamgreen2, S1KR187 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online S1KR187

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000R MU
  • City / Town: Rustenburg
Camchain noise
« on: November 20, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »
Hey guys. I have a 2018 S1KR. I recently bougjt a new tensioner because the camchain is VERY noisy, in every gear and any speed. I bought a new tensioner today and stil need to install it. I had both tensioners in my hand, old and new, and I compressed them by hand. Both had that scratchy like feel to them. Now my question, if I install the new tensioner and this camchain noise/rattling is still there, what could be wrong? Bike has 9000km on and I recently had a Rapid bike EVO, sprint filter, ECU flahed and full Akra installed. Bime was running no prob for about 1000km,now this started. Should I be heavily concerned? I see these mods as bolt on and it doesnt reaaly mess arou d with the reliability. Correct me if Im wrong please and any thoughts. Thanks guys. Ride safe :152:

Online podders

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Midlands
Re: Camchain noise
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
If when you replace it and its still noisy, its possibly camshaft wear.

My local BMW tech tells me they have had a few '18 bikes in with premature wear to the lobes, apparently very noisy when they do go.

Warranty job anyway.

Offline cheese

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Phoenix AZ
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:09:54 AM »
This is a common issue on these bikes. I had mine changed to the silver plug version and noise is gone. 20K miles. BMW paid for it. Also my bike has full Akra, and power commander... no issues

Offline VARRAKK

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R '18
  • City / Town: Malm
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 07:58:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by S1KR187 [+]
Hey guys. I have a 2018 S1KR. I recently bougjt a new tensioner because the camchain is VERY noisy, in every gear and any speed. I bought a new tensioner today and stil need to install it. I had both tensioners in my hand, old and new, and I compressed them by hand. Both had that scratchy like feel to them. Now my question, if I install the new tensioner and this camchain noise/rattling is still there, what could be wrong? Bike has 9000km on and I recently had a Rapid bike EVO, sprint filter, ECU flahed and full Akra installed. Bime was running no prob for about 1000km,now this started. Should I be heavily concerned? I see these mods as bolt on and it doesnt reaaly mess arou d with the reliability. Correct me if Im wrong please and any thoughts. Thanks guys. Ride safe :152:

On my '18 the Cam Shaft was busted already at 6500km.
Record the sound of yours.

Online S1KR187

• S1000R Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
Have aproblem posting the vid. I replaced the tensioner and the bike idled for bout 5min and that chain rattling sound is still there. Would a manual tensioner make any difference and can I ride the way it is?

Offline Mitslol

• S1000R Junior
  • Bike: 2015 S1000R
  • City / Town: Alkmaar
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 12:17:33 AM »
Did you buy the silver plug for the hydraulic tensioner or did you buy a mechanical cam chain tensioner?

Or did you buy a whole new hydraulic tensioner?

A new hydraulic tensioner without the updated silver plug won't do much.

Online S1KR187

• S1000R Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:45 PM »
Hey all. I spoke to the workshop manager at my local BMW and he said I must bring in the bike so they can start to check. He wholeheartedly told me that any work or replacement of parts wont be covered under warranty due to the mods Ive done :435:  I rrally want my bike to be fixed, but Im abit in 2 minds:mind no1 is telling me to take the bike to get fixed while mind no2 is telling me to try a mechanical tensioner and c what happens :087:

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your issues especially since i have an '18 as well.

That said, it seems people are trying to help, but need answers to their questions.

... sounds like installing the silver plug is most likely the next step. If that doesn't help then you should take it to the shop and get their assessment assuming they are not charging you anything since all they can come up with other than the silver plug is a cam shaft problem. That would not be good since they will not cover it under warranty.

You may also consider going to a different dealer (if you have one). There is no point in arguing with a dealer over what they will do regarding warranty (in my experience) although I did get a very satisfactory response from Triumph NA (said they would pay warranty and any towing charges) when dealer said open my wallet and given them my money and maybe they would fix a factory recall in a few months when convenient for them

I'd stick a $50 silver plug on it and see what happens.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 04:42:58 PM by windyrun »

Online S1KR187

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »
Hi Windyrun. Thanks so much for your comment. Im also leaning more towards seeing what I can do first before I take it to the dealer. This way, if I fit the silver plug and the problem remains, I can just re-fit the black OEM plug. No my next question, where can I buy the silver plug? Is it an item from BMW or an aftermarket? If someo e has a link, I would appreciate it.  :152:

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
Roblaw and Simonuk have posted on the silver plug in the cam chain noise bulletin thread herein (from bmw I believe) so look there.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:21:31 PM by windyrun »

Recent Posts/Topics