Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish  (Read 2563 times)

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • any day on 2 wheels is a good day
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
The day has finally arrived for my R to head off to a new owner and for the big GS to take its place in my garage.

It was interesting to ride my R for one last time without all the aftermarket add-ons to remind myself what it was like when I first got it. The brake and clutch actions felt quite different without the adjustable Rizoma levers. Most noticeable was how poor the stock mirrors are (so blurry) and how much worse the handlebar vibes are without the Rizoma mirrors. Definitely two mods I'd do again if another R ever beckons.

For now, it's 600 miles of neutered fun (5K rev limit, partial throttle openings) until the GS is run in and can be used in anger.

Best wishes to you all for a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
The break in miles will go quickly and soon enough you'll be riding the pants off the the shaft driven boxer beast. Looks sweet all blacked out. Enjoy the holidays modding your new ride! Would be nice to see some pics when you've got her all dressed.

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2019, 01:31:59 PM »
Congratulation on your new GS!! She looks fantastic in black with those gold wheels  :062:

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2019, 01:35:22 PM »
It was interesting to ride my R for one last time without all the aftermarket add-ons to remind myself what it was like when I first got it. The brake and clutch actions felt quite different without the adjustable Rizoma levers. Most noticeable was how poor the stock mirrors are (so blurry) and how much worse the handlebar vibes are without the Rizoma mirrors. Definitely two mods I'd do again if another R ever beckons.

I had a similar experience, I didn't remember how big of a difference adding a $17 amazon windscreen made until I took it off.  Personally I never had any issues with the functionality of the OEM mirrors, just that they looked hideous.
To make the 150km highway ride to my dealer just that little bit worse, when I put the OEM levers back on I guess the little tab on the clutch lever wasn't aligned properly so my cruise control didn't work :P

Offline Art:543

• S1000R Member
  • Bike: S1000R
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 03:20:57 AM »
Well done Simon,
I am in a similar boat , but not ready to sell yet I think ?
All my riding mates have various machines sports tourers / adventure bikes. We trip away and the S1KR is awesome however pathetic luggage capacity
**( any suggestions l am considering a Ventura rack for some additional space to supplement a little tail bag because cheapish and easily removable)**
Or the interesting occasion of turning on to 50km rutted dirt roads (accidentally) has given me thoughts to change.
Along with the constabulary managing my licence like a play thing. It seems that some isolated back country roads in Victoria / Australia should be ridden at 80 km/h Really ?
Ironically on buying my S1000r the fellow at the dealership told me , I would return in a few years and buy a GS at the time I thought nonsense, and he was referring to me being over 50 but ???
Good luck
Well done

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
Art, I would absolutely recommend Ventura luggage for the R. Great capacity, very quick to install / remove and rock steady when its on the bike (tested to 140+mph on a number of occasions). Ive used the same bag on my last 3 bikes and it is still going strong. Good for carrying about a weeks worth of gear in my experience.

My brother-in-law is now switching to a GS from his GSX-S1000. One of my riding friends is also looking at making the switch from his 929 Fireblade. Looks like I started a trend amongst my riding group!  :008:

Offline windyrun

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: '18 S1000R
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »
I have the sw moto soft side bags (bmw branded ones). They aren't that big but there are two, they are expandable, seem high quality, have good mounting brackets (beware of wear on paint though), and hold on/are stable at 100 mph on private road test.

Add a top box and tank bag and there is a fair amount of space.

• S1000R Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 06:55:54 AM »
Thanks lads
Sage advice indeed, I am looking at Ventura for all the pre stated pros, I think also with the rack I can attach my Ogio with straps.
Also a bunch of mates with full capacity GS's , boasting enough room for th kitchen sink they can spare an inch for my Y-fronts
Hooray

• S1000R Member
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
Art, I would absolutely recommend Ventura luggage for the R. Great capacity, very quick to install / remove and rock steady when its on the bike (tested to 140+mph on a number of occasions). Ive used the same bag on my last 3 bikes and it is still going strong. Good for carrying about a weeks worth of gear in my experience.

Hi Simon ,
I am sold on the Ventura rack, I was hoping to pair it with my Oggio Tail bag approx 30 x 38 cm base what model rack do you have to fit the bike. I have a 2016 model.
BTW have you got the GS yet and if so, are you very very satisfied
Cheers Art :062:

My brother-in-law is now switching to a GS from his GSX-S1000. One of my riding friends is also looking at making the switch from his 929 Fireblade. Looks like I started a trend amongst my riding group!  :008:

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »
Hi Art, I had the following rack components for my R:
L-brackets B035.1/B
Pack rack PF12/B*
Grab handle GH12/18/B (replaces the pack rack)

* The UK Ventura website now lists a different version of the Pack Rack as PF30/B, so I guess mine has become obsolete.

My bag is really old and is no longer a current model. I would say its probably closest to the current Aero Spada VII bag.

Ive had the GS for just over a month now and am enjoying it. Only 300 miles so far due to the wintery weather. Not too cold but a lot of rain which, in combination with all the mud and cows**t that the farmers deposit on our rural Somerset roads at this time of year, doesnt make for great riding conditions...

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »
Ive had the GS for just over a month now and am enjoying it. Only 300 miles so far due to the wintery weather. Not too cold but a lot of rain which, in combination with all the mud and cows**t that the farmers deposit on our rural Somerset roads at this time of year, doesnt make for great riding conditions...

But, it's a GS...... :164:

Recent Posts/Topics

sociology-monitor