Author Topic: So long and thanks for all the fish  (Read 5300 times)

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 R1250GS TE
  • City / Town: Somerset
Re: So long and thanks for all the fish
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 01:49:12 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. The camaraderie on here is what has made this forum great compared to so many others Iíve seen.

If I had a bigger budget, I would absolutely have kept the R alongside the GS because itís been such a great bike. The much-rumoured new R is going to have to work hard to better the existing package.

Although it will make no difference to performance, the TFT screen would be a good step forwards if the one on the GS is anything to go by. So clear and so much functionality in an easy-to-use system. Just another 7-ish weeks to wait until I get to play with mine!

Offline CrazyBiker

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: S1R|Tuono|Tiger
  • City / Town: Fremont, CA
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 08:15:20 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
So, after just over 4 years of ownership, I've decided to move on from my much-loved 2015 S1000R.  It has, quite simply, given me the most smiles per mile of any bike I've owned so far.  It has given me much fun on the mountain roads of the Austrian Alps, the Pyrenees and the Dolomites and never missed a beat.  There were only a couple of notable issues in 15,000 miles - faulty LH switchgear and disappearing coolant - both fixed under warranty.

However, I've had a hankering to ride something different for a while for a few reasons.  Aside from the CG125 that I learned to ride on, it's been IL4s all the way. SWMBO would like to start riding pillion again. I find myself riding with a range of different people who aren't so focussed on speed and performance.  My left elbow has been giving me grief.

I tried a Super Duke GT a few weeks ago and was generally impressed with the bike.  The low end lumpiness wasn't great but the poor experience I had with two different dealers really put me off.  Then, an ex-S1000R owning friend at work mentioned that he was currently riding a GS and told me I might be surprised if I tried one. Now, the GS has never been on my radar, but I figured a boxer twin is very different from an IL4, the pillion perch would be much more comfortable for her indoors and it wouldn't feel like such a caged beast when I'm out with other riding friends... so what the hell?

So, last weekend, I took a 1250 GS out for a test ride.  I'm a bit of a shorty, but the dealer was quite happy to pop the low seat on the demo bike which let me flat-foot it. It felt massively alien at first, but I gave it a good 100 miles of Welsh A and B roads and a stint on the M5 motorway.  For sure it isn't a sports bike, but it has a huge amount of torque and can still get a wriggle on.  It's also undeniably a heavy bike, but this is much less apparent on the move.  I didn't expect 3rd gear overtakes in Dynamic mode to have the front wheel skipping off the road. And that, as they say, was that.  Part ex agreed, deposit put down and hopefully a brand new 1250 GS will be delivered on my birthday in December.

I've really enjoyed being a member of this forum, it's been great to be part of the s1000r.co.uk community. I'll most likely continue to lurk here to keep in touch with all things R-related. In the meantime, I'll be posting a few goodies for sale as I de-mod my bike ready for the trade in.  Happy riding to you all!

I was also a I4 guy until I got a V4, a triple and now a Panigale 1299S. S1000R is probably the best bang for buck moto out there but that I4 just doesn't stir your soul like a V motor does.
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S NRC FE|Throttle Spacers|StompGrips|Heatshields|T-Rex Protection
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory  RACE ECU|Akra Exhaust|RSV4 Bellpan|CF Tank/Tail sliders|Powerbronze Screen|Koso Heated Grips
2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S ADV protection

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 12:33:21 PM
Well, Iíll start to find out soon if a switch to the boxer twin was the right choice. The big GS has departed Berlin and Iíll be picking it up on Monday 23rd...

Offline Hooligan

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 18 S1KR
  • City / Town: Montreal
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 12:43:40 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonS1KR [+]
Well, Iíll start to find out soon if a switch to the boxer twin was the right choice. The big GS has departed Berlin and Iíll be picking it up on Monday 23rd...
Happy (early) xmas ! By all accounts, from the reviews I've read it's a great machine. Enjoy getting to know it.

Offline SimonUK

• S1000R Grand Master
  • Bike: S1000XR, S1000R
  • City / Town: Upstate SC
Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
My wife has a R1250GS(factory lowered) and they are great bikes. When I ride I just feel that it runs out of 'go' too quickly, maybe this is just a case of riding it more and getting used to a different character, but I find I run into the rev limiter all the time. My other gripe is that teh SQ is nowhere near as refined as that on my R and XR, probably the big boxer affecting that.

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 01:32:25 PM
The lack of a screaming top end is probably the biggest uncertainty for me as thatís what Iím so familiar with from all the IL4s Iíve owned. I think my dealer summed it up perfectly when she said the GS is more like a performance diesel in that itís all about the low and mid range grunt rather than high rev horsepower. On four wheels, thatís exactly what I like, so I drive a performance diesel. Iíll need to get some mileage under my belt on the GS to see how well it works for me on two wheels.

I totally agree about the QS, the demo bike was fine on downshifts but pretty clunky on upshifts. No worse than the SDGT I tried a few months ago though. In reality, I hardly ever use the QS on my R as I just enjoy manual shifting, so itís not a deal maker or breaker for me.

The first order of business is going to be spending the Christmas holiday fitting all the accessories Iíve already bought for the GS... I have a whole pile of toys and just need a bike to put them on  :008:

Offline zombie

• S1000R Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000R
  • City / Town: Oromocto
Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 01:50:29 PM
Only thing I miss from the S1KR is the shift assist pro, I will likely go with a rapid bike w/ up down QS for my Multi.  The multi seems to be the best of both worlds to me, it has a ton of low-down power but still seems to pull quite hard higher in the revs.

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2018-S1KR Sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 10:48:05 PM
 :152:

The best of both worlds.
Stay upright/Stay Safe

Offline SimonS1KR

• S1000R Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 10:05:39 PM
The day has finally arrived for my R to head off to a new owner and for the big GS to take its place in my garage.

It was interesting to ride my R for one last time without all the aftermarket add-ons to remind myself what it was like when I first got it. The brake and clutch actions felt quite different without the adjustable Rizoma levers. Most noticeable was how poor the stock mirrors are (so blurry) and how much worse the handlebar vibes are without the Rizoma mirrors. Definitely two mods I'd do again if another R ever beckons.

For now, it's 600 miles of neutered fun (5K rev limit, partial throttle openings) until the GS is run in and can be used in anger.

Best wishes to you all for a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Offline Wiffa

• S1000R Pro
  • Bike: 2018-S1KR Sport
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 10:14:51 PM
Great Xmas present  :305:

The Gold rims are a perfect fit.

Enjoy
You and yours have a great Xmas & NY

sociology-monitor