Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Don't apply paint protection film to your bike in a dimly lit shed...  (Read 660 times)

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R Sport
  • City / Town: Gloucester
... at night, in the cold.  What a tw&t.  I really should have waited till the weekend!  I'll probably have to pull it all off again when I see the full horror of my efforts in daylight.  I recorded over two hours of footage before deciding that this video isn't going on YouTube 😄

It was the tank protection kit from Chipguard UK.  You need patience and lots of light to find the inevitable air bubbles and little specs of dirt/dust.  I did spray water in the air first to try and reduce the amount of dust floating around but you'll never get rid of it all.

Another warning with this particular kit... the water applicator bottle that comes with the kit has a stupid paper sticky label on it... it falls to bits as you handle the bottle and the film with your wet fingers.  Cover the label with gaffa tape 👍

Offline mad ad

• S1000R Pro
Re: Don't apply paint protection film to your bike in a dimly lit shed...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 06:43:23 AM »
Yes good lighting is a must with light sources from all angles if you can, working from the centre out to remove all bubbles, you want the temp to be warm somewhere like 18c-22c is a nice working temp. This will help with the curing process (help the water to evaporate better and no condensation) and always allow double the time it says to fit it!!

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 08:50:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by mad ad [+]
Yes good lighting is a must with light sources from all angles if you can, working from the centre out to remove all bubbles, you want the temp to be warm somewhere like 18c-22c is a nice working temp. This will help with the curing process (help the water to evaporate better and no condensation) and always allow double the time it says to fit it!!

Thanks for your reply.  I took a look this morning and... as expected it doesn't look good!!  Have you got any tips for taking this stuff back off again?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:51:42 AM by Headf0x »

Offline mad ad

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
Hmmm difficult one, because there are a number of things that could go wrong, sorry I know you will probably dont want to hear that, but the problems you might get at removing it is
You may stretch the film and put it out of shape if it has been cut to measure the tank (you might save it with heat once refitting to shrink it back down)
The adhesive might not be as good as the first time you fitted it(might lift on a corner over time)
If you have abit of dust on the film it may be difficult to remove.

There is a lot factors in it.

But if you want to retry it, use the water solution you apply it with again and spray it under the film and keep working it under, this will make it easier to move and manipulate. Do not use any heat as this will shrink the film even more.

Also you could give the company you ordered the film off and see what they say about it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:15:23 PM by mad ad »

Offline MA413

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 17S1KR
  • City / Town: New England
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 05:03:50 PM »
Thats misery for sure.  I used a work lamp, household spray bottle with a pinch of dish soap, and a credit card to apply my film on the tank.  It took a bit of time but I have zero defects.  The work lamp kept me and the tank warm and I plastered the tank with the dish soap water solution so you can manipulate the film.
17S1KR

Offline MarketSquareHero

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
I feel your pain,this is why I always get a professional to do mine.
I'm useless at that sort of thing,can't even do my phone correctly.

Offline mad ad

• S1000R Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »
I am no PPF expert but I am a retired vehicle detailer so know what sort of prep and work that goes in to it. I did 5-7 days on cars and polishing them to perfection, removing every defect, swirl, buffer trail. Bikes was also done, I do it as a hobby now and mine is covered in ceramic coatings, everything from the frame, wheels, exhaust, plastics and paint. Things like bolts and parts of the engine is ACF50 coated.

Offline N.W.Den

• S1000R Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by mad ad [+]
I am no PPF expert but I am a retired vehicle detailer so know what sort of prep and work that goes in to it. I did 5-7 days on cars and polishing them to perfection, removing every defect, swirl, buffer trail. Bikes was also done, I do it as a hobby now and mine is covered in ceramic coatings, everything from the frame, wheels, exhaust, plastics and paint. Things like bolts and parts of the engine is ACF50 coated.

Interested in ceramic coating mine.
Can you recommend a decent product, mad ad ?

Offline Headf0x

• S1000R Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
I think I'll just get this film off without trying to save it and chalk it up to experience!  I'm on the fence now, might try it again or I may go for a tank grip/tank pad combo instead.... seems like less trouble 😄
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:15:16 PM by Headf0x »

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 11:26:37 PM »
I had similar issues with my protection kit for the multistrada I bought from tankslapper...  the curves are very complex and some of the pieces are massive so I eventually said to heck with it and tore it off and put it in the bin.

I didn't have any issues putting the kit on my S1000R, for the record :P

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor