Author Topic: An easier solution to the low beam shutoff.  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Timayz

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1KR
  • City / Town: Cabot
Re: An easier solution to the low beam shutoff.
Reply #60 on: January 08, 2021, 05:03:28 PM
*Originally Posted by beech [+]
Just as a follow up as I don't do much night riding, does the ground return from the headlamps handle the current for a reasonable time. I read an article of another model bike, I think an early K series that there was only one ground return and two lamps was too much for it when someone tried something like this. I don't have a wire diagram that shows the return wiring set up.

Looking at this electrically there is no additional load outside of the added diode.  All this diode is doing is triggering a relay which is very little power draw through the diode. The relay is the factory designed relay and it is what holds the "load" for the circuit/lights both positive and negative.  So additional ground load in comparison to the factory design would be zero, I / we didn't add a ground or additional load to a ground. 
Do not forget the bikes were designed to operate this way outside of the US so we are not increasing the duty cycle of the circuits beyond designed. That is the bonus of this mod using the relays is you are not asking one circuit to energize both lights. Just to hold one additional relay closed.
I do not know the circuits/bike you are referring to.  My guess would be that it was never designed to hold both lights on at all times like our bike was designed to do from the factory.
-tim
Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:11:57 PM by Timayz

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #61 on: January 08, 2021, 09:59:02 PM
I was thinking in terms of current to the head lamps now that both are on at the same time. (not the diode set up) There is now 100watts flowing into the combined lamp system. If they only have a common ground wire I worry the typical BMW 18 ga (don't know the metric measurement in mm) might not be up to it unless each lamp, low and high beams have seperate ground wires.

Offline Timayz

• S1000R Member
Reply #62 on: January 08, 2021, 11:14:02 PM
I was thinking in terms of current to the head lamps now that both are on at the same time. (not the diode set up) There is now 100watts flowing into the combined lamp system. If they only have a common ground wire I worry the typical BMW 18 ga (don't know the metric measurement in mm) might not be up to it unless each lamp, low and high beams have seperate ground wires.
Sorry you exposed my flaw.  In text I get way ahead of myself and usually say more than I need to mudding up the important parts.  Our Bikes were engineered by BMW to have both lights on at the same time.  Only in the US were they forced to not allow both to be on at the same time so the circuits can handle it.  The same bike overseas operates with the same circuits and both lights on at the same time so I do not see how this could be a worry.

Offline Timayz

• S1000R Member
Reply #63 on: January 08, 2021, 11:32:06 PM

To help show this visually in red you can follow the two grounds to the battery separately.

Offline Grumpy Goat

• S1000R Member
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
Reply #64 on: January 08, 2021, 11:35:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Timayz [+]
Sorry you exposed my flaw.  In text I get way ahead of myself and usually say more than I need to mudding up the important parts.  Our Bikes were engineered by BMW to have both lights on at the same time.  Only in the US were they forced to not allow both to be on at the same time so the circuits can handle it.  The same bike overseas operates with the same circuits and both lights on at the same time so I do not see how this could be a worry.

I have ridden my bike in the night a bit since doing the mod and while I have not had both lights on at the same time for an extended period, I have had them in long enough that if there was to be a problem there would have been. I am not worried.
Regards,
Grumpy Goat
2016 BMW R1200RS
2014 BMW S1000R

Offline beech

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R, K1300S
  • City / Town: Mount Vernon, WA
Reply #65 on: January 09, 2021, 05:42:20 AM
Super thanks guys. I still love my bike and not even the 21 model is tempting me. My 17 is just right. (though the gear ratio in 4,5 & 6 change is a good idea.) I should have looked over to the right and I'd have seen the headlamps, duh.
Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:52:03 AM by beech