Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I've joined the LED/Angel Eye club :-)  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Gloucester
I've joined the LED/Angel Eye club :-)
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »
The Angel Eyes are just cheap Ebay jobs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COB-LED-Headlight-Rings-Halo-Angel-Eyes-Xenon-Universal-High-Power-Bright/352332795348

I got the White 70mm versions that fit around the projector quite nicely, but I did snap off the three plastic tabs off the back of the angel eye though.  I decided to silicone seal it in (that's a messy job... if you are messy person lol) as I did fear that it might move around/fall out at higher speeds.  You do need to keep the little box of tricks that's inline with the cable by the way.  I went the caveman route of stripping back a bit of the plastic sheathing, poking the cables directly into the parking bulb socket and pushing the bulb back in... not pretty but no one can see it!

I have fitted a W5W Philips WhiteVision "Xenon effect" parking bulb in the high beam too - they are blue coated but give a whiter light than the standard bulb.  5W LED bulbs were so bright that they washed out the halo effect when looking at the bike from the front.  I do have an LED W5W in the low beam unit though, I quite like the look of that.  Links below!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MZQUU70/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-CAR-BULBS-LED-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-XENON-WHITE-W5W-501-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB-12V-24V/113318890716

I also have LED H7 and HB3 bulbs in there too (after a few false starts with unsuitable and badly designed ones).  No verdict on them as I've not ridden the bike at all with them in.  Since I'm not sure how they will fare I don't want to link them just yet... I know how expensive it gets when trying to suss out they best bulbs for you when there are so many options out there!

I snapped off the lower mounting peg from the headlight/indicator fairing on the right side early on... I had only freed the top mount before I started pulling up.  Moral of the strory... RTFM!  :172: Finally, I've also noticed that now that I've had the top fairings on and off a few times, the top headlight/indicator mounting peg is actually starting to wear!  Granted, this is the same side that I broke the second peg from, but I've only done 200 miles from new so far and the problem seems more like friction wear from removal and fitting.  I can see me having to buy a new right side top fairing before long.

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
Re: I've joined the LED/Angel Eye club :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »
Looks great!  I jumped on this mod a few months ago and I think aesthetically, it gives the front end a complete look.
17S1KR

Offline trythat

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: Black S1000R
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
I've aso fitted this halo light but I didn't bother with the silicon, last time I looked it was still there :) I too wished I'd RTFM before I started, especially as I have the PDF which I find easier to read :)

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:09:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by MA413 [+]
Looks great!  I jumped on this mod a few months ago and I think aesthetically, it gives the front end a complete look.

Yes I agree, and it surpises me that BMW never offered LEDs as an option themselves.  I'd love to replace both lenses with decent afetermarket projectors but a mod like that is a bit too rich for my blood!

*Originally Posted by trythat [+]
I've aso fitted this halo light but I didn't bother with the silicon, last time I looked it was still there :) I too wished I'd RTFM before I started, especially as I have the PDF which I find easier to read :)

Good to hear that yours is still in place! I felt that if I poked and prodded I could get a finger under the halo and pull it out from the front.. it just didn't look all that secure to me.  I've also got the PDF.... plus I can also get a laptop in the shed so basically it's just pure ignorance on my part!  :112:

Offline stanksbeamen

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Honolulu
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »
I did the same thing months ago and love the look but my low beam ended up going out. It was just corrosion in the fittings so quick fix, decided to make a YouTube video on this install. If anyone wants to do this they can see what it takes.  :152:

2017 S1000R
1997 E36 M3

Recent Posts/Topics